Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Discs (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3718)

Matthew 28th February 2010 08:26 AM

I bought the made up version from 3GE so I don't even have the jig to align everything if I did manage to get it apart.

I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they think - sounds like it may be cheaper to get a new pair than to pay someone to disassemble and re-weld the existing ones.

Can you do me a favour and let me know the exact angle that the plates need to be at.

Thanks
Matt

RAYLEE29 28th February 2010 07:30 PM

Hi, mine are set at 45 degrees rearward from the upright like yours spike
handbrake cable runs nicely to caliper just need to cut off end and shorten inner cable
planning on a bracket hanging between upper wishbone mounts to keep cable out of the way of wishbones
no pics at mo if anyone wants pics ill take some
Ray:)

Spikehaus 28th February 2010 08:21 PM

Matt

I will not be in the workshop where the car lives again now until Saturday, so will do it then. I pretty much just lined the RU8 plate right hand upper hole to align vertically to the upright. (Just remember to make each one a reverse so each other) I am sure 3GE can make you a new one. As for the old ones, stick them on e bay. You are sure to sell it super quick. .

Spikehaus 28th February 2010 08:38 PM

Matt

I forgot to say, I also have a reason why I want to wait till the weekend.....I am starting a 14 week AutoCAD course that starts tomorrow night. So this will be my first project to be able to send you a CAD drawing! Its about time I put my design skills onto paper!

Matthew 2nd March 2010 06:55 AM

Thanks

There's no hurry, I won't have time to do anything on the car until the weekend either.

Good luck with the course.

Matt

twinturbo 2nd March 2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spikehaus (Post 32811)
Matt

I forgot to say, I also have a reason why I want to wait till the weekend.....I am starting a 14 week AutoCAD course that starts tomorrow night. So this will be my first project to be able to send you a CAD drawing! Its about time I put my design skills onto paper!

I did AutoCad at uni back in 1992, I guess it's moved on abit ( except in how much it costs :eek: )

TT

adrianreeve 23rd March 2010 06:34 PM

Just thought I'd let people who have already made their disc rear uprights according to the book, that all is not lost! My standard sierra callipers fitted upside down, no problem, and a disc handbrake cable from Westfield at £22 fits perfectly without any cutting! Happy days!

Only problem is that the bleed nipple is at the bottom of the calliper, but if you can build a car, I reckon you can probably work out how to bleed the upside down calliper!

Cheers

Adrian

teun 23rd March 2010 07:29 PM

Great news i will change left/right at this moment i have no place for the cable i see if your idea will work thanks.

Spikehaus 23rd March 2010 07:55 PM

Well done Adrian, I did not try it in that position! Are you using disc guards as well? I have not forgotten about the CAD drawing. I am on week four of the Autocad evening course so I can now turn the PC on and Login! Will you have finished your car before I finish the 18 week course?? haha

adrianreeve 23rd March 2010 09:58 PM

Spike

No, not using the disc guards. It all fits together really well without, and I'm really glad, coz I didn't want to pay out for more uprights!

Cheers

Adrian