Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TwinTurbos Build Diary.... (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4335)

CTWV50 1st April 2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 46132)
Probably more of a hinderance, but hopefully it will get them interested in something more worthwhile than football or gamez conoles.

TT

Amen to that, not that I am religious or anything!:)

twinturbo 19th April 2011 09:20 PM

So as per another thread, I now have a prop and it's mocked up in place. Thanks To Ash :)

Also tonight went out and finally profiled the lower edges of my roll hoop ( bought last year ( Again from Ash ;) ) and then lined up and welded on the base plates.

Will take a pick on Thursday when I get back in the garage.

:)

TT

twinturbo 8th June 2011 09:57 PM

I forgot to say just after the last post.. That my rear uprights had not been made correctly and the mounting plate had the holes slightly off line. I got some new correct plates. But had to remove the old ones from the uprights.

I have done most of one and am half way through the other. It's slow going slicing down and in and across and up and.... But I am getting there.

Once the crap is off and cleaned up I will line up the new plates and weld them on, bust remember to drill out the holes on the rear plates.

I have a week off soon, so hope to get some real progress under my belt.

TT

twinturbo 25th June 2011 10:03 PM

Well, 3 weeks ago I knew I had a week off and the intention was to rework the rear uprights check the suspension and then pull the diff and engine so I could prep the chassis. a few other jobs were planned on other things including pulling the twin turbo engine from my XR4x4.....

Then I find I have a hernia so all heavy jobs are off..

So. My week has not gone according to plan.

So this week I have done many small jobs on my Sapphire 24V, fitted the security, refitted the dash and most of the interior.

I have done the plugs on my Volvo, and done oil and filters on the Galaxy, I have done coolant on both sierras and other minor jobs.

And in and arround this I cracked on with what i could on the Haynes, sides , scuttle, firewall and nosecone are located and mostly done.

Davey 26th June 2011 06:46 AM

Looking good Rob, hope the Hernia gets sorted soon.

D.

twinturbo 17th July 2011 09:45 PM

No news on hernia opp, but had a couple of productive evenings.

During my week off I reworked the rear uprights, got one in place mocked up :)

Couple of days later I went to do the other and found the shock mount was about 4mm to narrow ( dam dodgy second hand parts) tried to EASE them out but they were getting out of shape :( F.....K I have just wasted 3hrs reworking them and a 12MM drill bit too ( it snapped :eek: ) .. I tried to buy a single replacement but ended up with one turning up for the cost of postage, :D My supplier said it was a second and had been in the scrap bin but I could not tell why..

Anyway. Scroll forward.

I got a good Polo Rad ( S/H shelf wear ) and made up the mounts for that yesterday and it's sitting easonably.

I also fitted up all the wishbones and put on the shox temporarily. for mocking up. Hunted down a set of slave wheels ( they will actualy be the post SVA wheels.) Only got one on.

Whilst hunting for the wheels I found an old Sierra upper Column. These have a colapsible triangular shaft that slides up inside on nylon bushes. I had a lower column from some an old non pas sierra, and another few UJ's and shafts. Combining the sierra coulmn, the lower column, the uj gave me a space that could neatly be filled by a section of the triangular column. Perfect, Will take some pics tomorrow.

TT

Bonzo 18th July 2011 08:51 AM

Sounds like you have been making some good progress Rob :)

Look forward to seeing some pictures :cool:

twinturbo 5th August 2011 07:03 PM

So all wheels have been on for a couple of weeks, and it rolls forwards and backwards ( you can even turn the prop by hand to move :D )

Clutch cable test fitted and works ( not a perfect fit but it works, think busing the tube would help.

Throttle cable, ( took 3 attempts to find it! ) fitted. I have had to make up a little adapter from the through pin fitting to the CVH cable end. And made up a temporrary return spring arangement that will be reworked when the box is back out.

Wired up the ignition switch and that works and starts the car nicely :)

Buying exhaust fittings to buld the exhaust system.

TT

twinturbo 28th August 2011 09:05 PM

An exhausting few days...

I now have my exhaust all fitted up and just ready for final dressing of the welds, a job I was realy dreading ( thinking it was going to be a total PITA ) was actualy not bad.

I have a 1.8cvh with an RS turbo manifold on it.

I got a silencer a month or three back, and then guessed a selection of pipe parts ( 2x 1m , 2x 45deg 1x 33deg and a sleeve ).

I then also bought a S/H Westfield CVH 4 branch. As option 2.

last week I mounted up the silencer, and then redid it the next day as I was unhappy. I had put the bobbins to one side and the exhuats was rather bouncy with the weight to one side.. So I re-did it with the bobins directly below the pipe and it was much better.

I got the Westi manifold through the post and it was a tantalising
ly close fit. it would probably work fine if the engine was a fraction further forward...

