PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Sapphire gearbox and engine type? how to tell the difference

paul the 6th
20th July 2008, 05:51 PM
Just wondered,

just by looking at pictures of a sierra sapphire, is it possible to distinguish a sapphire with the cvh/type 9 set up, against a sapphire with the dohc/mt75 setup?

I'd like to use the cvh/type 9 configuration but it's difficult to work out which sierra's have which components when the prospective donor is 200 miles away and the seller is selling the car for their "mother's friends dog's cat's auntie who doesn't isn't really sure about the mechanicals but it's got electric windows".

(n.b. I'd like to go with cvh since this is my first build and the adjustments for the transmission tunnel aren't really outlined in the book = i WILL muck it up)

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!

paul w

adrianreeve
20th July 2008, 07:46 PM
Paul

I think the book describes the installation of the pinto engine, not the CVH. However, my understanding is that you only need to make trans tunnel mods if fitting the MT75 gearbox, so it shouldn't make any difference whether you fit cvh, pinto zetec or whatever you fancy, so long as you stick to the type 9 gearbox.

I well and truely stand to be corrected!

Cheers

Adrian

paul the 6th
20th July 2008, 10:54 PM
oooh... i havent even considered a zetec. Always thought they were front wheel drive?

les g
20th July 2008, 11:20 PM
hi paul
a bit more work to fit a zetec but its been done loads of times in other seven type cars
google the the website zetec-cat .co.uk loads and loads of really good info on there
cheers les g
ps . sierra owners club has definitive lists of the specs. of all sierras
and the easy peasey way ask where reverse is if it is by 1st its a type 9 if its not its an mt75 (defining answer )
and it goes like this
all sub 2.0Ls use a type 9
all 2.0Ls until 1989 after 89 they used an mt75
all 2.8Ls used a type 9
all 2.9Ls used an mt 75
( only relevant if not been converted of course )

paul the 6th
20th July 2008, 11:57 PM
cheers for the response les :)

think I'll be sticking with the sierra cvh since it's close to the book - I've noticed the correlation between very unique projects being complicated and simple projects being easier to find the info on how to do it i.e. suzuki gsx-r1000 engined roadster opposed to a sierra derivative.

A guy on the locost builder forums pointed out the type 9 = reverse at top left, mt75 = reverse at bottom right, but thanks for that all the same :) I'll find the sierra owners club and add it to my favs asap.

No doubt I'll be back here often to pester you wise people for lots of random info :)

thanks again!

jabs
21st July 2008, 07:42 AM
Sierra owners club

http://www.fordsierraclub.co.uk/

paul the 6th
21st July 2008, 08:51 AM
brilliant stuff jabs & adrians'. thanks for all the advice/info - I'm taking the same approach in sticking to the book, newer engine, unleaded, no messing with transmission tunnel etc...

Now... how do you tell all the different adrians apart across the car building forums? j/k

thanks again, paul w

Jezzer99
21st July 2008, 05:21 PM
I too am going to be a CVH'er... Have steel, have donor car (Sapphire 1.8), have baseboard, ready to build. I think the main issue with the CVH is the engine mounts and I think AdrianH is already there so I guess he's the one to follow :D