Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Where does this go? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7060)

brainbug007 16th September 2011 09:23 AM

Well again a newbie question here but is the ignition switch the same as barrel where the key goes in or is somewhere else on the loom? I guess we've proved by testing the voltages on the plug (not the barrel) are the same as the barrel so I would have thought the problem is somewhere else in the loom?

robo 16th September 2011 09:53 AM

Has the ignition barrel been off or dismantled or any part of the assembly been apart. Also was the donor a runner when you got it ie,on the button.

brainbug007 16th September 2011 10:00 AM

The ignition barrel/assembly hasn't been touched for what i can tell I can tell but I'm a bit of a newbie that way. It was just unplugged when I took the loom out. It just looked like the yellow/black wire was cut at some point in the past before me as it was joined up with a terminal block when I took it apart. The donor was indeed running as I drove it home because I didn't have means to move a non-runner.

twinturbo 16th September 2011 12:33 PM

Ignition switch is on the oposit end of the barrel from the key.

TT

brainbug007 16th September 2011 12:38 PM

Ok so that rules that out I guess. Where do I go next to try and get it running? Do you think I need to connect the ecu?

twinturbo 16th September 2011 01:47 PM

We need to figure out waht's wrong with the loom. Did you check the voltages with the switch unplugged?

TT

brainbug007 16th September 2011 01:54 PM

Yes, they where the same as with it plugged in.

brainbug007 16th September 2011 02:27 PM

I've been trying to read the wiring diagram and it looks like there should only be two wires on the ignition switch on the 1.6/1.8 cfi's. A red and yellow/black. It looks like the yellow/black should to to the anti-theft module (which I don't think I have), then it also seems to split and go to 1) power delay relay as a black wire? 2) ecu as a black wire [pin 5] 3) edis as a black wire [pin 8]. The red wire coming out of the ignition on the other had appears to split also and go to an engine managment relay, the battery positive, the ecu via a fuse [pin 1], and the power delay relay. Is the problem something like because I don't have the ecu plugged in, it's not completing the circut and i need to cut the ecu wires off and connect them up to each other?

twinturbo 16th September 2011 02:29 PM

Ok. Have you found the alarm module and it's black/Yellow wires. Unplug the module and test the voltage at the ignition again.

Also test the continuity between the starter wire at the starter and the blue/black at the switch.

Have you managed to find the matching wires for the coil?

TT

brainbug007 16th September 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Ok. Have you found the alarm module and it's black/Yellow wires. Unplug the module and test the voltage at the ignition again.
It doesn't look like mine had an alarm as I can't find any plugs for it on the loom.

Quote:

Also test the continuity between the starter wire at the starter and the blue/black at the switch.
I'll try this when I get home.

Quote:

Have you managed to find the matching wires for the coil?
yes that's connected now