Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Noob with a new mx5 Saturn build. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13638)

SeriesLandy 25th February 2016 09:22 AM

They didn't look under my tunnel panels during iva. He didn't even want to look at the photos in had on my iPad. I have carpet with Velcro over the Ali panels.

norton 25th February 2016 10:00 AM

Thats what I wanted to hear. I can do a far neater job if I don't have to make it a quickly removable part.

CTWV50 27th February 2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norton (Post 103029)
Has anyone here successfully iva'd a car without using an indicator stalk but instead employed a different way of using the indicators? Dash mounted buttons?

Also the same with the ignition switch? I quite fancy a bare steering column you see.

Car's looking great. Who made the tank? dash buttons seem like a good idea for a clean column, but in reality it's simply dangerous when driving fast on the roads. I tried it and hated it. kept the dash buttons for now but never use them. Sorry to be negative but you'll see what I mean if you try it.:)

Rosco 28th February 2016 10:52 PM

Im going for just switches on the dash for everything, did you see my tunnel edge trim? Starting to look like a car now!

norton 8th April 2016 08:34 PM

Hey, yes I saw your tunnel trim, looks lovely and I will confess to trying to replicate it but I just can't cut my sheet ally with the same precision so mine would look gash. Cover it, that'll do!

I have had some success in making a sheet metal brake and the first job was to make a petrol tank clamp that hugs the tank from front to rear, errr, much like Roscos (you'll see a theme occurring here) and I can crack on with my fuel pipes which then means finishing the tunnel trim. With these jobs done I might tackle the ally side and rear panels before I think about them too much.

I've been distracted from the car lately as I needed to make a new tv unit and desk for my PC however I'm now back on track again.

norton 10th April 2016 05:48 PM

Tank is fitted! I painted the brace I made and lined everything with rubber. I've drilled and tapped these see flange which I'll fit with studs. I've also adapted the sender float by rotating it 90 degrees and reforming the float arm. It now reads absolute full and just above completely empty so there's a little reserve.

I can now crack on with running fuel lines along with some wiring clips along the tunnel.

I also got organised.

K4KEV 11th April 2016 07:39 PM

[quote=norton;103356]Tank is fitted! I painted the brace I made and lined everything with rubber. I've drilled and tapped these see flange which I'll fit with studs. I've also adapted the sender float by rotating it 90 degrees and reforming the float arm. It now reads absolute full and just above completely empty so there's a little reserve.

I can now crack on with running fuel lines along with some wiring clips along the tunnel.

I sometimes have to remind peeps about that wee mod required on the sender/float arm.... although it is quite obvious how to do it when you come to imagine how it fits when you hold it up to where it would be at the back of the tank

norton 12th April 2016 09:59 AM

Yeah it didn't take long to realise it was a straightforward mod to get it functioning perfectly.

Oddly, fitting the tank feels like a significant turning point, like I've hit the halfway point. I like it.

Rosco 13th April 2016 08:16 AM

looking good mate!

we need some pictures of this sheet metal brake to!!

norton 16th October 2016 06:59 PM

So after a bit of a break I'm getting rolling again. I've got a vintage old bandsaw to finish restoring the. I'm going to get cracking with the rear and side panels.

I'm aiming to have it done by next summer, the deadline is set!