Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AGM Sports Cars Body Kit (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8227)

martinl 30th June 2012 05:31 PM

AGM Sports Cars Body Kit

Hi guys

Found this website/supplier today while looking about for various parts
http://www.agmsportscars.co.uk/agm_s...cars_2_016.htm

Has anyone used 1 of their kits for either the roadster or the original Ron Champion Locost?

If so whats the quality of the product/service like?

Cheers Martin

michael92 1st July 2012 07:50 PM

cant say exactly what theyre like, i remember seeing them at stoneleigh, i was going to buy the steering cowl. looks goodenough :)

tazzy5918 11th September 2012 10:37 PM

Hy there

i've just received my nosecone and scuttle today and i am 90 % pleased of the quality.The price is fair (in my case i have paid more for shipping then for the parts...I m from Romania :) ).
I will post some pics asap.

SeriesLandy 12th September 2012 01:23 PM

MikeB has used AGM for his bodywork Link to his build thread!

MikeB 12th September 2012 03:21 PM

Service is good, I was impressed with the finish on the parts.
I'm doing battle with the side panels at the minute.
The pictures don't do the kit justice, it will look ace when finished.

CTWV50 9th July 2013 09:38 AM

I've used a Saturn/NTS nose cone and scuttle to use for engine and radiator clearance during my build. Anyone know if the AGM body kit is close in height dimensions to the Saturn stuff or can someone take some measurements for me?

Davidbolam 9th July 2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 91570)
I've used a Saturn/NTS nose cone and scuttle to use for engine and radiator clearance during my build. Anyone know if the AGM body kit is close in height dimensions to the Saturn stuff or can someone take some measurements for me?

Can you pm me you email address and I will send over their info sheet.

David

Davidbolam 9th July 2013 09:42 AM

Actually if you look at mike b's photo feed he has a copy in there

David

CTWV50 9th July 2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 91572)
Actually if you look at mike b's photo feed he has a copy in there

David

Oh yes, thank you David. Think I'm going to sell the bodywork I have and buy a full body kit from AGM. THought long and hard and I've never liked doing/been any good at bodywork!:D

Davidbolam 9th July 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 91573)
Oh yes, thank you David. Think I'm going to sell the bodywork I have and buy a full body kit from AGM. THought long and hard and I've never liked doing/been any good at bodywork!:D

I am probably going to go for their set as well as I like the way the edges have returns etc. They are also within easy travelling distance for me whereas equinox are a bit far away

David

CTWV50 9th July 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 91588)
I am probably going to go for their set as well as I like the way the edges have returns etc. They are also within easy travelling distance for me whereas equinox are a bit far away

David

Same here colchester(gillham) and Kent (equinox) just a bit far away!:eek:

Ben_Copeland 10th July 2013 06:27 AM

Don't be put off by distance. Equinox has a very good delivery company and its top quality bodywork. You won't get better!

jps 10th July 2013 11:23 AM

I'm really pleased with my Equinox bodywork - but collected at the advice of others just in case. I am in Essex - so the distance to AGM was one of the reasons I ruled them out and went with Equinox.

Although, somewhat ironically, AGM does I believe produce GRP for a chap in Essex who builds these: http://www.furorecars.co.uk/

I think if i'd been closer to Barnsley than Kent I would have gone with AGM myself...

mgglep 10th July 2013 08:50 PM

I bought grp from exinox it is extremely good quality

baz-r 13th July 2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 91570)

use a merc 190E rad it fits with loads of room

Ben_Copeland 13th July 2013 10:01 PM

Just for reference the Equinox bodykit is about an inch higher than Saturn/NTS so is great for taller engines and obviously normal engines too

MikeB 15th July 2013 05:45 PM

When I was looking I prefered the low line look of the AGM kit and I think its a similar height to the Saturn stuff. I did post a dimension sheet at one point not sure where it is though.

The Equinox stuff is higher so as Ben says is good for taller engines. I prefer the lower look but seeing Ben's car completed it looks pretty good to.

