PDA

View Full Version : mini donor

kitcarkid
21st August 2011, 04:04 PM
ok so for my project i was planning to use a ford zetec engine but i had a thought
has anyone ever fitted a mini engine (bmw) in to a haynes roadster locost

i ask because i will soon be starting a new job at mini and if i can use a mini engine i might be able to get cheaper parts and will get servicing etc cheaper

anyone know if its bin done and would i need a differant gearbox?

if i can go ahead with it i plan to tune the engine

thanks

kitcarkid
21st August 2011, 06:26 PM
any1???? do u think its a good engine to use??? :confused:

mark
21st August 2011, 06:46 PM
Probably not!

Never heard of that engine being used so inevitably it would be expensive getting an adaptor plate made for it to be mated to a rear wheel drive gearbox

Also figuring out the clutch set up to suit said adaptor and gearbox

A bmw gearbox wouldnt fit as the mini engines i believe are of crysler origins

Then you would also need to be fuel injected/cat etc etc to suit the emmisions standards for that engine

All perfectly possible but you wouldnt end up with a car any better that a zetec engined car, it would just cost you more and be more of a headache

wylliezx9r
21st August 2011, 06:53 PM
Are you really being serious? You are considering using an engine that has no obvious rwd gearbox to mate just because u may be able to get cheap spares?

kitcarkid
21st August 2011, 06:54 PM
Are you really being serious? You are considering using an engine that has no obvious rwd gearbox to mate just because u may be able to get cheap spares?

not just that i like minis anyway, want summet differant, and want a challenge :D

MarkB
21st August 2011, 07:22 PM
I would imagine that will create some proper headaches and not really worth the effort....besides real Minis don't wear a beemer badge:p

wylliezx9r
21st August 2011, 07:36 PM
not just that i like minis anyway, want summet differant, and want a challenge :D

Ive driven a couple of "new" mini's, i would have said the stand out features were most definately the chassis and the interior styling. The engine particularly in the mini one was inert and lifeless, a bit more spicy in a cooper but nothing to write home about.

robo
21st August 2011, 07:41 PM
Thats a peugeot engine that bmw painted their name on, I to think you might struggle to get a gearbox to fit.

Bob

kitcarkid
21st August 2011, 07:44 PM
its a cooper s im plannin someone i know is sellin a written off 2010 cooper s said he will give me a good deal if i go ahead with the project low mileage aswell
ive also looked at tuning parts on net and they seem to be better priced than what ive seen for zetecs and better results :cool: