PDA

View Full Version : off the table!

leroybrown911
23rd April 2011, 06:45 PM
I am a few weeks behind updating my blog, to be honest I need to do alot more work on my blog, but time does not allow it at present. Anyway although not many words I have uploaded a couple of pics.

The pics are of the chassis which is now, as title suggests, off the build table!

I have got a bit more welding and some tidying up of some poor welds. Then I might focus some attention on the donor for a change of scenery!

Problem is the room, it would be nice to get the donor in the garage and put the chassis outside. I do not want to paint it until all welding is complete, this includes gearbox and engine mounts that are a way off yet.

Guess I will have to put the chassis on its side against the wall while I strip the donor, unless I just prime it for now and cover it up in the garden.

SeriesLandy
23rd April 2011, 07:30 PM
Your chassis is looking really good.

It also looks like you have got quite a bit of room in your garage.

The largest bits from the donor are the engine/gearbox and the wheels. Everything else really fits on shelves, under benches ect.

I stripped my donor on the drive outside the house in the pitch black with one flood light and no engine hoist only a forklift.

Also where did you get (/what make) is your blue bench it looks nice and strong and better than what ive got?

leroybrown911
23rd April 2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks Steve!

I did consider stripping the donor on the drive, but it is a bit steep and didnt fancy being squashed by a Sierra! I have a crane in the garage and a level surface to jack on.

The blue bench is Sarralle, I think!? I will check tomorrow and update if different. I have 2 benches along one wall, they are extremely strong and well built. I had them for free as my work where throwing them out!!
Thier loss, my gain :D

TheArf
23rd April 2011, 09:12 PM
It's looking tidy mate will have a word with Ajay soon and pop over for a coffee and a look around your chassis

Arfon

leroybrown911
24th April 2011, 08:28 AM
No worries Arf, give us a bell when you are ready!

I could do with a bit of your expertise, I am struggling to get the settings right to weld the footwell plates, keeps burning holes or just splattering everywhere!

SeriesLandy
24th April 2011, 08:59 AM
Are you using 1mm for the drivers side? If you are change it for 3mm as it's too weak. It's best to do it now while it's only tacked on. Also take a look At this thread with regard to the column bearing here! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6342).

leroybrown911
24th April 2011, 06:54 PM
Yes I am using 1mm, to be honest I was concerned about the strength of the plate considering the pedal box is attached to it! Also protection for the feet should anything come out of the box or in through the engine bay in a collision.

Think I might upgrade the 1mm plate to 3mm as you suggest. Not sure whether to do the same on the passenger side as I have so far, or just go with aluminium plate.
I like the idea of the same both sides to be honest so think I will do that. Think I just talked myself into that!

TheArf
24th April 2011, 07:44 PM
Its just a case of messing around with your current, wire feed and gas flow mate

Arfon

leroybrown911
24th April 2011, 07:47 PM
Yea tried that, a bit more patience I think is required. Is haywards open tomorrow?

TheArf
25th April 2011, 10:33 AM
Also check how much pressure you have got on the feed wheel needs to be just enough to keep a constant feed and Heywards should be open today, unless they got a bout of religion which I seriously doubt

Arfon