PDA

View Full Version : Chopping up a donor

Beardy_John
7th April 2008, 08:30 PM
Hi guys,

Seem to be having trouble finding a scrapper locally who will pick up my sierra without the paperwork. Has anyone tried cutting it into small pieces and taking it to the scrapper themselves?? Big job??

Cheers

jabs
7th April 2008, 10:14 PM
That's exactly what I am doing, and have done in the past. Best to use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade. Helps to have a big trailer as well.

Beardy_John
7th April 2008, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately I only have a 4" angry grinder and an estate :)

Neil P
8th April 2008, 12:18 AM
I cut mine into pieces and took it on my bike trailer. It amused the girl working on the scrap bin at the tip - you'd think she'd never seen a Sierra arrive like that before!

I had the luxury of a 9" grinder. Could be hard work with a 4" one, though.

You could hire a Stihl saw for the day.

Neil

jabs
8th April 2008, 08:49 AM
Use the 1mm disks, they cut through the sheet metal like a hot knife through butter. Something like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-115-x1mm-THIN-INOX-METAL-CUTTING-DISK-DISC-for-BOSCH_W0QQitemZ250232188315QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2077 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Username
8th April 2008, 06:10 PM
...never thought of chopping the old bastard...guess im gonna have some fun with the plasma cutter :D

Chris Gibbs
8th April 2008, 06:47 PM
I still have nightmares about my dad and grandad cutting up a Bentley to get rid of it in the sixties.

That was with the "gas axe", hugely entertaining but highly dangerous!

Cheers

Chris :)

les g
8th April 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi guys,

Seem to be having trouble finding a scrapper locally who will pick up my sierra without the paperwork. Has anyone tried cutting it into small pieces and taking it to the scrapper themselves?? Big job??

Cheers

as neil said
beg borrow or hire a petrol saw (stilh/partner /makita ) we did !!! two hours three abrasive discs and it all went in the back of the toyota pick-up truck
as neil mentioned before to me dont forget to cut out and keep the chassis no plates
cheers les g

snapper
8th April 2008, 11:04 PM
There has been some issues recently on other forums of DVLA continuous registration people chassing you up if you cant prove that you have disposed of it, so take photos or get a scrap metal merchant to take it away, they also will givwe scrap value on weight, make sure you get a reciept and there should be no more trouble from DVLA.
If you weigh it in take off the chassis number and the VIN plates, keep it on SORN until you have the MAC in your hand.
Do all this and you will have a trouble free transition from donor to on the road kitcar

ozz
9th April 2008, 11:43 AM
I was thinking that it might be easier to scrap my donor once the bits were off to avoid all the trouble of the scrapman (sorry person) not wanting to take it away without the paper work.

As I understand it I'd have to register with a Q plate and not an age related plate if I did this.

I can't think of what is wrong with having a Q plate?

I believe that the date of manufacture for tax purposes will be the date of the SVA so an age related plate would not give a tax advantage.

The requirement for a CAT is determined at SVA which is before registration (I think).

Have I missed something obvious?

What are everyone else's opinions on whether an age related is better than a Q?

Chris Gibbs
9th April 2008, 12:29 PM
The main problem people have with a Q plate is that you can't swap it for a personalised plate, and a bit of a stigma attached to the older kit cars which were Q plated.

I've driven both and rest assured you really can't tell when you're driving!

I wouldn't personally make any great effort to avoid a Q plate.

cheers

Chris :)

Beardy_John
9th April 2008, 10:22 PM
Well thats cleared something up for me anyway, I always wondered what the fuss was about with the Q plate. I quite like them :):) Make it stand out a bit more!

Found a bloke locally who'll collect it, but it'll cost me £30 quid. Worth it really as its currently sat on the Mother-in-laws drive on 4 axel stands :):)