PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Sender / Instrument Gauge

Spikehaus
4th May 2011, 06:29 PM
Following my walk around and chatting with various people at Stoneleigh this year, it flagged up a few small items I need to resolve.

The fuel tank requires a seperate earth via the sender unit nuts, so should the fuel fuel gauge alway show a reading while the battery is connected, or only when the ignition switch is on?

adrianreeve
4th May 2011, 08:53 PM
Mine only shows when the ignition is on, this is with a premier loom.

Cheers

Adrian

HandyAndy
5th May 2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Nick ( good to see you at Stoneleigh ).

My fuel sender is earthed from the sender unit into the main earthing system within the loom, it shows the fuel level when ignition is off, tho I,ll be honest, my system might also be confusing itself ( electrics confuse me :o ) as I also have a battery isolator switch which when turned off still shows the same level on the fuel gauge.:confused:

I,m not sure if its needed but I also have my fuel filler cap/aerostyle cap earthed direct to the chassis too.

cheers
andy

minicountryman1961
5th May 2011, 04:48 PM
Hi Nick ( good to see you at Stoneleigh ).

My fuel sender is earthed from the sender unit into the main earthing system within the loom, it shows the fuel level when ignition is off, tho I,ll be honest, my system might also be confusing itself ( electrics confuse me :o ) as I also have a battery isolator switch which when turned off still shows the same level on the fuel gauge.:confused:

I,m not sure if its needed but I also have my fuel filler cap/aerostyle cap earthed direct to the chassis too.

cheers
andy

some gauges go to zero when power is off, on some the needle stays in its last position. it is a function of gauge design, not how it is wired.

HandyAndy
5th May 2011, 08:11 PM
some gauges go to zero when power is off, on some the needle stays in its last position. it is a function of gauge design, not how it is wired.

Phew... :cool:

Thanks for that, I must admit I thought I,d made a boo boo with the wiring, me & electrickery don,t get on :o

I also thought it might be due to not having filled it full yet ( price of fuel to just sit in the garage...nooooo :eek: )

cheers
andy

tex
8th May 2011, 12:10 PM
ideally if you an you dont want the guage showing fuel is full or lots in when you walk away from your car for security purposes.. gives TWOCers a hint that they can get far..

carlknight1982
8th May 2011, 07:30 PM
Hey Handy, think of it this way, the price of fuel at the pump isnt going down, youd save filling it up now :P