PDA

View Full Version : flexible exhause hose

misty
24th November 2011, 12:02 AM
Hi all
Hope you are all well
getting on a bit now with the build come across flexible exhause hose, any ideas what iva man would think about this ???

ozzy1
24th November 2011, 01:09 AM
Cant see it being a problem as you would be using it for what it was designed for.I recall seeing a pic on here a while ago where somebody had used this stuff although dont know if they had been through Iva.

brainbug007
24th November 2011, 09:26 AM
I was also thinking about using this stuff as it's pretty cheap and would make for a much neater job than me trying weld a load mild steel mandrel bends together.

misty
24th November 2011, 09:39 AM
I just have done what you are thinking Brainbug and it was not pleasant ,its all done now but thought of using it to cover the welding to make it nice to look at or even use ali tube to cover it

robo
24th November 2011, 06:02 PM
You might regret buying that stuff, we use it as a bodge on older plant and machinery where its impossible to get a new system. Downside is you cant bend it in a small radius and it needs a ton of support or it will fall apart. Its not really up to the job.

Bob

brainbug007
24th November 2011, 07:47 PM
Aww gutted, here was me thinking I was onto a winner :( Guess it's back to trying to weld some mild steel mandrels together :|

baz-r
24th November 2011, 09:03 PM
i take it we are on about that sprial formed stuff?

cant see a problem unless you have a cat. as it doesent form a 100% seal could throw up a airleak at the cat test.

if you need flex with a cat use a belows type with the protective woven steel wires over the top
can be found in clamp or weld in types

brainbug007
25th November 2011, 07:53 AM
I was considering this stuff http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Flexible_Exhaust_Pipe_51mm_SSFEX51

robo
25th November 2011, 05:11 PM
Thats the rubbish i was on about , minimum bend radius of about a foot ,yum yum. You can use a bicycle wheel as a former.

Bob

les g
26th November 2011, 03:42 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
as he says
utter junk
only any good if braising/welding into a run of pipe to overcome some small amount of movement/vibration.
but you will be replacing it again and again and again and again,
best to do it right first time in my opinion
cheers les g

robo
27th November 2011, 10:00 AM
There was a few years ago a company that made a convoluted stainless exhaust that had the silencer already welded into its length. It came on a roll and you just laid it out under the car and clipped it up. That stuff you could bend really tight bends in, it was a bit like the stainlless flue liner in houses but I cant find a trace of them.

Bob