PDA

View Full Version : What brake bits do I need please?

ayjay
9th December 2011, 03:37 PM
I am going to try to get my brakes done over the Christmas break. It will give me something to do in the sulking shed . ;)
All my bits are Sierra Sapphire 1.8 cvh with rear drums and I intend to use the original steel pipe size .Does anyone know what size pipe it is and what the threads are?
Also if anyone has a list of the bits I need and approximate length of pipe that would be so helpful :o
I am going to get some braided flexi hoses made up --any recommendations for sourcing please? I think from reading previous posts I'll need these at 500mm approx.
Thanks in advance.http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/ayjay50/Latestbuildpics001.jpg

voucht
9th December 2011, 10:11 PM
Hi. You've got a PM.
Bye.
Sylvain

bertie_bas205
10th December 2011, 05:21 AM
For the flexi's, give Dave at Llama a shout, he's very good to deal with and the prices are good too....

http://www.llama4x4.com/

He'll make up any length ye need and does different colours.....

As for the metal brake pipe its 3/16 and the ends are M10 x 1mm thread...

Bertie.

spud69
10th December 2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Jay,

Give these a thought Jay, as long as you put the ends on properly these Euroquip 600 pipe and fittings are good and work out pretty cheap:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=85_248

AndyH

twinturbo
10th December 2011, 08:45 AM
I built euroquip lines, found the bits cheaper than raldes.

Check out my website for a brief guide.

The solid pipes use 10mm fittings. and 3/16 pipe (IIRC)

TT

rapidtornado
10th December 2011, 08:57 PM
Just on the topic of braided hoses, can you run them straight from the bulkhead/bracket to the caliper or do you have to put another bracket in before the caliper (say on the rear hub carrier) as I see that people are welding plates to the rear carrier and then fixed tube to the caliper? Is this done on the front as well?

Sorry for the complicated and DA question but I can't see why you cant run straight from caliper to bulkhead/brack on the chassis..?:confused:

voucht
11th December 2011, 10:13 AM
Just on the topic of braided hoses, can you run them straight from the bulkhead/bracket to the caliper or do you have to put another bracket in before the caliper (say on the rear hub carrier) as I see that people are welding plates to the rear carrier and then fixed tube to the caliper? Is this done on the front as well?

Hi,
Having checked a lot of different build threads/diaries, I never saw anybody doing it in another way than adding this small piece of copper pipe, which obliges to weld an extra bracket on the rear upright and add 2 more fittings to the line.
However, another solution does exist : last week, I supplied a builder in Sweden with rear brake lines featuring a 45° male fittings at one end of the brake lines, instead of the long straight fitting these brake lines usually come with. He was supposed to install the hoses this week-end, so I'm waiting for a feed-back from him to be 100% sure it fits, but according to the measurements we took, it should.
This means that the brake lines I supply run from the chassis brackets directly into the wheel cylinders with no other modifications.
If you are interested in this solution, please send me a PM with your email address and I send you a PDF document with more informations.
Thanks.
Sylvain

baz-r
11th December 2011, 12:33 PM
if you have stright pattern bolt holes on your rear upright so the backplate is in its normal position (not angled) there in no room at all for brake pipe routing this is why i had to use a short bit of copper pipe, a small bracket and a bulkhead fitting flexi

all fittings are short m10x1.0 male and female and pipe is 3/16
i would use new copper or cupronickle

SeriesLandy
11th December 2011, 01:12 PM

Sorry for the complicated and DA question but I can't see why you cant run straight from caliper to bulkhead/brack on the chassis..?:confused:
NO YOU DON'T. I've got reardrums and the brake flexis go straight into the drum.

They have banjos with about a 15-25° crank on them so they clear the back of the drum plate.

rapidtornado
11th December 2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the responses guys... anyone run a flexi straight to the caliper with rear disc setup? If so got any pics of the routing? Cheers

ps. sorry to hi-jack the thread, maybe I should start a new one :rolleyes:

voucht
11th December 2011, 07:47 PM
My friend fitted my hoses with the 45° fitting today. He had to grind a couple of mm on his upright to fit them perfectly, but as you can see, the design of his upright is a bit "special", it looks straighter than the upright made according to the book. With "regular" rear upright my hoses should fit with a 45° fitting with no problem. I can also try to make the bend done closer to the nut, so I could win a couple off mm on the fitting "width".