PDA

View Full Version : Quick modifying question and hello!

ashbudd7
11th May 2011, 04:44 PM
Firstly, it's probably about time to say hello! Finally got me a sierra a couepl of weeks ago after having the book (and the Ron champion before that!) for quite some time before realising I should just jump in and get on with it. It's pretty much stripped now and it's been quite some fun.
To the point now, I'm very strongly considering buying a pre-welded chassis from a builder. Now, I have a dohc and mt75 gearbox and by now I think you can guess where I'm headed... If I were to buy a chassis made for the type 9 would it be a reasonable enough job to cut out the parts that need changing and put new ones in to suit? I suppose the other option would be to change to the type 9 but then, iirc, I would need to change other parts and I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, and I think the 75 is lighter as well isn't it, so I'd prefer this 'box really. Just like some feedback/input from you more experienced and wiser guys really

Thanks in advance

Ash

davedew
11th May 2011, 04:53 PM
Ash,

The main changes involved with fitting the MT75 gearbox are in the tranmission tunnel, which I consider to be a secondary fabrication.

Provided you have something flat that you can clamp the chassis down to while making the changes to the tunnel, I wouldn't have thought you would have any really problems with doing it.

ashbudd7
11th May 2011, 05:26 PM
Lovely, that's just what I expected, thank you. Always good for a second opinion (or more!)
And thanks for the quick reply Dave!

Cheers
Ash

Cyberbeej
11th May 2011, 05:30 PM
Ash,

The main changes involved with fitting the MT75 gearbox are in the tranmission tunnel, which I consider to be a secondary fabrication.

Provided you have something flat that you can clamp the chassis down to while making the changes to the tunnel, I wouldn't have thought you would have any really problems with doing it.

got to agree, if you wanna do it yourself.

does nobody do a chassis that is built for the MT75 box? can you not specify on ordering?

ashbudd7
11th May 2011, 05:54 PM
You're right cyberneej, the companies that sell the chassis (Saturn etc) do allow you to order specifically but this particular one is from an individual rather than a company selling them.
Thanks for strenghtening the vote though mate!

Cheers
Ash

MikeB
11th May 2011, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't bother
I'd by a type 9 box for £50 and sell the mt75 for about the same amount.
Problem solved

SeriesLandy
11th May 2011, 08:21 PM
I don't see it being a major problem converting the chassis. There is a guide HERE (http://www.haynesroadster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/haynesForum/MT75_Gearbox_Transmission_Tunnel_Mods.doc) and in the first pic it shows the modifications quite clearly.

Also I'm sure you previously said you were in Portsmouth. I'm only up the road if you want to come round and have a chat/cuppa.

ashbudd7
11th May 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.
Mike, as I said, i thought this may be an option. However, are there not other parts that need changing in order to facilitate the type 9? Or is it much simpler than Im thinking and a straight swap? I'd definitely consider this option, I'm sure there are plenty around (hang on...do you happen to have one for sale?!?!:) )
Thanks for the kind offer Landy, I'm actually far closer to you than Portsmouth, I could possibly hit you with a stone from here! I just find it far easier to say Portsmouth when speaking to the country as everyone instantly knows its on the south coast. I'm actually in "Havant" but i promise I wont knick your cup! I didn't think there were that many builders in the area, let alone round the corner so i hope to be able to take you up on that.

Cheers
Ash

ashbudd7
11th May 2011, 10:48 PM
And sorry, thaks for the link, I had already had a quick read through it, just wondered if it was recommended to start cutting up a chassis and rebuilding it!

MikeB
12th May 2011, 09:59 AM
I thought the box might swap over fairly easy, twin normallly knows all about sierras.
Were all the DOHC engine fitted with MT75's?
I'm sure the bolt pattern would be the same. not sure about clutch but I couldn't see it being a big issue.

The chassis mods aren't that bad to make but that would be my last option.

Sorry no type 9 for sale.