PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sender

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 07:06 AM
I've got a few questions around the fuel sender if anyone can help:

Is it possible / worth using the donor fuel sender with a book spec tank?

My donor sender was a fuel injection engine so I believe the fuel pump is built into sender? Can these be easily separated as I'll be using a bike fuel pump?

If the above isn't worth it, can anyone suggest a cheap / compactish sender that would either work with the sierra instrument cluster or would work with a cheap iva compliant fuel gauge?

ozzy1
24th August 2011, 08:37 AM
According to the haynes manual the fuel pump is indeed part of the fuel sender assembly.I would assume it is easily removed for replacing if faulty,unfortunately no decent pics in manual.The thing to note if you go for an aftermarket sender/gauge is the resistance needs to match with the gauge from the sender.

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 08:52 AM
Fair enough, sounds like it may be easier to just buy an aftermarket fuel gauge and go for one that comes with a sender. Can anyone suggest a decent one that's not too expensive and the sender unit will fit in a book spec tank ok? I'm thinking that it may look better and be easier to just cut the speedo and warning lights out of the instrument cluster and then fit an aftermarket fuel gauge and rev counter as my sierra instrument cluster had a clock instead of a rev counter :(

HandyAndy
24th August 2011, 08:55 AM
apologies to butt in :o

Brainbug......I have a spare sierra instrument cluster with speedo & rev counter built in , yours if you want it ( free, just cover postage )......maybe it would work with your fuel sender ;) .

cheers
andy

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 09:00 AM
That would be cool, certainly more locost :) I guess I'd only have to sort out how to use the sender then :)

HandyAndy
24th August 2011, 09:06 AM
That would be cool, certainly more locost :) I guess I'd only have to sort out how to use the sender then :)

no probs, pm me your address etc & I,ll post it off to you tomorrow....with regard postage.....don,t worry about it ....or maybe put a pound or 2 in a cancer charity box :)

cheers
andy

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 09:17 AM
pm sent ;)

HandyAndy
24th August 2011, 09:19 AM
pm sent ;)

and replied to :)

cheers
andy

robo
24th August 2011, 10:22 PM
Has anyone looked at the landrover series tank sender unit? It screws down ( you could use rivnuts)with a cork gasket under it and its sort of spot on for a haynes tank ,oh and something else that appeals its cheap.

Bob

http://www.lrseries.com/resources/user/7f0e586194de44e66806bf5b35782f2cdbb8e782/PRC3098-FUEL-TANK-SENDER-UNIT.jpg

http://www.mm-4x4.com/series-22a3-fuel-tank-sender-unit-175-p.asp