PDA

View Full Version : New Users (to turn off or not)

The V8 Files
24th November 2012, 12:47 PM
In various post people have suggested turning off the signup feature as an interim measure when the Admin guy is available, who feels that the new user sign up should be turned off until permanent fixes/upgrades can be put in place.

Here's your chance to vote and/or add any arguments for or against.

1 = Yes

2 = No

PorkChop
24th November 2012, 02:09 PM
But that wouldn't be fair on genuine new users, which I'm sure none of us want and it wouldn't promote the forum in the best light (but then again, neither does a bucketload of spam).

Another possibility would be to temporarily create a Spam Filter forum and make that publicly available and hide every other forum. You could put all the forums (except Spam Filter) into one (passworded) master forum, which means that you should be able to only need to input the password once to access all sections.

It may also be possible to set a delete thread timer on the Spam Filter forum to delete all threads every X hours. You may be able to automatically ban members who post a thread in the Spam Filter section. I imagine that would reduce admin workload by quite a bit.

How much of all this can a super mod do?

In the long run though, IMO upgrades are the only satisfactory way to improve matters. If admin had to approve every new member with the situation (and software version) as it is now, then the workload would still be the same, it would just all be done behind the scenes.

AshG
24th November 2012, 06:32 PM
i wont delete it because im fedup deleting stuff. but quite simply put its a pointless vote. tt or i cannot switch of registrations we dont have that level of access. the it guy at haynes is away until the 26th and on his return he will do what he see's fit to stop the problem. the site is not a democracy, it belongs to haynes, im not saying they wont take suggestions onboard but they dont have to and sometimes wont.

locking all the areas other than announcements is the best i can do with the powers i have and quite frankly is pushing the limits of what i am allowed to do.

if haynes return and decide they dont like the fact that i put a password on each area then i may not be a mod for much longer.

so in essence sit back take a chill pill and haynes will sort it when they feel like it, their it guy is a nice chap so i dont think it will take him long to come up with an idea or two.