PDA

View Full Version : Useability of Donors

badj
27th May 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi,

Just to clear up something that I have noticed already, why is it that the EFi system/ECU of a donor engine cannot be used in the roadster.

It seems that people talk about fitting megajolt etc. but I cannot think of a reason why the original wiring loom and ecu from an EFi engine can't be used.

thanks

les g
27th May 2008, 07:51 PM
hi there
there appear to be several reasons why megajolts are used
height of efi unit and space etc
lack of tunability etc
late zetec ecus had in built immobilisers (hard to bypass)
and just personal preferences
loads of people have used the stock efi and ecu and are happy running in standard trim
but if you want radical cams/carbs/throttle bodies etc you,ll need an ecu you can remap to get the best from them
all the best
les g

fabbyglass
9th July 2008, 11:21 AM
Well we are going to use what came with the car to try and keep it to a realistic budget....picked up a rwd xr4i in damn good nick for not a lot of pennies so seems daft not to use it...prefer to go bike engined myself.

Had a play on wet cornish lanes and what a giggle, I forgot how much fun a rwd car was....:D :D

scotty g
9th July 2008, 01:28 PM
If you are talking about the Sierra EFI system than quite a few people have used it, you can chop it down so it sits level with the top of the engine.
i'm using a 1.8 Zetec from a Mondeo and will be using the standard plenum chamber and ECU, wiring loom that came with the car.
Cheers.