Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   SSC - GRP Clearout (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7039)

spud69 5th September 2011 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Updated PDF.

monsterob 5th September 2011 06:27 PM

cheers spud see you saturday :D

PorkChop 5th September 2011 09:09 PM

Bits bought, me skint now :D

gaz05 5th September 2011 10:24 PM

Whats the best way to paint these and would it be durable?

PorkChop 5th September 2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz05 (Post 64117)
Whats the best way to paint these and would it be durable?

Like any other car TBH. The only difference would be the primer.

MarkB 6th September 2011 09:06 AM

You need specific primer for grp then quality paint so to do a 7 you are perhaps looking at £200 worth of paint then the elbow grease and somewhere to paint it properly as need warmth, having it done by a paint shop would cost more than a new set of panels.

spud69 6th September 2011 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gaz,

We have a body shop in the unit opposite us and we have had a few pieces sprayed in the past where builders have wanted colors not available in the normal RAL range, pearl colours mainly. They have turned out really good by etching the gel with 800g grit then a few thin layers of colored base coat and lacquered over the top. They have come out very nice but its all in preparation and cleanliness to get a professional finish.

Updated list below:

Bonzo 6th September 2011 12:56 PM

Wide scoop bonnet for me

Hi Andy

You can put me down for a wide scoop bonnet please, not fussed which one :)

I think the wide scoop will be an ideal compliment to my Redtop engine & will resolve a few clearance issues that I have.

Email me the payment details & I'll sort it pronto.

I have painted a fair bit of GRP over the years, mainly boats & aftermarket car body kits.
Never had a problem obtaining a good, long lasting finish.

Any decent paint shop will be more than happy to advise on the correct paint system to use on GRP ;) :)

spud69 6th September 2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 64136)
Hi Andy

You can put me down for a wide scoop bonnet please, not fussed which one :)

I think the wide scoop will be an ideal compliment to my Redtop engine & will resolve a few clearance issues that I have.

Email me the payment details & I'll sort it pronto.

I have painted a fair bit of GRP over the years, mainly boats & aftermarket car body kits.
Never had a problem obtaining a good, long lasting finish.

Any decent paint shop will be more than happy to advise on the correct paint system to use on GRP ;) :)

No problem Ronnie - you can collect it on Saturday.....;)

MarkB 6th September 2011 01:23 PM

Painted a few grp bodied cars over the years and I found it easier than messing with normal cars but prep is the key to it all and working clean. Pretty much the same applies to doing grp anyway to avoid problems.