Anyway, I bought a 3 stage pipe adapter 54mm down to 48. which was almost perfect to go onto the turbo flange of the RST manifold. A few minuets with my Engineers Fettle and it was very close indeed and welded to the flange. The sleve joint was then slid into that, the first 45 bend into that, and the second 45 bend into that. and it fitted the silencer nicely.

Welded, up and finished. Making the downpipe probably took an hour tops

She's a bit quieter now

TT

twinturbo 3rd September 2011 12:25 PM

Hernia Opp is this coming Thursday, so only very light duties for a few weeks after that. 4 weeks off work to fill with doing light stuff :confused:

I need to mark up the side panel and cut out the exhaust hole so that I can remount the panel.

Think I will be making up my brake lines ( at least the flexi ones )... Got all the bits last week :)

TT

poshguy 3rd September 2011 03:32 PM

good luck with your op and with some light duties im sure there is planty that can be done that falls into that bracket lol :D

Bonzo 4th September 2011 06:10 PM

Here's wishing you all the best for your hernia opp Rob, may you make a speedy recovery :)

At least when the opp is out of the way & all healed up you'll be able to crack on with the heavy stuff once more :cool:

I remember when my dear old Dad collected me after my hernia opp
He took all of the very bumpy back roads to my house so as I wouldn't be in the car stuck in traffic on all those nice smooth roads :D :D

twinturbo 4th September 2011 06:35 PM

My Neighbor has just had one a few weeks back, he's probably twice my age though :rolleyes: But he seems nice and mobile again.

I got the side panel back on and the hole cut for the zorts, and the hole for the air filter ( although it needs a bit of enlarging.

Poping to get some petrol later so I can run it for more than a few seconds. Will take some more photos :)

TT

gaz05 4th September 2011 07:46 PM

I had an inguinal (Groin) hernia done in 2003 and it took me ages to get over it. Take it very easy at least for the first few weeks.

HandyAndy 6th September 2011 08:14 PM

All the best for Thursday,s Op Rob, take it easy afterwards & don,t be tempted to "just lift that gearbox out of the way" etc,

cheers
andy

Bonzo 8th September 2011 04:35 PM

How did the opp go today Rob.

Hope you are being a good boy & taking things easy :) :)

twinturbo 8th September 2011 05:19 PM

was 1st on the list, 1 1/2 hrs of unpleasentness. I have experienced worse pain, but possibly not over such a prolonged period and still going on.

Back home by 2pm ish..

able to move arround slowley, lignacaine if wearing off.......

on a plus point, I did get fuel the other and had the roadster running on juice :) exhaust sounds good, and I don't think it will be too loud.. Do need a stronger return spring on the throttle cable though.

I Cut the hole in the bonnet for the carb too, so I can fit the bonnet.

TT

twinturbo 11th September 2011 12:17 PM

Moving more freely, not had much pain killers since Friday just a couple of anti-infma ones to help the swelling subside. So should be out and about in the garage looking at little jobs in a few days. Bending is the biggest restriction, got a litter picker to help me out..

TT

Bonzo 11th September 2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 64548)
Moving more freely, not had much pain killers since Friday just a couple of anti-infma ones to help the swelling subside. So should be out and about in the garage looking at little jobs in a few days. Bending is the biggest restriction, got a litter picker to help me out..

TT

Great to hear that you are feeling a little more comfortable Rob :)

I am sure you'll soon be on the mend.

Those little uns of yours should make ideal little helpers :) :cool:

Take care & don't over do it ;)

robo 11th September 2011 04:14 PM

Ok rob i have got a few things in mind to help

http://www.mobilitymegastore.co.uk/usrimage/cat26.jpg

http://archive.worldhistoria.com/upl...64/pipe15a.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2/Slippers.jpg

Take it steady

Bob

twinturbo 14th September 2011 08:21 PM

Proper startup..

http://youtu.be/r-4r7uP7e14

TT

twinturbo 1st April 2012 04:06 PM

Actualy did a little today,

My services tray down the tunnel was done a few months ago or at lesat the first part was.

Today I fitted the pipe clips to this part....

Not much progress reall. Oha nd it now has 15" wheels rather than the 17" ones.

TT

twinturbo 14th April 2012 08:27 PM

Gave her a start today.

And mocked up most of the cooling system, I am using a MK2/3 golf coolant bottle as it's compact and works with my design.

TT

twinturbo 9th June 2012 09:12 PM

Did a bit more mocking on the cooling system to the point I could put water in and watch where it flowed out :rolleyes: ,

I need some alterations, a couple of T's and a bit of work. But it held water and I ran the car for a few minuets..

TT

Davey 10th June 2012 08:48 AM

Well done Rob. I think we all lose steam a bit after a while and progress becomes slow but it is still progress. Keep plugging away at the little bits and it will all come together in the end.

D.

