PDA

View Full Version : waxing lyrical

stan1
13th April 2011, 03:28 PM
my car chassis and running gear is covered in what i assume is wax oil . what would be the best way to remove this? the resultant parts will then be prepped for paint etc.smoothrite? also ive been reading about cleaning parts using electrolosis . is it ok to drop a complete hub and caliper in? would this affect the bearings seals etc.any help would be appreciated.::

JakeH
13th April 2011, 05:33 PM
the gearbox on my sierra was covered in wax oil i used autoglym intensive tar remover, a wire brush and pressure washer to get it off... worked a treat :)

Jake

K4KEV
13th April 2011, 05:57 PM
my car chassis and running gear is covered in what i assume is wax oil . what would be the best way to remove this? the resultant parts will then be prepped for paint etc.smoothrite? also ive been reading about cleaning parts using electrolosis . is it ok to drop a complete hub and caliper in? would this affect the bearings seals etc.any help would be appreciated.::

probably not wise as the electrolytical reaction will attack good metal as well as rust..... the removal of ions from a rusty part releases the rust flakes which end up as the crud and the clean steel at the other end of the circuit acquires ions and ends up looking knotty......if you can seal off any parts you want leaving alone like bearings/seals good metal etc then yes it will work but risky I think.:(

js1uk
13th April 2011, 06:04 PM
Parafin is what you need to clean it off. you use parafin instead of heating it up when you want to spray it..

stan1
13th April 2011, 11:52 PM
parrafin sounds good . probably because a new wolf air compressor is on its way. thanks for the replys lads.