PDA

View Full Version : Daily drive suggestions?

skov
22nd April 2011, 10:43 PM
Hi all,

I've pretty much decided I'm going to get rid of my current toy car when it's insurance runs out in a couple of months (a Mk1 1.8 MX5).
Sadly I can't really justify running 3 cars whilst building a 4th :rolleyes:
My dilemma is that my main car is dull as dishwater (a Hyundai Accent - don't ask!), and my wife's 7-seater is even worse!
So I'm thinking I might get rid of both of mine and try to find some kind of compromise between the two. i.e. something vaugely practical, but mildly entertaining.
4 or more seats is a must, and I'm more than slightly hung up on the idea of getting a convertible.
I don't want to spend more than £2k if I can help it. Any more than that starts eating into the build funds...
I've done a quick search on autotrader and there's bags of late 90's/early 00's VW Golf and Saab 9-3 convertibles within my buget. Are either any good?
Any other suggestions?

twinturbo
22nd April 2011, 10:54 PM
2.9 XR4x4 Sierra.

TT

minicountryman1961
23rd April 2011, 03:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TVR-V8-350I-WEDGE-CLASSIC-BRITISH-SPORTS-CONVERTIBLE-/170631461852?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27ba6d7bdc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/range-rover-off-roader-tvr-powered-/180648833570?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a0f827222

Hi all,

I've pretty much decided I'm going to get rid of my current toy car when it's insurance runs out in a couple of months (a Mk1 1.8 MX5).
Sadly I can't really justify running 3 cars whilst building a 4th :rolleyes:
My dilemma is that my main car is dull as dishwater (a Hyundai Accent - don't ask!), and my wife's 7-seater is even worse!
So I'm thinking I might get rid of both of mine and try to find some kind of compromise between the two. i.e. something vaugely practical, but mildly entertaining.
4 or more seats is a must, and I'm more than slightly hung up on the idea of getting a convertible.
I don't want to spend more than £2k if I can help it. Any more than that starts eating into the build funds...
I've done a quick search on autotrader and there's bags of late 90's/early 00's VW Golf and Saab 9-3 convertibles within my buget. Are either any good?
Any other suggestions?

aerosam
23rd April 2011, 07:31 AM
Alfa 156 - as long as it's not a diesel.

Pretty - fast - awesome handling - lush interior.

The later JTS engines are better than the twin spark, just don't go for anything with a selespeed gearbox as it's rubbish.

skov
23rd April 2011, 08:48 AM
2.9 XR4x4 Sierra.

TT

Ummm, No!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TVR-V8-350I-WEDGE-CLASSIC-BRITISH-SPORTS-CONVERTIBLE-/170631461852?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27ba6d7bdc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/range-rover-off-roader-tvr-powered-/180648833570?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a0f827222

I have always wanted a TVR... but I'm not convinced either of those is going to cut it as a daily drive! :D

Alfa 156 - as long as it's not a diesel.

Pretty - fast - awesome handling - lush interior.

The later JTS engines are better than the twin spark, just don't go for anything with a selespeed gearbox as it's rubbish.

Oooh, Good call!

Not topless, but I'm starting to think I'll have to drop that requirement :(

Wouldn't have even considered Alfa's, but it's probably about time I owned one.
I shall investigate futher... My initial concern is that I'd spend more time in the garage fixing the Alfa, than building the Haynes though!
Are Alfa's as unreliable as I'm led to believe?

HandyAndy
23rd April 2011, 08:57 AM
A nice BMW 5 series :cool:

M power or a ragtop or even an estate version, they are bullet proof & are fun to drive :cool:

cheers
andy

shh120m
23rd April 2011, 07:54 PM
A nice BMW 5 series :cool:

M power or a ragtop or even an estate version, they are bullet proof & are fun to drive :cool:

cheers
andy

and cheap;)

John.W
23rd April 2011, 08:23 PM
I've got an E34 520iA Estate with aircon and a double sunroof, it has done nearly 300000Km's and it is still going strong. compared to some cars today it is very easy to work on. We went to Bavaria in it in Feb and doing a steady 160Kmh (100Mph) most of the way it was useing about 10Ltrs of fuel per 100Kmh. the only thing I would say is the newer the better.
Regards
John

aerosam
23rd April 2011, 09:13 PM
I had an E34 540i and apart from having to spend £120 a week on fuel it was one of the most unreliable cars I've ever had. I was due to part exchange it and it finally broke down completely on the way to the dealer!

Conversely, my Alfa 156 has done 120k miles and there's nowt wrong with it.

james3004
23rd April 2011, 09:43 PM
I'd go Alfa, I think their reputation is a bit unfair :)

skov
23rd April 2011, 09:53 PM
I have to say, I've never been a fan of BMWs :o

Just did a search for 5 series in my price bracket, they've all done starship miles and are either slow or far too thirsty.

I think the 156 is top of my list at the moment!
My 13 year old son approves too, he recons they look cool :cool:

twinturbo
23rd April 2011, 10:32 PM
2.9 XR4X4

Ummm, No!

Need to give us some more paramaters then.

The XR4x4 is an investment ( prices on the up ), a good drive, easy to work on, not brill on fuel.

out of the 29 cars I have had ( including some High performance, some modernish , some mundane ) the V6 4B's still have a place in my heart and head.

On a flip side.. I have just got my Brother in laws 11 year old Volvo V40. Seems to be a fine car and they are arround in various models for very good money. 1.6 up to 2.0 T4 Turbo, estate or Saloon (s40) Well built, reliable, seems to handle OK.

TT

twinturbo
23rd April 2011, 10:34 PM
Alfa's are on my list of must have's

jsut it would be an old 75 , 33, Sud or Spider... and it would be a toy as there is no way I would trust one after the trouble a couple of freinds have had with theirs. One handed in the towel on their 7 year old 156 and sent it for breaking!!!

TT

skov
23rd April 2011, 11:51 PM
Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have dismissed the XR2X4 so readily.
The age and rareity of them puts me off, but woeful fuel consumption is my main objection.
I do a lot of miles, and realistically I need to be looking at something that will do 35-ish mpg.

I'm in two minds on the Alfa, head says no, heart says yes.
The heart's winning at the moment, but the head's catching up with every horror story I read about them!

stan1
24th April 2011, 12:10 AM
volvo v70 t5 250bhp x reg estate 0-60 six seconds tops out at 150mph. immaculate condition full leather etc .£2000. tres plenty more about!!!!:

twinturbo
24th April 2011, 07:15 AM
don't expect to ever see 35MPG out of a T5, although they are fun.

I had a 855T5 a few years back.

If your doing lots of miles then an oil burner is realy going to be the way to go.

I would be looking at a Passat if I was thinking Daily Oil Burner. Or an Audi A4.

TT

les g
24th April 2011, 09:53 AM
i would run away from a diesel Passat if the mileage is up
we use them as company vehicles and the bills to keep them running are through the roof
Nothing but trouble when they get to 100k
cheers les g

aerosam
24th April 2011, 02:09 PM
I do a lot of miles, and realistically I need to be looking at something that will do 35-ish mpg.

I'm in two minds on the Alfa, head says no, heart says yes.
The heart's winning at the moment, but the head's catching up with every horror story I read about them!

My 156 2.0JTS average consumption is 34mpg, it'n on an 03 plate and came with a full service history, having done 120,000 miles. I reckon if it was gonna be a bad one then it would have shown it's colours by now.

I think the thing with Alfa's is that there are a few REALLY bad ones that get lots of bad press, giving them a bad reputation, but most are generally great cars. If they really were all that poor then Alfa Romeo would be gone a long time ago.