PDA

View Full Version : anti theft!

michael92
27th December 2011, 08:02 PM
hey all, im a little confused to what is acceptable as anti theft... i have had a little search and learnt a tiny bit but nothing clear.

my scenario:

i dont have an ignition lock and barrell on my sierra column but i will be having a seperate ignition switch and a batt cut off, is this acceptable or will i have to fit an electronic immobiliser?

thaughts? :confused:

Michael

skov
27th December 2011, 08:47 PM
From my reading of the IVA manual you need either a steering lock, or an electronic immobiliser.
It specifically says a manual battery switch is not considered an anti-theft device, so yes I think you will need an electronic immobiliser (unless you find a new column with the barrel / key intact).

michael92
27th December 2011, 10:06 PM
From my reading of the IVA manual you need either a steering lock, or an electronic immobiliser.
It specifically says a manual battery switch is not considered an anti-theft device, so yes I think you will need an electronic immobiliser (unless you find a new column with the barrel / key intact).

Thank you :) i was more biased to getting an immobiliser anyway :) might get a transponder type , thatll do the trick ;)

minicountryman1961
28th December 2011, 03:25 AM
http://www.aol.com/video/protecting-your-car-with-buttprint-technology/517235755/?icid=maing-grid7|maing7|popular-videos-5min-main|sec1_lnk2|123128

Cyberbeej
28th December 2011, 09:49 AM
Butt Print technology, they've got to be having a laugh.

It MIGHT make it into some specialized vehicles but the first person that fits it to a kitcar should be shot as a warning for others.:eek:

robo
28th December 2011, 10:30 AM
I dont think I could be arsed with that:rolleyes: :)

Bob

flyerncle
28th December 2011, 01:39 PM
Make sure you have a certificate for the fitting of the imobiliserthey may want to see it.

baz-r
28th December 2011, 01:45 PM
the good book says

A vehicle MUST be fitted with either a mechanical anti – theft device or an electronic immobiliser
If fitted to the Vehicle, a anti – theft device
a.
must be operational
b.
must not operate on any part of the braking system
If it incorporates a mechanical part that acts upon a system used to control the vehicle
a.
It must Deactivate before the engine can be started
b.
It must be deactivated while the engine is running
c.
It must have a actuation which is a distinct and separate function from that of stopping the engine
Where the vehicle has no mechanical anti - theft device fitted:
An electronic immobiliser must be fitted

monsterob
28th December 2011, 10:07 PM
Wish mine didnt have a bleeding immobilizer tried to fire it all up yesterday got fuel but no spark ! Paperclip test and i get three codes

Secondary air pump failure
Another insignificant one
AND the good old immobilizer control unit failure ( no signal)

Bugger ! All seems to point to cam sensor supposedly quite common !
Still pi$$ed on my chips

michael92
28th December 2011, 10:18 PM
Wish mine didnt have a bleeding immobilizer tried to fire it all up yesterday got fuel but no spark ! Paperclip test and i get three codes

Secondary air pump failure
Another insignificant one
AND the good old immobilizer control unit failure ( no signal)

Bugger ! All seems to point to cam sensor supposedly quite common !
Still pi$$ed on my chips

i see! is your's a vauxhall system? because mine will be and im kind of running myself into great difficulty if it goes wrong as techincially im using 2 transponder systems. ie the factory ecu barrell (with the transponder secured to it) and then a thatcham type immobiliser :p I certainly hope all goes well!

monsterob
29th December 2011, 01:00 PM
Yes the vauxhall system it would appear i dont have a feed to the key reader from the abs / traction control ecu. Hence i dont think im getting power to it BUT the feed comes from the odometer/ road speed circuit now im thinking do i need this track and feed from the abs sensors and will the odometer / speedo not work !!! Cos thatll be annoying !

Now got to read the haynes hyrogliphics for that ecu but my eyes hurt !

michael92
29th December 2011, 01:11 PM
haha yeah good luck with reading that , are you using the omega dash instruments? if so i can imaging that will be a pain in the **** but with time and a little thaught on it it will be ok :) that means im going to have to make a few looms up haha :eek: :D as im using a digi dash.

wasnt there a bloke on one of the vaux forums who can put a chip in to de-immobilise the vauxhall ecu's?

ill look for that later :)

robo
29th December 2011, 02:59 PM
the good book says

A vehicle MUST be fitted with either a mechanical anti – theft device or an electronic immobiliser
If fitted to the Vehicle, a anti – theft device
a.
must be operational
b.
must not operate on any part of the braking system
If it incorporates a mechanical part that acts upon a system used to control the vehicle
a.
It must Deactivate before the engine can be started
b.
It must be deactivated while the engine is running
c.
It must have a actuation which is a distinct and separate function from that of stopping the engine
Where the vehicle has no mechanical anti - theft device fitted:
An electronic immobiliser must be fitted

That eliminates the handbrake lock, the foot pedal locks, fuel taps <because in theory a car might still fire up>,steering locks, gear lever locks and the good old battery switch. Is that it?