SeriesLandy 10th June 2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 74471)
Did a bit more mocking on the cooling system to the point I could put water in and watch where it flowed out :rolleyes: ,

I need some alterations, a couple of T's and a bit of work. But it held water and I ran the car for a few minuets..

TT

Glad to hear your getting there TT. Have you found a cheap supplier of t's? Cheapest I could find on eBay was £16 for an alloy one.

HandyAndy 10th June 2012 12:18 PM

Nice one TT, getting it running is a major milestone of the build :cool:

Its surprising how doing a small amount of work on the build instead of going gung ho & trying to do it all in one go on a regular basis soon ticks off the "to do list",

Keep at it ;)

twinturbo 10th June 2012 04:58 PM

Got it running a long time ago, but only for short runs with no water.

See if I can get some more done over the next week .... Or nowt :rolleyes:

phil clegg 19th July 2012 06:52 PM

turbo technics

i am selling a turbo technics 2.8 v6 conversion,do you what power these are and any info or general info that is on the internet anywhere,thanks phil 07957617548

twinturbo 19th July 2012 07:57 PM

It will be either 200BHP or 230BHP unless it's one of the mega rare ones. Is there a build plate with an Fxx Number.

XROC website is about the best place for info, or try TurboTechnics if you have any original documentation to go on..

2.8's used a modded dizzy and fuel metering unit. often lost from kits.

twinturbo 13th October 2012 03:40 PM

Started to plan out the pipework to the rear today, and rememberd reading someones comments on the handbrake cables, so dug them out and had a look at their proximity to my pipes. Had to start rethinking a little.

Also Started looking at my bonnet latches again as last time I tried fitting them it was a bit of a failure and I gave up.

And started to plan the dash a bit more...

So no real progress but planning should reduce frustrations in the future.

TT

HandyAndy 14th October 2012 09:48 AM

Good to hear you,re back onto your Build Rob :cool:

twinturbo 14th October 2012 10:09 AM

Trying to get space in the garage, sold my 2 V6 Type 9's which made some impact. But the 2 DOHC's, Zetec, 12V V6 and 24V V6, Spare 4pot type 9, 2 spare 4x4 MT75 and RWD MT75 are just the tip of the tidy up iceberg!!

There's a bike that belongs to my Brother in law in the way too... That's there at least till may when he comes back from NZ.

I am considering ideas to re-route the Pipes over the handbrake cable bracket rather than under. The space on the tunnel is dead there so going upwards may be easier. I will have a think.

My problem with my bonnet latches was attaching them securely , but needing to be able to take them off again to get the side panels of for final chassis prep. The latch needs one mounting where the top rail is and that became an issue.. I have a plan with a long bolt now.

I fired up my Acewell dash and put the magnet on a extension bar in my pillar drill, simulated the speedo input. Fortunatly my dash displays speed all the time so no need to fudge around with disabling the mode button. Need to order some switches from SVC, which I can hopefully commit to later this week.

And Finish up the water system that I started.

baz-r 19th October 2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 79200)
Trying to get space in the garage, sold my 2 V6 Type 9's which made some impact. But the 2 DOHC's, Zetec, 12V V6 and 24V V6, Spare 4pot type 9, 2 spare 4x4 MT75 and RWD MT75 are just the tip of the tidy up iceberg!!

my god and i thort i was a horder :D
im sure you can convert some of all that to build tokens:cool:

twinturbo 21st October 2012 05:34 PM

Have 2 out of the 4 bonnet latches on now. will need some minor finishing on final assembly but they make a big difference holding the lid in place :)

TT

twinturbo 22nd October 2012 12:34 PM

Oooohh..

4 out of 4 bonet catches on. May need some fettling to get them tighter...

And I have started looking at the column bearing, need to bash out the old style mount. The new bearing has been tested in place and looks good.

Try and get a few pics later tonight has been a very long time since a decent shot has been taken.

TT

twinturbo 20th February 2013 06:31 PM

Fired her up :) always sounds good even for a 1.8CVH

then bashed off the old column bearing mount, just need to grind down the old welds and then fit up the new bearing.

Sold a 2.0DOHC so there is a little more space to play with in the garage. It's just not very tidy.

TT

twinturbo 3rd March 2013 08:33 AM

Column bearing is now in place, couple of little mits to tidy on it but it's going to be much better than the sierra item.

Then got distracted by firing up the 24V sierra.

And then set about removing the front suspension from the XR4x4 in order to get ready for removing that cars engine and starting the repair work on the shell. Cut out a long bit of rotten sill.

3 Projects, time share, slow progress.

TT

rpjg1975 3rd March 2013 08:41 AM

Getting there then slowly tt?

I'm on hold due to reroofing the garage but itching to get cracked on now its a bit warmer!

twinturbo 3rd March 2013 08:54 AM

Very Very Slowly.

Usual thing, get al the heavy big jobs done and then slow right down on the small things.

24V sierra is 12 Years Off road.

TT