Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General discussion (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How many Roadsters being built (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2140)

HandyAndy 20th August 2009 08:49 PM

from the recent posts being made from new members,

are there any Roadster builders out there that haven,t voted on this poll??
lets try & keep this poll up to date.

60 currently being built is a fantastic number, we,re gonna need a bigger field at the Stoneleigh show :D

andy:)

AshG 20th August 2009 09:16 PM

just seen this and thought i better sort out some more roll bars now im all settled in the new digs.

squbti 21st August 2009 02:48 PM

I started a few months ago but have´nt done anything since i´ve been on vacation:D but my chassis is almost done & i´m now starting now on the suspension.
cheers
Samy

peter2482 22nd August 2009 09:11 AM

im going to be starting soon.... currently learning to weld.

HandyAndy 22nd August 2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter2482 (Post 20590)
im going to be starting soon.... currently learning to weld.

welcome to the forum & enjoy your build,

peter2482 24th August 2009 05:59 AM

thanks andy, me and my mate are planning on building one each, so we can help each other out as we go along, he is the good welder, but i thought id better learn, i can do all the brackets, plates etc etc at works, having access to cnc folders, punches, plasma cutter etc.

david 24th August 2009 06:44 AM

Been building for about a year on and off now and got engine started in situ the weekend before last. was a very good and rewarding moment. starting uni in sept so really trying to get as much done before then. just the cash flow which slows things down :)

HandyAndy 24th August 2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david (Post 20716)
Been building for about a year on and off now and got engine started in situ the weekend before last. was a very good and rewarding moment. starting uni in sept so really trying to get as much done before then. just the cash flow which slows things down :)

nice one David, lets see some pics, its always nice to see other builders progress with their build, what engine are you using?
well done on getting the motor started for the first time, a very big milestone indeed.:cool:

HandyAndy 24th August 2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter2482 (Post 20715)
thanks andy, me and my mate are planning on building one each, so we can help each other out as we go along, he is the good welder, but i thought id better learn, i can do all the brackets, plates etc etc at works, having access to cnc folders, punches, plasma cutter etc.

sorry missed this post.

sounds like good team work, all the resources between the two of you :cool:

keep the forum posted with your progress.

HandyAndy 4th October 2009 08:19 PM

judging by the number of new builds recently started, can i ask anyone that hasn,t voted on this poll that has a build in progress/planned please cast your vote as its nice to keep this up to date,
over 70 Roadsters in progress is an amazing figure :cool:

lets hope we can get some of them together next year at Stoneleigh kit car show.

thanks
andy

gingea1pom 4th October 2009 08:31 PM

I have definatly started, I have an 8' x 4' sheet of MDF in the garage £115 worth of steel on order. Voted.

When and where is the next half decent kit car show? I am keen to have a close up look at build quality.

HandyAndy 4th October 2009 08:43 PM

i think the next main kit car show is at Exeter in november (sorry not sure of the date) & there will be a well known Roadster there ;) & no its not the one from the book.

cheers
andy

gingea1pom 4th October 2009 08:58 PM

Hell or high water I will be there with a camara.

Really hope to meet some of the forum members as well:D

londonsean69 4th October 2009 09:05 PM

Well, as people might have guessed by some of my recent psots, I have finally started my chassis build.

I spent a fair bit of time sorting out the garage, then I set about sourcing parts (no donor sat on drive allowed:rolleyes: )

I bought a big pile of decent tools, and some not so good tools.

The upshot of this is, in the past 2 weekends I have the chassis up to the point where I am about to fit a transmission tunnel (MT75), BUT, I have a full set of wishbones, refurbished diff, hubs etc. ready to bolt on.

I am sorting out a photobucket gallery as we speak, because it is helpful to other builders to see how people have accomplished things

Sean

HandyAndy 4th October 2009 09:05 PM

well i,m sure the builder/owner of the Roadster that will be there will post up the dates of the show , ;)

& i,m sure there will be other forum members at the show as there are alot of Roadster builders in the west country.:)

don,t forget the credit card, maybe thats bad advice :eek: :D

andy

HandyAndy 4th October 2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by londonsean69 (Post 22689)

in the past 2 weekends I have the chassis up to the point where I am about to fit a transmission tunnel (MT75), BUT, I have a full set of wishbones, refurbished diff, hubs etc. ready to bolt on.

