PDA

View Full Version : A horn quickie

Peter-C
3rd April 2011, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know if you can use either of the horns off the donor. I gather one is the normal one and one for the alarm.

Cheers

Pete

twinturbo
3rd April 2011, 06:40 PM
Depending on the spec and year you could have 3.

Use either of the two behind the front bumper. Both if you want a dual tone.

TT

monsterob
3rd April 2011, 06:40 PM
On my donor there was two not sure if tgere for use as you described i thought they had seperate notes so you get the noise you get when someone cuts you up followed by the usuall gestures and swears

Bonzo
3rd April 2011, 07:00 PM
Darn, there was me thinking that this thread was going to be a bit saucy :o :o

Seriously though as Rob said, either of the one fitted behind the bumper will do, failing that any old second hand horn from the breakers should do the trick :)

minicountryman1961
3rd April 2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

I got one of these BadBoy airhorns for my Honda Civic. Got tired of having a wimpy horn. Now people are startled when I blow it. One piece horn and compressor. Easy to mount, I will get another for my roadster when the time comes.

flyerncle
3rd April 2011, 09:10 PM
Two horns dual tone,one high the other low and nice and noisy.

JakeH
3rd April 2011, 09:40 PM
train horns? :D

Jake

Bonzo
3rd April 2011, 09:56 PM
train horns? :D

Jake

Now that is what I would call a " Get out of my way " Horn :D

I can well imagine how high the IVA tester would jump when he tries the horn :eek: :D

monsterob
3rd April 2011, 09:59 PM
youtube train horns theres one going around waking people up in the states quite funny

i want the mexican hat airhorn but i cant find it anymore

http://www.airhorns.co.uk/
:D

just plug it in to your battery see if it works you need a positive feed and an earth for the horn to work and obviously the switch when fully wired

JakeH
3rd April 2011, 11:02 PM
Now that is what I would call a " Get out of my way " Horn :D

I can well imagine how high the IVA tester would jump when he tries the horn :eek: :D

haha ye i know a guy who put some on his land rover, well he got 'angry' with an unmarked car and a right royal telling off followed so he had to bin them, illegal for road use apparently :o

Jake

Peter-C
4th April 2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for that but I now have another horny question !!

The switch inside the steering wheel is for a switched earth which the donor does by relays or the alarm unit. I didn't intend to use a relay, but both of the horns have the body connected to earth. Can I use the horn push as a switched live or is this dangerous ?
Hope someone understands.

Cheers

Pete

Bonzo
4th April 2011, 06:29 PM
Hi Peter

Adrian is bang on there :cool:

If the horns are earthed at the body ( Only have a single pin for the live )
Use the horn push wire to switch a realy as sugested.

Not a great idea to use a live wire for the horn push ;)

I am sure some bright bod will knock you up a quick diagram if you shoud run into any problems :)

Peter-C
4th April 2011, 06:33 PM
Cheers Adrian
PM sent.