PDA

View Full Version : Wheel mounted indicators

rdodger
22nd September 2011, 09:02 PM
A friend of mine has this on his Caterham and I love the idea.

This is how it works.

Mode 1 : Press turn signal button for 1 second, turn signal lights will flash for 7 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when changing lanes.
Mode 2 : Press turn signal button for 2 seconds, turn signal lights will flash for 20 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when slowing down to go around a corner.
Mode 3 : Press turn signal button for 4 seconds, turn signal lights will flash for 75 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when stopping at a signal light and turn will be made after stopping.

Note: All three modes above can be cancelled by pressing the same turn signal button a second time.

Mode 4 : Hazard Mode - is available all the time and will flash until cancelled. To engage, depress both the left and right turn signal buttons for 1 second. To cancel, depress both buttons again for one second.

So the question is would it pass IVA?

Would the wheel mounted buttons need to be marked with arrows?

I guess it would be easy enough to change it after IVA along with fitting a quick release wheel.

The system is available from a US company

http://www.signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=36&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

baz-r
25th September 2011, 07:04 PM
have a look on how bmw motorbikes do there indicators
one button for left and one for right and a cancel button
press the l or r button and it turns on the indicator for that side and press cancel to turn them off
also works direct from left to right and vice versa
pritty sure it was all done by one relay on my bmw r1150r that i had

tex
26th September 2011, 05:54 PM
you could always just put normal indicators on - get through the IVA then fit that system afterwards then there's no worries about it. ;)

shampooefficient
27th April 2012, 09:59 PM
I actually thought you meant indicator bulbs mounted on the roadwheels. Would be an interesting interpretation of side repeaters...