I am sorting out a photobucket gallery as we speak, because it is helpful to other builders to see how people have accomplished things

Sean

nice one Sean, thats fast progress, well done,
look forward to your photos:cool:

andy

londonsean69 4th October 2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 22691)
nice one Sean, thats fast progress, well done,
look forward to your photos:cool:

andy

Cheers, it does help to have the tools (chop saw, lathe and a decent mig)

I've also, just this very minute, bought a plasma cutter!! I wish I had one before I arsed about cutting 5mm plate with a grinder:rolleyes:

Sean

HandyAndy 15th October 2009 09:50 PM

i,ve noticed that there are alot of new forum members so if anyone that has started or about to start their build & haven,t yet cast their vote to this thread then please do as its nice to keep this up to date as much as possible,
currently 77 being built is a fantastic number, lets see how long before we reach the 100 mark :cool:

cheers

spud69 15th October 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 23254)
i,ve noticed that there are alot of new forum members so if anyone that has started or about to start their build & haven,t yet cast their vote to this thread then please do as its nice to keep this up to date as much as possible,
currently 77 being built is a fantastic number, lets see how long before we reach the 100 mark :cool:

cheers

That's a fantastic number, Chris must be really chuffed...Lets hope the single seater is just as popular. I wonder how many builders there are out there that have not registered with the forum.

Now we all need to concentrate on getting all these cars IVA'd and on the road then we can all meet up for regional track days which are Haynes specific. Teesside do a full track day for upto 30 cars at £99 for the day, i'm sure it will happen eventually.

AndyH....:D

Rik178m 22nd October 2009 08:09 PM

What defines starting the build? I have stripped the donor/s and have almost finished the refurb of parts, made a load of the chassis plates and look to be buyin the chassis steel very soon. But does starting the build mean started the chassis?:D

Bonzo 22nd October 2009 08:25 PM

My build was started the day I bought the book :D

Just didn't let the wife know untill the steel arrived a few weeks later ;)

That was over 2 years ago now :o

A true Dreckly build :cool:

gingea1pom 22nd October 2009 08:28 PM

Rik,

You have definately started as you now own things that are for nothing other than a roadster.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers Ginge

Rik178m 22nd October 2009 09:02 PM

wooooooo adding myself to the club! Looks like I can finally make my self a build diary! :D :D :D Wheres the best place to host one?

aaaaaaaaaaand how awesome would a roadster race series be! I'd love to enter some kind of racing but its very expensive! Went to see the rallycross at mallory park last weekend and wow!

jiwillia 26th October 2009 03:12 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I've found the forum to be a goldmine of info and most helpfull! for which I thank all and sundry.

YES I have started my build with the chassis nearly finished, so please add me to the list.
Cheers
John

gingea1pom 26th October 2009 03:39 PM

John,

Firstly welcome and well done so far with the build, lets have some pictures.:)

I seem to remember you add your self to the poll.

Like I have said before I feel I should print the whole forum for reference.:p

Up date your profile so we can see where you are, unless you are doing a secret build of course.:D

Bonzo 26th October 2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiwillia (Post 23766)
Hi, this is my first post. I've found the forum to be a goldmine of info and most helpfull! for which I thank all and sundry.

YES I have started my build with the chassis nearly finished, so please add me to the list.
Cheers
John

Welcome to the forum John :)

Well done on your progress so far

Briliant news to see that we have another West country builder :cool:

Hey Chris, we'll soon have enough members for a Western Roadster club :D :D

tkpm 26th October 2009 06:46 PM

Hi John,
i'm not far from you in Bideford, welcome to the forum
It want be long before we can have a North Devon meet.

Talonmotorsport 26th October 2009 06:57 PM

After building chassises and wish bones for other people and finding enough space for my chassis to worked on without tripping over it, I can now say that I'm building MY roadster. It'll be 4 inches wider and 2 inches taller to fit the style of seat that I need. It'll be powered by a 1600 cvh with standard carb for the IVA then might be tuned up with a 285 cam and a set of dcoe 40's that I have been given, possible 2ltr ZVH but nothing set in stone.

mark 30th October 2009 12:48 PM

Whoever the 11 people are thinking about building just go for it!

