Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Steel cutting method (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2274)

DaddyA 7th July 2009 08:05 PM

Hi,

being my first build (might do another????) I wanted to do as much myself as possible so went the hacksaw and file route. It wasn't to bad, the bigger angles were more of pain but managable, however, now I have done it, I would probably go with the pack if I did the same build?

les g 7th July 2009 08:13 PM

we bought a bandsaw from wolfonline for approx £100 (pics posted somewhere ) excellent bit of kit
but if i was to do a chassis again i would buy an Armoto kit
reason: very few of the cuts are repeatable and you cant cut multiples as only two rails/uprights whatever are ever the same ie.1 left 1 right after that every bit of steel needed is individual
and it seems to take an age to measur,mark,cutand fettle
hey buts that just my opinion
cheers les g

HandyAndy 7th July 2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyA (Post 17497)
Hi,

being my first build (might do another????) I wanted to do as much myself as possible so went the hacksaw and file route. It wasn't to bad, the bigger angles were more of pain but managable, however, now I have done it, I would probably go with the pack if I did the same build?

SNAP ! :)

i did the same , cut with a hacksaw, cutting disk & a file or two......... but if i built another car then i,d buy a pre cut kit pack.

ssshhhh don,t tell the wife that there will be another car after this one ;) it,ll be cheaper i,ll tell the wife as it only needs 1 seat :D :D

andy

james83mills 7th July 2009 08:30 PM

i love my rage three, i have had no problems with it, yeah there are some metal pieces but just attach the dyson and these are eliminated. accuracy isn't the best i find the laser isn't dead on, but as long as you have measured the angle manually before you chop things are ok. just do a dummy chop ie with no power and make sure the blade is on the waste side of the cut

remember

MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE

chriseyj 7th July 2009 09:17 PM

Because funds are limited i used a hacksaw but if I did it again I think i'd invest in a chop saw. Must of spent £15 on blades although my mate says thats because I don't know how to use it.

The only plus side is I started to get a bicep like Popeye, well not quite, but building a chassis was more enjoyable than I imagine going to the gym would of been.

miles50 8th July 2009 12:27 AM

I bought a Rage 3 but I also clamped the material to be cut with wide jaw vise grips. I am planning on buying the metal cutting blade. It has almost twice the teeth the all purpose blade does. Also used a bandsaw for the higher angled parts. I clean up the angles with a 12" surface sander. If the option were available state side I would have bought a chassis pack.

HandyAndy 8th July 2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miles50 (Post 17520)
I bought a Rage 3 but I also clamped the material to be cut with wide jaw vise grips. I am planning on buying the metal cutting blade. It has almost twice the teeth the all purpose blade does. Also used a bandsaw for the higher angled parts. I clean up the angles with a 12" surface sander. If the option were available state side I would have bought a chassis pack.

ah, so you are in the USA eh?
where abouts ?

i believe there is another member from Florida building a Roadster too.

is the "7" style car popular in the states?
sorry for lots of questions :o

andy:)

ACE HIGH 8th July 2009 06:12 AM

steel cutting method

A hacksaw,cut each end 1/2mm oversize and true it up.Buy only the best blades,24 teeth per inch would be my choice but 18 OK.I have over 40 years of experience as a fitter /welder with all sorts of fancy expensive gear,and by the time I stuffed around setting it up and cleaning up the ends I would have done the job.Hacksaws can be very dangerous,dont lean on a blunt blade,if it fractures and breaks it will spear back at your face and neck and chest,always wear safety glasses with a hacksaw and throw away blunt blades, and most importantly,there are only 2 types of blades,the best and rubbish,pay extra for good blades.I consider so called chop saws VERY dangerous,but I am a little behind the times here,I would only consider one of these from a top brand,Bosch,Fein,Makita,Hitachi,AEG etc.Life is a little cheap in China.David:)

james83mills 8th July 2009 01:52 PM

The rage three run at a slower speed than a standard mitre saw, the motor is geared so that it keeps the same level of cutting torque when it come to resistance that is how it can cut through wood and metal at the same time without jumping this gives it an increased level of safety

saying this my rage three has just broken on me :(

james83mills 8th July 2009 04:57 PM

don't worry fixed the rage three

and any angle cut is possible with the rage 3. you just have to make a few simple jigs and ensure that everything is secure