Bob

monsterob
29th December 2011, 10:03 PM
had no luck whatsoever today !i was planning to use everything i could now im looking at either

£70 plus for new ignition components trial and error

or

go the whole hog and go megasquirt and stick some itb's on it for good measure eliminating my bonnet fitment issue.

at least it will run and put a few horsies on then ill either have to make the dash work or bin it and go digi !

not a good weekend for me thanks vauxhall !:mad:

baz-r
30th December 2011, 03:52 PM
had no luck whatsoever today !i was planning to use everything i could now im looking at either

£70 plus for new ignition components trial and error

or

go the whole hog and go megasquirt and stick some itb's on it for good measure eliminating my bonnet fitment issue.

at least it will run and put a few horsies on then ill either have to make the dash work or bin it and go digi !

not a good weekend for me thanks vauxhall !:mad:

megasquirt it :D

monsterob
30th December 2011, 06:00 PM
Ive been looking into it and looks like the best option is going to be megasquirt and some gsxr throttle bodies this will also eliminate the issue of the original throttle body hitting the bonnet. Ive no experience with megasquirt but as clarkson would say " how hard can it be ? ".

Im a bit dissapointed with myself as the last car i built the donor ecu and custom loom i made worked brilliantly ! No immobiliser to mess with on that though.

Suppose i best let this thread go now ! Sorry for the hijack :D

michael92
2nd January 2012, 03:57 PM
Ive been looking into it and looks like the best option is going to be megasquirt and some gsxr throttle bodies this will also eliminate the issue of the original throttle body hitting the bonnet. Ive no experience with megasquirt but as clarkson would say " how hard can it be ? ".

Im a bit dissapointed with myself as the last car i built the donor ecu and custom loom i made worked brilliantly ! No immobiliser to mess with on that though.

Suppose i best let this thread go now ! Sorry for the hijack :D

haha your fine :) yeah i would agree about megasquirt i personally would really like to run ms but its just the £££ at the end of the day. annoying thing is, i have the laptop/software/acess to a jimstim and a wideband but just not the unit it self haha!

rpjg1975
2nd January 2012, 08:04 PM
as clarkson would say " how hard can it be ? ".

And we all know what follows that..... "Don't say that" from hammond and may in unison, shortly followed by a comedy of errors! :rolleyes:

baz-r
3rd January 2012, 07:52 PM
there is a pre built megasquirt called microsquirt for the cost and time it might be a good option if your not building 1 from a kit form,
no sim will be needed and has all the basic stuff but you will have to check it does what you need i do know it has all the stuff to run a zetec.

Big Vern
6th January 2012, 09:56 PM
haha your fine :) yeah i would agree about megasquirt i personally would really like to run ms but its just the £££ at the end of the day. annoying thing is, i have the laptop/software/acess to a jimstim and a wideband but just not the unit it self haha!

Go for the megasquirt only if you want as much hassle and frustration as your having already. I gave up on MSQT and went with omex!

BV:)

Big Vern
6th January 2012, 10:01 PM
hey all, im a little confused to what is acceptable as anti theft... i have had a little search and learnt a tiny bit but nothing clear.

my scenario:

i dont have an ignition lock and barrell on my sierra column but i will be having a seperate ignition switch and a batt cut off, is this acceptable or will i have to fit an electronic immobiliser?

thaughts? :confused:

Michael

You will need two methods of immobilising the car for IVA, One is the ignition key switch and the other is usually the built in steering column lock. These are normally all one unit on the donor vehicle.
A new unit complete will probably cost around £100
Aftermarket immobiliser with fitting and required certificate (for IVA and insurance) will cost upwards of £150!

BV:)

skov
7th January 2012, 08:14 AM
I don't think you need a certificate for an aftermarket immobiliser now.
One of the changes to the latest version of the IVA manual was to
"Remove the requirement of documentary evidence for the immobiliser".