PDA

View Full Version : Head Lights problem

misty
5th July 2011, 07:56 PM
Have a problem with the head lights ,both the bulbs are ok
When i put on the side lights they are great
When i put on the dips they are great
BUT when i put on the head lights the lights go back to side the head lights do not come on

could the prob be the relay any help please would be great
many thanks

MarkB
6th July 2011, 08:51 AM
Well I'm a complete cock when it comes to wiring but my camper suffered a similar problem, I changed bulbs I faffed about with regulators and it turned out to be a dodgy earth connection...doh!

deezee
6th July 2011, 09:25 AM
I had a dodgy earth on mine, caused the indicator to come on when the headlight went on and the main beam put the sidelights on (and one of the indicators?).

misty
7th July 2011, 08:08 AM
but if the dips are coming on would it not be the same for the headlights ?

MarkB
7th July 2011, 10:42 AM
but if the dips are coming on would it not be the same for the headlights ?

Nope, my dip lights worked fine but when put on mains the indicators came on and stayed on and the ticker box sounded like it was going to have a "go bang moment"..It was a dodgy earth wire but took me hours to find it.:o

misty
7th July 2011, 04:05 PM
ok i will search and find it
many thanks

davedew
7th July 2011, 04:17 PM
Have you checked the fuses for the main beam power?

Sounds obvious but you never know.

misty
9th July 2011, 10:36 PM
still cant find it checked the fuses what about the relay would that cause it?

will_08
12th July 2011, 09:19 AM
Do you get what you should on the relay associated with the headlights. I.e Volts to pull the coil in. Volts in/out of the contacts?

baz-r
12th July 2011, 10:27 AM
i take it you mean high beam goes out? :rolleyes:
first things first take both bulbs out and set up high beam to be on
what voltage you got from ground (earth) and feed (positive)
if you got zero im thinking relay not working or not wired up right
if you have some voltage put the bulbs back in the circuit and check for voltage drop as there could be resistence some where

Enoch
12th July 2011, 11:29 AM
I would guess at the relay or possibly the switch. The sides will be on all the time, you must be getting a feed to the switch for the low beams to come on. As it's both mains then it's unlikely to be bulbs or holders at fault. Try swapping some relays around, it's not likely to be an earth problem.
Enoch.

robo
12th July 2011, 08:19 PM
Saw some of your other posts and noticed your working your way round the whole wiring system . Also noticed your doing this without the ignition circuit wired in and on some cars there is a dimmed dip relay system wired into ignition circuit, its not a fault along these lines is it?

Bob

misty
13th July 2011, 09:07 PM
many thanks for that i will try that in the next few days
thanks again

baz-r
14th July 2011, 06:17 PM
you could have your dip main relay terminals mixed up so your feed is on dip and your dip wire is on the feed terminal :)
hope that makes sence
feed should go to dip then coil pulls on switching to high if you swith dip and feed terminals the all goes out when high is turned on