Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flat pack chassis kits (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5590)

ozzy1 23rd December 2010 10:28 AM

What i dont understand is with a population of approx 50 million why vat in the uk is 20% when here in Oz with a population of 20 million and Gst(vat) is 10% :eek: and we feel ripped off :eek:

fabbyglass 23rd December 2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy1 (Post 50471)
What i dont understand is with a population of approx 50 million why vat in the uk is 20% when here in Oz with a population of 20 million and Gst(vat) is 10% :eek: and we feel ripped off :eek:

Petrol is a nutty £1.25 a ltr in most places and with 20% vat looming it just gives us something else to whinge yet do nowt about....we roll over every time and let the powers that be take us from behind....It's a British thing don't yer know...........:D :D

HandyAndy 23rd December 2010 02:17 PM

:eek: crikey....I didn,t mean to set off a heated debate on the woes of the economic climate, was just trying to keep my chassis kits at the same price before the VAT increase:)

Tho I do understand that everyone has their own opinions on the way the country is run, its quite a hot topic.....

BUT

back to the original post of this thread.........

Since creating the thread yesterday it has proven quite popular as folk are obviously aware of the costs etc as I,ve received 3 confirmed orders so its nice to know that folk like the idea of pre vat increase bulk buy of my steel stock & trying to help builders "Build a Roadster on a budget".

cheers
andy

alga 23rd December 2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy1 (Post 50471)

The EU regulates the VAT rate. The regulated minimum is 15%, but most countries have it around 20%, give or take[1]. The brits had the best rate in the whole EU after Gibraltar, Canaries, Azores, Cyprus and Luxembourg.
Now, the reason for regulating VAT is that a lower VAT rate in one country *cough* *cough* would put it at a competitive advantage against neighbours due to a livelier economy and more export. And forcing the neighbours to reduce the VAT race would be bad as their budgets would suffer :confused:

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_VAT#VAT_rates

AshG 23rd December 2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airhead (Post 50452)
AshG - I do not appreciate being called an idiot for having an opinion. Another opinion of mine is that the county is in the state it is because there are people who are happy to put other folks down to big themselves up.

It is only £6.50, get over it.

sorry airhead i was generalising, my comment wasn't directly aimed at you. you cant possibly be an idiot your building a roadster

how votes i should beat myself with the pole of moderation :D

monsterob 23rd December 2010 07:13 PM

Whoops ! Sorry andy my bad i had the moan first !

les g 23rd December 2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 50483)
sorry airhead i was generalising, my comment wasn't directly aimed at you. you cant possibly be an idiot your building a roadster

how votes i should beat myself with the pole of moderation :D

you should send all of us a card saying i,m very sorry....
and enclose a £20 note as compensation .LOL
cheers les g
have a good one

fabbyglass 23rd December 2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by les g (Post 50486)
you should send all of us a card saying i,m very sorry....
and enclose a £20 note as compensation .LOL
cheers les g
have a good one

And Les has kindly said he would take us all on holiday next year because he won the lottery:cool:

AshG 23rd December 2010 08:41 PM

sorry les i can send you a card without money but there is a fee to receive it. but don't worry its ONLY going to cost you £6.50 out of your holiday fund.

HandyAndy 23rd December 2010 08:45 PM

:p .....Well, it certainly got this thread viewed alot :) :D

hey Fabby / Les..... I actually had a pint of Guinness last night , there,s a first time for everything & its the season of goodwill to all..HIC....Les, where you taking me on holiday then? :D

cheers
andy