PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know p clip distances

shh120m
8th March 2012, 07:44 PM
Does anyone know off the top of their heads the minimum distances for fixing fuel hoses/ brake hoses and wiring in the tranny tunnel for IVA?. I know its in their somewhere but for the life of me I cant find it. Reason I ask is i think ive truly overdone it and ive run out of rubber lined p-clips, being a tight arse i was going to remove a few and carry on:rolleyes:

Spikehaus
8th March 2012, 07:50 PM
Every 100 mm from memory

monsterob
8th March 2012, 09:58 PM
Dont say 100 mm ! If it is im bolxxxx !

skov
8th March 2012, 10:06 PM
Me too!
I thought it was every 150mm?

chrisponter
9th March 2012, 12:06 AM
I thought it was 100mm in the transmission tunnel, and 150mm everywhere else? Can't really go wrong if you secure it too often.

Eternal
9th March 2012, 12:20 AM
Im going 100mm all over just to be on the safe side.

Johno
12th March 2012, 08:06 PM
Thats me b***oxed as well then...:eek:
I'm sure its no more than 150mm in tranny tunnel and 300mm everywhere else..

Found this by Spud
Hi David,

The manual says that all cables / pipes must be securely fitted at a max 300mm intervals and free from chafing. This reduces in the tranny tunnel though and needs to be every 150mm, preferably laid on a channel.

AndyH

Johno

baz-r
12th March 2012, 08:40 PM
its says. (in genral construction)
"All electrical cables/wires must be free from chaffing and secured at intervals of at least every 300mm unless contained in a secure hollow component."

cant find anything with an actual mesurement at the mo for brake and fuel pipes but i cant see why the trans tunnel would be any diffrent from the floor,rear axel area or engine bay.
i dont think any production car has clip spacing as tight as 100mm (4in)

snapper
13th March 2012, 05:05 PM
300mm

I did mine closer than that but just made sure it looked tidy and was no more than 300 anywhere

Johno
19th March 2012, 09:17 PM
Hi,
So is this issue resolved and what is the final outcome....:) Need to know if I have got to drill more holes..LOL:(

Johno

snapper
19th March 2012, 09:33 PM
It's all in the IVA manual
300mm or less
I've built one, helped on 3 others and we have 2 more in the barn.
300mm

shh120m
20th March 2012, 08:22 PM
Iv seriously overdone it this time, no wonder why i spent so much on p clips:rolleyes:

At least mr IVA will be happy

baz-r
21st March 2012, 10:14 PM
It's all in the IVA manual
300mm or less
I've built one, helped on 3 others and we have 2 more in the barn.
300mm

i read the iva manual cover to cover and checked the a pdf with word find and could not find it so would love to know what page its on :rolleyes:

skov
21st March 2012, 11:03 PM
i read the iva manual cover to cover and checked the a pdf with word find and could not find it so would love to know what page its on :rolleyes:

It's in the section titled "General Construction"

7. All electrical cables/wires must be free from chaffing and secured at intervals of at least every 300mm unless contained in a secure hollow component.

baz-r
24th March 2012, 10:44 AM
i put this in post #8
it applys to eletrical cables and its the fuel and brake pipes that i cant find the info for.
i dont think there is an "real" dimantion in there :(

skov
24th March 2012, 11:11 AM
Sorry, should have read the whole thread properly :rolleyes:

I can't find any dimensions for hoses/pipes either. I think the relevant section is "Hydraulic and Vacuum Systems", but it basically just says they need to be securely and adequately clipped/supported.

jps
7th October 2012, 01:02 PM
Sorry, should have read the whole thread properly :rolleyes:

I can't find any dimensions for hoses/pipes either. I think the relevant section is "Hydraulic and Vacuum Systems", but it basically just says they need to be securely and adequately clipped/supported.

I'm just about to go and cut and drill the 'perforated' steel strips to down the transmission tunnel - and can't find any clear reference in the whole IVA manual to a set distance for fluid carrying lines - other than 'A brake pipe or hose must be adequately clipped or otherwise supported' - in the 'Hydraulic and Vacuum Systems' section.

Given that 300mm is stated as the necessary interval for electrical wires in the 'General Construction' bit it's fairly logical to argue that the same dimensions apply to any other similarly fixed item...

To be on the safe side i'm going to go a little under - say 250mm - when drilling my holes for the p-clip rivets...

baz-r
8th October 2012, 03:45 PM
a genral rule of thumb is fix every 8" 200mm or less and you should be ok from sva and iva pass reports

also recomended by car builder solutions