PDA

View Full Version : Aluminiun side panels

james3004
11th April 2011, 12:21 PM
What angle bend do you put in the side panel at the front? It doesn't say in the book

Bonzo
11th April 2011, 12:38 PM
Hi James

I wing it method .... Just bent the panel until it looked right :o

Would measure the angle for you but unfortunately, I don't think I can get to my sides ( Currently buried up in the workshop )

Once you have a break on the bend line, it I quite easy to correct the angle by a few degrees either way ;)

Not a lot of help but I am sure that someone will know the angle :)

james3004
11th April 2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks ronnie that was the method I was going to use but thought there might be a 'proper' angle:D

Jimmyd
11th April 2011, 01:04 PM
I assume you about the lower horizontal bend when it starts to approach the front. Personally I think they look better if not bent. Look at the fibreglass ones they are all flat sided.

J

Bonzo
11th April 2011, 01:10 PM
I know what you mean James :)

If using the book pattern, you are really governed by the 25mm of material that is to be folded under the bottom rails in the engine bay, so I guess the angle will more or less find itself.

Just try not to over cook the bend too much if you are winging it :eek:

Have a measure of your steering rack boot's, I think you'll find that the cut outs detailed in the book are too small ;)

deezee
11th April 2011, 01:19 PM
I took a scrap piece of aluminium and did a test bend first. Then used it as a template to bend the side panel. Worked a charm. As Ronnie says, check the holes at the front for the steering rack, as my rack gaitors touched when I did mine.