PDA

View Full Version : Engine choices

Wrigglypig
13th August 2008, 11:01 PM
I am at the start of what I hope will be a long, but with luck enjoyable build. I have built a car in the past and went down the pinto route however this time I will use all the sierra running gear, but I have had the offer of a tuned Mitsubishi Evo 6 engine. I know they are normally a FWD set up but ther should be nothing stopping me turning it through 90 degrees and fitting a RWD gearbox to it, I know ther will be issues aound adaptor plates etc etc. So I have a few questions some of you may be able to help with??

1)To be able to gauge if this engine will fit can anyone tell me the overall height I will have to fit an engine in from the bottom of the sump to the top of the oil filler, then I can work out if it will go in and what if any mods are required.

2) Has anyone any knowledge of fitting one of these engines and any gearboxes that are easier to fit than others? or info on making tha adaptor plate?
I have access to, and can get all the machining i will need doing?

I appreciate any help I can get with this.

Kev

Alphax
14th August 2008, 08:40 AM
Made several plates already but none for the evo engines. Is this the 4G63T engine? if it is, it's a hell of a good engine. Fairly compact but very strong.
Making the plate takes time and lots of accuracy.

Wrigglypig
14th August 2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks Geert yes I believe that is the engine fuel injected turbo I have a friend who has his own business building competitive evo rally cars. At the moment he is ustin EVO 7s 8s and 9s and he has a good EVO6 which he has given me and it is complete. I dont know where to start with it yet but when I have all the parts I shall post the photos to see if anyone can help.

Kev

Alphax
14th August 2008, 09:43 PM
That engine can run on its own ECU, which is a plus. If you have the flywheel, starter and clutch, it will help you a lot already.