Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mx5 electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12552)

skov 20th March 2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 89129)
What is the tns relay?

David

That's the relay that switches the tail and side lights. No idea why it's called TNS though :confused:

Johno 26th March 2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 89087)
The relay is for retracting the headlights so should be ok to remove/bypass.

The second one is a resistor pack to do with the Dip/Dim of the headlights. Again it can probably be removed if you remove all the other parts to do with it and plumb the headlights in directly.

Cheers
Stot

Well I think my donor car has been "tweaked" slightly...LOL
After serious amounts of head scratching I think my "Dim/Dip relay (is this the headlight relay)" has been removed.
The horn relay is on its own under the plastic cover but there is another terminal block that looks like it plugs into a relay but there is no relay...:confused:
I've looked everywhere in my scrap wiring bag and still no relay..
Then I found this on MX5 Nutz.com.

It was always my understanding that the dim-dip relay/resistor energises the dip/main beam bulb at a lower power (16%) and that there is no provision ex-factory for a wiring harness for sidelight bulbs in the headlamps.

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!! Now it becomes clear! Ignore me and my stupid questions!! I've been and looked at the headlights today. They already have been replaced with H4 replacements. And I now see and understand the dim dip part of it. Should have realised by the name really!! There is no sidelight bulb in the headlamp unit, I don't need to replace them and it is just the headlight bulb lighting at a lower voltage!! I suppose if I'd researched it properly I'd have found that out myself!!! :oops:

Now I just need to find out whether she wants to keep the dim dip or whether she'll let me pull the relay!

Cheers for clearing that up, got there eventually!!

So I guess my relay has been pulled and the resistor pack is now redundant as Stot suggested....

Johno 28th March 2013 08:56 PM

Here's a photo of the relays found under the dash....

Notice the wiring colours and the loop connector.

In the engine bay I found only one relay under the plastic cover marked as LA10 I think and a connector just dangling there...

Is this all I should have? The wiring colours don't seem to match the "Madracki" drawings so hard to trace...

Can anybody help?

The yellow connector is the horn relay I think....

Davidbolam 28th March 2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 89309)
Here's a photo of the relays found under the dash....

Notice the wiring colours and the loop connector.

In the engine bay I found only one relay under the plastic cover marked as LA10 I think and a connector just dangling there...

Is this all I should have? The wiring colours don't seem to match the "Madracki" drawings so hard to trace...

Can anybody help?

The yellow connector is the horn relay I think....

The black and yellow one is Connector for the horn relay

Ste W 9th January 2015 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 89130)
That's the relay that switches the tail and side lights. No idea why it's called TNS though :confused:

Tail Numberplate Sides