PDA

View Full Version : IVA Fail Thread?

skov
29th August 2011, 10:22 AM
Just wondered if it's worth starting a (sticky) IVA fail thread, detailing all the points people have failed the IVA on in one place?
Might help us avoid making the same mistakes!

james3004
29th August 2011, 11:45 AM
A good idea me thinks:)

robo
29th August 2011, 02:23 PM
I have thundered on about this along with all the cxxp in the iva but no one seems that bothered about it.

Bob

Bonzo
29th August 2011, 03:00 PM
Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Yes, in principal, a sticky thread dedicated to the IVA test would be a great asset to this forum. :)

Perhaps something along the lines of “ IVA Test Results “ ( Pass or Fail )

I feel that this would be a little more positive title than “ IVA Failures Points “

As more folk get better conversant with the IVA regs, more cars are passing the test at the first attempt.
That is not to say that a few remedial tasks need to be done on the day.
All this information would be a priceless resource for the benefit of all forum users.

The reason I used the word in “ Principle “ ?

A thread of this nature could potentially lead to a fair bit of moderation in order to keep the thread tidy & on topic.
What I mean is, it won’t take long to untidy a thread if folk start asking if this or that will be ok for IVA or comments like “ The tester is this that & the third thing “

Bob

I know you have made mention of an IVA dedicated thread to condense the IVA testing manual.

Don’t think it would be possible Because.

1: The IVA test parameters are constantly being updated.

2: So much of the content of the IVA manual is open to each individual testers own personal point of view.

3: The IVA manual is also open to the personal views of the individual preparing a build for the IVA test.

IVA is much the same as the MOT test, something that may be fine at one test station might not be at another station.
Not an ideal situation to have but that’s just the way it is & I doubt it will ever change.

Sorry for my drivel .... I am bored today :D :o :o

robo
29th August 2011, 03:09 PM
Ok Ronnie.

How about just the major stuff of does and donts with some pointers as where to go ie, the brake thing,seat belt stuff, lighting ect. These are set in stone really but builders are being tripped up repeatedly. I think these lads have a good point here. Also there are solutions to most things but they seem to get buried within the postings and seem very hard to retrieve.

Bob

MarkB
29th August 2011, 03:12 PM
Ok Ronnie.

How about just the major stuff of does and donts with some pointers as where to go ie, the brake thing,seat belt stuff, lighting ect. These are set in stone really but builders are being tripped up repeatedly. I think these lads have a good point here. Also there are solutions to most things but they seem to get buried within the postings and seem very hard to retrieve.

Bob

Nothing is set in stone because different test stations seem to pass things that others fail, much like the MOT.:confused:

Bonzo
29th August 2011, 03:43 PM
Ok Ronnie.

Bob

Fair doo's Bob

Can definately see where you are coming from & yes I agree that a list of the IVA basics would indeed be quite useful :)

I guess for example, a secondary fixing for the mushroom inserts on the front uprights & the minimum seat head restraint height just to name a couple ;)

Yes stuff does kinda get burried away in old threads, that said, we have a quite helpfull bunch of guys on here & are happy to offer advice .

This forum is quite unique, can't remember the last time I heard the dreadded " Have you tried the search feature "

With the constant goverment/DOT meddling with the IVA test, everything will remain subject to change.

Probably didn't make it clear in my last post :o , Yes I would like to see a sticky thread dedicated to IVA test resuts :cool:

HandyAndy
29th August 2011, 05:33 PM
I too think this is a good idea :cool:

As long as the thread was kept clear of non relevant info & was just kept focused on the IVA pass/fail points that future builders can use as a reference point & that the important info didn,t get "lost" in a general discussion thread.

It would also possibly highlight what some test stations allow that other test stations wouldn,t allow etc so would be of help to each individual builder subject to their location/choice of test station.

cheers
andy

robo
29th August 2011, 06:12 PM
It could be based on and around the the build sequence rather than the order its written in the iva that way you would avoid burying a mistake. If it was left in this section it would only need an occasional bump to remain on first page.

Just my 2pc

Bob

baz-r
29th August 2011, 06:24 PM
it would be best to have points on where the std car is having problems to pass or fail points in design like the roll bar back stays only having one bolt (seatbelt issue)

Bonzo
29th August 2011, 06:38 PM
it would be best to have points on where the std car is having problems to pass or fail points in design like the roll bar back stays only having one bolt (seatbelt issue)

The trouble with the single fixing point of the rear backstay on the roll bar was only ever an issue with one car at a particular test centre ;) ( Plenty of other cars have passed IVA with a single fixing )

A classic example of testers personal opinion.

Going to be up to the individual builder to make a choice.

I will play it safe & alter my backstays .... One less thing it can fail from on the day :)

AshG
30th August 2011, 02:32 PM
personally i think an iva check list of known sticking points would be better.

skov
30th August 2011, 07:41 PM
personally i think an iva check list of known sticking points would be better.

That sounds like a plan to me. Would be loads easier to maintain than my original idea.
Just need a willing volunteer to write it up!