PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filler Point

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 11:46 AM
I was having a flick through the IVA manual around fuel tanks and came across this:

14. Fuel tank filling points must not be located in the passenger compartment, luggage compartment or within an engine compartment.

Does this mean that a book spec tank with the filler cap on top of the tank (so you just fill the tank in the boot so to speak) is no longer acceptable and I would need to route a pipe of sorts from the outside of the car into the tank for re-fueling?

ozzy1
24th August 2011, 11:55 AM
I recall this was asked before and the outcome from memory was that you need to leave the rear end open and not closed off with a lid etc and then it is not classed as a boot.

davedew
24th August 2011, 01:28 PM
The rear tub area can have a lid that you open to access the fuel filler. Provided the bottom of the tub area isn't enclosed, and therefore unable to carry luggage in it.

Also if the lid in the rear tub has some kind of lock I don't think the fuel filler cap needs a lock, but it must be teathered to the tank so you can't loose it.

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 01:37 PM
Fair enough, I'd like to have a boot really and keep the area to the side of the fuel tank so I'm thinking I send the filler pipe out to the back panel. I was hoping to just reuse the donor one as it's one of the key lock ones and has the nossle restrictor thing to stop you putting diesel in. Is it considered ok to just put a hole in the top of the tank for the filler pipe to feed down into like the sierra tank?

davedew
24th August 2011, 01:53 PM
The whole fuel system needs to be sealed, so that in the event of ending up upside down no fuel can leak out.

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 02:02 PM
Ok that makes sense, whats a good way to run a pipe to the back or side of the car then and still have be sealed?

brainbug007
24th August 2011, 03:59 PM
Actually thinking about this, could you panel the inside of the boot around and over the top of the tank?

BORNXenon
24th August 2011, 04:41 PM
Surely you can run some Fuel proof rubber hose up to where you want the filler neck to be?
Thats what i was planning to do.

robo
24th August 2011, 10:15 PM
Dont really know if i like the idea of internal tank filler. Just got visions of spillages and vapour wafting round your head while driving.

Bob