Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My progress (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4116)

Bonzo 18th April 2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 36432)
Err... The passenger does not need adjustment. they have no pedals.

TT

That's a fair comment if you dont want to make the passenger seat adjustable :)

On my build, just don't see number one son ( 6'2) and my good lady wife ( 4'10" ) being none too keen on a fixed seat position ;)

The ole arc burn is a real risk in this weather .... Way better that a nice big dollop of weld splatter doing one of the following !!??

Drop down into your rigger boots, fly down the top of your open shirt'n fizzle down your belly or my all time favorite .... Tricky bit of overhead welding, you know, the bit that takes you ages to get in just the right position .... Frigging splatter finds its way down your sleeve & comes to a rest, right in the fold of your arm :eek:

This is when you find out if you are a true, roughty tuffty welder & if determination will overcome the pain barrier :D

twinturbo 18th April 2010 04:11 PM

Fit two foot rests instead.. or get a wife with longer legs ;)

But when I went out in spuds car my legs just liad on the floor.. Don't see the need...

TT

HandyAndy 18th April 2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 36436)
Fit two foot rests instead.. or get a wife with longer legs

But when I went out in spuds car my legs just liad on the floor.. Don't see the need...

TT

Having been out in spuds car on a couple of track days :cool: ...its nice to have something to "brace " your feet against :D especially hurtling into the corners when i thought he,d left the braking 10mtrs too late :eek: :o

cheers
andy

mark 18th April 2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 36437)
Having been out in spuds car on a couple of track days :cool: ...its nice to have something to "brace " your feet against, especially hurtling into the corners when i thought he,d left the braking 10mtrs too late

cheers
andy

The only problem with spuds passenger foot rest is if you are of normal size like me.......ie over six foot :D you dont fit in properly!

I have to cross my ankles with my knees bent up against the dashboard which isnt comfy, but you soon forget about that when he gets his foot down.

If you have tall family/friends dont put a foot rest in

If you are an elf and all your friends are too then go for it :p :D

HandyAndy 18th April 2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 36439)
The only problem with spuds passenger foot rest is if you are of normal size like me.......ie over six foot you dont fit in properly!

I have to cross my ankles with my knees bent up against the dashboard which isnt comfy, but you soon forget about that when he gets his foot down.

If you have tall family/friends dont put a foot rest in

If you are an elf and all your friends are too then go for it

Sooooooo there is an advantage of being a short ar$e eh??????? :p :D

as for being an elf:eek: ....I can now see over the top of my aeroscreen with my seats sat on 25mm boxed tube :D

cheers
andy

spud69 18th April 2010 05:17 PM

You've got it spot on there Mark, if i try to get in the passenger seat i don't fit in cos of the footrest, only tried it once though... Only bought it since it was cheap and thought it looked alright. Think it's probably the best option to have all the way back without the rest, the only time i put the seat forward is for my 10 year old lad because the seat belt won't tighten up enough with the seat right back. Also you'll find anyone sitting forward will obstruct your vision from the left, can be a distraction and annoyance.

Mark, took your bits into powder coaters yesterday and shall let you know when they are ready.

Well done Ronnie, sounds like we've both been very busy this weekend....;)

AndyH

Davey 18th April 2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 36434)
That's a fair comment if you dont want to make the passenger seat adjustable :)

On my build, just don't see number one son ( 6'2) and my good lady wife ( 4'10" ) being none too keen on a fixed seat position

The ole arc burn is a real risk in this weather .... Way better that a nice big dollop of weld splatter doing one of the following !!??

Drop down into your rigger boots, fly down the top of your open shirt'n fizzle down your belly or my all time favorite .... Tricky bit of overhead welding, you know, the bit that takes you ages to get in just the right position .... Frigging splatter finds its way down your sleeve & comes to a rest, right in the fold of your arm :eek:

This is when you find out if you are a true, roughty tuffty welder & if determination will overcome the pain barrier :D

Naah mate, the worst one is when you've spent two hours getting into a box about the size of a coffin to do an overhead weld but you can only get in by lying on your side with your arms ahead of you. Then when you make the weld a seemingly golf ball sized blob of white hot weld spatter drops into your ear hole and you can't even move to dislodge it so you just have to lie there and listen to it sizzle in the ear wax and hope your tears have dried up before you get out again:mad: .

Glad your build is proceeding, mine is definately on the back burner for most of the summer as its show season for us, first show next weekend at peterborough followed by Stoneleigh the following weekend (can't wait) then we have one show per month through till September plus weekends out for "us" time. First weekend of July is of course Goodwood Festival of Speed so that's a long weekend out.

D.
D.

dogwood 18th April 2010 05:46 PM

As we are talking about welding misfortunes.
Try this.
Welding under the arse end of a ship from a painpunt (Dodgy floating ply box)
Some clever C*** decides to start deballasting.....:mad:
Within 5 seconds the punt was full, and going down like the Titanic.
With me and all the welding gear in it.
Needless to say I was not a happy bunny when I got back onboard.
Waited for the tide to go out, then made the t**t resposible crawl out in the mud and recover all the gear..
Almost worth getting wet,
just to see him up to his neck in stinking Thames mud, then getting washed down with the fire hose.:D :D

Land Locked 18th April 2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogwood (Post 36452)
Try this.
Waited for the tide to go out, then made the t**t resposible crawl out in the mud and recover all the gear..
just to see him up to his neck in stinking Thames mud, then getting washed down with the fire hose.:D :D

You paint a clear picture with word there. I just pee'd me pants.

Davey 18th April 2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogwood (Post 36452)
Try this.

Cool response to a dickhead. I was taught to weld by an ex Barrow shipyard boilermaker and I've done some interesting stuff through the years. One job in Peterborough was to weld two 5 metre lengths of 1.75 metre diameter 12mm wall sewer pipe together. This was then craned into place across a canal where it had to be welded to an existing pipe. so there's me and my mate up to our knees in canal and mud stick welding with two dirty great diesel welding gen sets, high cycle stuff that runs at 3kcycles. We're pushing 80 volts at 180 amps into four mm rods and its raining, every time we changed a rod we got a 3Kc belt off the buggers so we soon learned to line up the next half dozen rods on the concrete bank edge and just grap them with the rod holders. doing the inside of the pipe was not fun because of the high cycle welding sets, the weld doesn't hum like an ordinary arc welder it screams at 3000cycles per second. sit inside a 20 metre long 1.75m dia pipe for an hour with that going and your deaf for hours afterwards.

D.
Apologies to Bonzo for hijacking the thread.:D