PDA

View Full Version : am i cut out for this?

stan1
1st April 2011, 08:25 PM
does any one have a template for the side panel cut outs ? or is their a link for this? what is the best tool to use ? in anticipation a big thanks.

twinturbo
1st April 2011, 08:34 PM
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5578&highlight=template

TT

stan1
1st April 2011, 09:01 PM
thanks a lot twin turbo

wylliezx9r
1st April 2011, 09:03 PM
Bit of advice, as good as the template is, use it as a reference only and make your own template and offer it up before making the cuts. It was of great value to me but it wasnt dead on and obviously everybodies builds are slightly different. It was the scariest thing I've done on this build thats for sure!

Cheers Dan

stan1
1st April 2011, 09:17 PM
will do my friend +thankyou/

minicountryman1961
2nd April 2011, 06:56 AM
what is the best tool to use ?

Buy a good pair of red aviation snips. Not the regular ones, get the offsets. Use a pair of dividers to scribe the line. drill a starter hole with a Uni-bit. When using red snips cut the circle counter-clockwise.

http://malcoproducts.com/product/automotive/autobody-tools/snips/aviation-snips-offset-avs

Talonmotorsport
2nd April 2011, 10:50 AM
Fibreglass or ali?

Adrian

I've got an image now of the results of trying to cut GRP with aviation snips!
Next week on custom my ride we'll be trying to cut a sun roof in a 54 sedan with garden shears.

minicountryman1961
2nd April 2011, 02:51 PM
I've got an image now of the results of trying to cut GRP with aviation snips!
Next week on custom my ride we'll be trying to cut a sun roof in a 54 sedan with garden shears.

Sorry, obviously I assumed he was building a Haynes Roadster to book design. If he is using glass parts an Oxy/Aceylene torch would be the best choice, but only because in the UK firearms are hard to obtain, here we would use a 45 caliber pistol to make the holes.

Talonmotorsport
2nd April 2011, 04:36 PM
Sorry, obviously I assumed he was building a Haynes Roadster to book design. If he is using glass parts an Oxy/Aceylene torch would be the best choice, but only because in the UK firearms are hard to obtain, here we would use a 45 caliber pistol to make the holes.

Oh now thats funny! I'm sitting here giggling to myself :D
Guns are not hard to find here in the UK most farmers own shot guns although the pattern is not correct for the front brackets. 9mm semi auto's can be brought in Romford or Dagenham for £200-300 although don't come with a years warrenty or a foam lined storage case.

gundog
2nd April 2011, 05:08 PM
dont dis romford phil
you know iv got guns and i know where you lurk!!!!!

andy

Talonmotorsport
2nd April 2011, 05:14 PM
See.... my point exactly! :D
that aside is your chassis on wheels yet Andy or are you now mumbling to your self telling me to shut up?

gundog
2nd April 2011, 05:24 PM
there are wheels near it,having trouble at the moment with a crappy firm wanting me to keep going to work....
bought a newish compressor last week,some 121 epoxy mastic paint from rustbuster and really need to get on but my wifes very demanding sexually (i wish)and i cant stay awake for long enough to work on the car....
andy

Talonmotorsport
2nd April 2011, 05:40 PM
Ah Andy I am glad you wrote in with this problem of time spent in the build area verses personal involvement,and it's one that comes up alot with in the car building community. I think I've found a solution to your problem and many more sufferers of it, simply buy your wife/girl friend some sexy undies to go under a boiler suit and ask her for some help with the build! Then when you finish with what ever has been done you find some thing else to do before the post deed nap kicks in.
Tune in next week when we will looking at what happens when we ask how long after dinner is a good time to say 'just poping out to the garage till 11pm'.

gundog
2nd April 2011, 05:51 PM
im not wasting project money on underwear it would only get ruined with oily hands anyway.
and i deffo do not want her in the garage as she'll only want to moan about the messy conditions.

andy

Talonmotorsport
2nd April 2011, 05:54 PM
Just buy her some black pvc as it's wipe clean. If not then I'm affraid your well and truely stuffed old son!

Bonzo
2nd April 2011, 08:03 PM
This thread has had me in stitches :D :D

What was it tht the lager adverts used to say .... We don't make forum posts but if we did, they would probably be the best :D

Certainly bought a smile to my day :)

stan1
2nd April 2011, 11:46 PM
tried all that lads , but its embarrising when i spend 3 hours looking for a squeak on the car then remember the wifes wearing her new rubber knickers........ps the new panels are grp !

carlknight1982
3rd April 2011, 12:11 PM
Stan its all good aslong as its the "wife/Gf/consenting adult" wearing the rubber nicks and not you!

:)