PDA

View Full Version : Scrapping your Donor

adrianreeve
14th July 2008, 08:56 AM
Before I go ahead and get the carcass of my donor taken away, do I need to keep/do anything for registering the car later on? I'm hoping for an age related plate. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Adrian

jabs
14th July 2008, 09:57 AM
Both VIN plates and the V5 on a SORN. Get a receipt for the shell. Take photo's of it as well. Every little helps and it's something you cannot do after it's gone.

adrianreeve
14th July 2008, 11:23 AM
Cheers Jabs - silly question, where are the VIN plates? I can see one on the slam panel at the front of the engine bay, but where is the other one?

Cheers

Adrian

jabs
14th July 2008, 11:53 AM
Stamped into the floor between the drivers seat and door, under a plastic flap in the carpet

Jezzer99
14th July 2008, 11:59 AM
Aren't both plates on the slam panel? I think that's what's on my Sapphire.

On a related note - what's the deal with scrapping at the moment? I see a lot of people offering free collection (presumably they cover it in the price of the steel) - is that the best I can expect?

jabs
14th July 2008, 12:19 PM
Most firms around here offer min £50 some £100 but that's for a whole car not just the shell. Problem with shell is getting a firm with lorry with a grab so they can load it. Most want wheels on them so they can tow it away

Craig H
15th July 2008, 09:11 PM
Get yourself a 9" grinder and chop it into small bits that'll fit in the boot of your car, most scrappies won't mind if you take it down to them like this.

Cheers

Craig.

jabs
15th July 2008, 11:21 PM
I actually chopped mine into large managable pieces so scrappie could just throw them onto his wagon

scotty g
16th July 2008, 08:40 AM
I chopped mine up into ickle bits and took up the local community dump, started getting some suspicoius looks from the Dump men after my 5th or 6th load though! :D :D :D

Jezzer99
16th July 2008, 09:49 AM
Hmmm... 9" ginder... very noisy... neighbours and all that... doesn't sound like the best way for me to go - I think half of them have died in shock when a 1991 Sierra turned up on my drive :eek:

I think I call the local breakers - the chaps I used to get rid of a Midget shell once had a drop loading trailer so he could lower the back down and drag the shell up on with a winch.