It really is a great thing to get involved in and is not as complicated as you may think. There is lots and i mean LOTS of experienced people on this forum who are happy to offer advice and at the end of it all you will have the ultimate toy :D

I started my build in january and im still as enthused now as the day i started and the more progress you make the more it spurs you on to do more.

The only irritating thing is when you wake up at four in the morning thinking about ali fuel tanks and bike carbs :eek: :D

chrisunwin 3rd November 2009 06:38 PM

Hi All

Got the "Bible" for my birthday in August. (It helps when you tell them what you want).

Would love to say I am building the car, but I am not allowed to start untill I have finished doing the garage, which I cant do untill I finish the house.

So sometime next year, maybee. But DEFINATLY going to start, wanted to something from scratch ever since I built a kit car back in 1984 (What a pile of s******* that was... Avante if anyone wants to know).

The book is great, thanks Chris, and this forum is FAB.

Would love to join a club, and get a plaque for the car. (even if it is No231).

Thanks to all contributers.

Regards

Chris

Bonzo 3rd November 2009 06:45 PM

A warm welcome.

A very warm welcome to the forum Chris :)

There's nothing stopping you from starting to gather some of the bits you need ;)

Who knows what Santa may bring :D

Good luck with the build when you start :cool:

gingea1pom 3rd November 2009 06:57 PM

Chris,

Welcome. Finally someone who is in the next county and only an hour away.

I know you have not started yet but if you would like to pop over to talk about any thing roadster any time just give me a shout. I have a few weeks of (5) before Christmas.

I am 80% through my chassis build, excluding wishbones, and went to see AshGs almost finished roadster, we talked Roadster for two hours and it was great, really inspiring and a picked up loads of tips. Its good to talk

Any time mate.

Ginge

HandyAndy 3rd November 2009 09:38 PM

a warm welcome to the forum Chris, get the work done on the house double quick & you can then put your suggestions to family/friends for any bits you need for your build just in time for Santa,s visit ;) :D

best wishes for your build.

andy

Bonzo 1st December 2009 09:24 AM

Time for an update ??

I notice that we have had quite a few new builders joining the forum recently :cool:

Time for an update to the list per chance :)

Nice to keep this list up to date

I am sure that the great range of parts supplyers, we have within the forum, find this thread very usefull to gauge possible future demand for new products ;)

Perhaps this thread could be made a sticky ;)

georgenewman1 1st December 2009 06:33 PM

building one, started boxing day 2008, workied away for 8 months since then, now have a rolling chassis with a running 1.6 pinto on bike carbs. started from scratch and apatr from the shocks only spent about £200 so far including the donor, bodywork and wireing next, the worst jobs :cool:

graeme.webb1@ntlworld.com 17th December 2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgenewman1 (Post 26203)
building one, started boxing day 2008, workied away for 8 months since then, now have a rolling chassis with a running 1.6 pinto on bike carbs. started from scratch and apatr from the shocks only spent about £200 so far including the donor, bodywork and wireing next, the worst jobs :cool:

Started about 18 months ago but project stalled for quite a long while after a period of being unemployed. The joys of our times. Started working in a barn but have recently had to bring the car home and into my small garage.

Using a bmw 318 e36 as a donor - cheap and plentyful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thimp1/?saved=1

holdenchris 30th December 2009 09:53 PM

started building mine about two months ago will be using holden 3.8ltr v6 motor

chris

sr20clubbie 2nd January 2010 05:48 AM

HI All,

Paul from down under here,

I started building mine 5 months ago but I would
be lucky if I got 3 full days equiv per mth. I am using
a nissan sr20de n/a, cortina front uprights and nissan
pintara live axle and will ride on 17 in wheels.

Paul

p.s If I had access to all the parts that the UK guys
have I would be close to finishing. You guys are so
lucky.

AshG 2nd January 2010 09:41 AM

paul most of the bits we use from the sierra you can find on the p100 pickup out in oz and nz. especially the front uprights. hope that helps if you didnt already know

neilrob 2nd January 2010 10:28 AM

Another Builder

Invercargill 9810 N.Z.
Neil Robertson
neilrob@woosh.co.nz