PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pipe clearance

skov
10th October 2011, 01:46 PM
Hi all,
I'm playing about with the routing for my fuel and brake lines at the moment.
I've got a potential issue getting them past the gearstick turret at the end of the gearbox.

My original plan was to run them down the tunnel like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VoCd5rgvBZg/To4exCkwX-I/AAAAAAAAHxw/QF7W_HjnqfA/s640/fuel_clips_in_tunnel1.jpg

However when I dropped the engine in to check for clearance there wasn't any, and the turret was pressed hard up against the lines...
So I'm wondering if I can bend them around it like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-swVD51pvKsM/TpIU1ttOyrI/AAAAAAAAHyE/PoU6FA9vaxY/s512/S5033057.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kgKuABbCKwE/TpIU2T-2ahI/AAAAAAAAHyI/IrF5jlSltU8/s640/S5033059.JPG

I think I get about 5mm clearance between the gearbox and the lines if I do this, is that going to be too close for IVA man?

brainbug007
10th October 2011, 01:51 PM
Personally I'm going to route my fuel and brake lines along the bottom of the tunnel on oppisite sides from each other. Then run my electrics along the top as they'll be easier to bend/twist around things like the gearbox.

davedew
10th October 2011, 04:16 PM
As long as the gearbox cannot touch them I would have thought it would be fine. You could always slip a piece of rubber pipe over them where they get close to protect them just in case.

twinturbo
10th October 2011, 04:22 PM
Clips look good there!

Started making up my service tray the other night.

Anyway, are you not supposed to be in the house looking after a baby?

TT

deezee
10th October 2011, 04:36 PM
How much movement do you have in your gearbox mount? My Sierra mount used to move far too much. So I fitted a much stiffer one, out of a Westfield... or maybe it was a Caterham?

skov
10th October 2011, 04:59 PM
Clips look good there!

are you not supposed to be in the house looking after a baby?

TT

ha ha - I should be, but the baby seems happy where she is, despite being two days overdue. I think she's aiming for fashionably late.
Oh well, more garage time for me while I'm waiting :D

skov
11th October 2011, 12:37 AM
I popped out to the garage tonight and tightened up the engine and gearbox mounts properly to see how much movement there is.
The engine mounts are landrover ones which allow a fair bit of movement.
The gearbox mount however is very stiff indeed, and only moves the slightest amount.
I tried as hard as I could to push the gearbox towards the fuel line and couldn't get close, let alone touch it.
Do you think I'm going to be alright?

mark
11th October 2011, 12:23 PM
Thats all the iva tester will do, he gave mine a really good wiggle and it couldnt get any where near (cable in conduit in my case) so he was happy

If you are unsure run it along the bottom of the tunnel instead of the top as there is more room

Another good thing to remember about anything iva critical is something Ash said ages ago, would you expect to see it done like that on a production car?

I did everything on mine with this in the back of my mind and the tester asked me if I built cars for a living! i was very smug :D