PDA

View Full Version : problem with my new angle grinder (clarke)

paul the 6th
14th June 2008, 05:50 PM
My new (and first ever) angle grinder arrived yesterday. Clarke thingy... used it for a few mins this morning to chop through the pipework on my bike exhaust. Got about a quarter of the way into the job and noticed the cutting blade was spinning slightly loose. I checked and tried to tighten the bolt/retaining nut type fasterner - it was as tight on as possible but the blade was still slightly loose enough to move against the drive mechanism...

am I doing something wrong? is there something like a washer missing?

thanks in advance

3GE Components
14th June 2008, 06:08 PM
Hi Paul

If you are using a cutting disc the flat side of the locking ring should be against the disc,if using a grinding disc the other side should be used as there should be a step which locates into the grinding disc.

Keith

paul the 6th
14th June 2008, 06:39 PM
Hi Paul

If you are using a cutting disc the flat side of the locking ring should be against the disc,if using a grinding disc the other side should be used as there should be a step which locates into the grinding disc.

Keith

ah, I just assumed the step was designed to fit in the central hole regardless of the type of disc... it is a metal cutting disc so ho hum :) thanks for the advice keith :)

fabbyglass
15th June 2008, 11:56 AM
The thin 1mm jobs need to have a paper washer which are usually supplied when you buy a box of them, better than the thicker cutting discs BUT be warned when they let go they let GO and will scare the beejeeesus out of you.

Don't force them to cut either especially the thinner discs as they flex are fair bit! And try to avoid using them as grinding discs, only cut on the edge as they will go BANG!

Air grinders are safer as will stall if disc grips but an electrickery one will grip and try to take you with it...not fun!

Not trying to scare or teach folk to suck eggs and all that but grinders are sent by the devil to eat fingers and take chunks out of you...

Mark

paul the 6th
15th June 2008, 04:41 PM
The thin 1mm jobs need to have a paper washer which are usually supplied when you buy a box of them, better than the thicker cutting discs BUT be warned when they let go they let GO and will scare the beejeeesus out of you.

Don't force them to cut either especially the thinner discs as they flex are fair bit! And try to avoid using them as grinding discs, only cut on the edge as they will go BANG!

Air grinders are safer as will stall if disc grips but an electrickery one will grip and try to take you with it...not fun!

Not trying to scare or teach folk to suck eggs and all that but grinders are sent by the devil to eat fingers and take chunks out of you...

Mark

no no matey, ALL advice is appreciated and heeded :) I've not had much experienc with them before but managed to get most of the job done. Swapped the fixing washer around and the disc grips tight now :) Have yet to try it out on more metal work but I'm planning on buying a welder in the next month or so - so hopefully I'll get some projects underway :) first off - a work stool & cd rack :)