Ben_Copeland 15th July 2013 05:51 PM

Tbh I've mine up along side a Saturn bodywork. Apart from the equinox bodywork looking a million times better ;-) you wouldn't notice the height difference.

mgglep 15th July 2013 07:33 PM

I must admit I am using Saturn and equinox bodywork on the same car and while I thought Saturn provided an excellent service which I still stand by the equinox bodywork is much thicker and rigid
I can't speak about AGM although I think I saw them at a show once and I from memory the bodywork looked good

Ben_Copeland 15th July 2013 08:28 PM

That was my biggest problem with the saturn panels i had. Especially the back panel as it was so thin and flimsy i was worried it was going to crack the gel coat if you lent against it.

alga 20th August 2013 06:02 PM

I just received a pair of rear arches from AGM in traffic yellow. Wow. They are impeccable. The shiny surfaces are shiny. The inner side is neat and uniform (and sanded down). The edges are neatly trimmed. They don't feel flimsy at all, they are definitely more rigid than the NTS wings I had, and probably lighter. And the price is about 60% of what the competition asks for (85 quid for a pair rear arches vs. 150 at Equinox and 140 at Gillham).

Davidbolam 20th August 2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 92869)
I just received a pair of rear arches from AGM in traffic yellow. Wow. They are impeccable. The shiny surfaces are shiny. The inner side is neat and uniform (and sanded down). The edges are neatly trimmed. They don't feel flimsy at all, they are definitely more rigid than the NTS wings I had, and probably lighter. And the price is about 60% of what the competition asks for (85 quid for a pair rear arches vs. 150 at Equinox and 140 at Gillham).

Can you post some pics please Albert?

David

Johno 20th August 2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 92869)

Agree 100% with you on that one...:)
Don't be fooled by the price either, just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they are of poorer quality totally the opposite.:cool:
When we picked up our kits Alan told us he had made new moulds for the rear wings and Tony's were top notch...:cool:
The quality of the GRP is superb, as Alga said the inside is sanded down and edges are good.
Highly recommend AGM to anyone.

alga 25th August 2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 92874)
Can you post some pics please Albert?

Here you go, David.

On a closer look I found a couple imperfections. There is something like traces of a different color embedded in the gel coat in one of the arches, like a slight smudge of dirt you cannot wipe away. There are also some minor surface imperfections in one place. But they are not really visible, hard to photograph :-)

Here's the full gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1008810...s?noredirect=1

Davidbolam 31st August 2013 08:00 PM

They look really nice. I'm waiting for my kit to be made (hopefully will collect it on Friday).

Please could you tell me how long your arches are? I am doing my exhaust and want to make sure it don't make it too long.

Thanks

David

CTWV50 31st August 2013 08:21 PM

Collecting mine next week too! :D

Davidbolam 31st August 2013 08:33 PM

Are yours red?

CTWV50 31st August 2013 09:05 PM

They are, apparently mine are being cut from the molds Monday morning.

alga 31st August 2013 10:54 PM

My AGM arches are 795 mm between the inner lower corners. They seem to be exactly the same size as the Triton/Gillham ones. The fronts of my arches are 18 cm forward off the lower corner of the side panel.

Davidbolam 31st August 2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alga (Post 93256)
My AGM arches are 795 mm between the inner lower corners. They seem to be exactly the same size as the Triton/Gillham ones. The fronts of my arches are 18 cm forward off the lower corner of the side panel.

Thanks

David

Davidbolam 6th September 2013 08:04 PM

I collected my kit from agm today. Very helpful chap and the quality is really good. Now I just need to find somewhere to keep it and figure out how to fit it...

As soon as it stops raining I will post some pictures,

I also saw a nice red set that was in the process of being polished up which looked really nice.

David

CTWV50 6th September 2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 93396)
I collected my kit from agm today. Very helpful chap and the quality is really good. Now I just need to find somewhere to keep it and figure out how to fit it...

As soon as it stops raining I will post some pictures,

I also saw a nice red set that was in the process of being polished up which looked really nice.

David

COOL! :cool: They'll be mine then.:D collecting them tomorrow first thing. Keeping mine in the conservatory now the weathers turned.

Davidbolam 6th September 2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 93397)
COOL! :cool: They'll be mine then.:D collecting them tomorrow first thing. Keeping mine in the conservatory now the weathers turned.

Are you taking a car or a van. I've got a passat and just managed to get everything in with the seats down and no passengers.

Don't forget to take some old blankets!

David

CTWV50 6th September 2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 93398)
Are you taking a car or a van. I've got a passat and just managed to get everything in with the seats down and no passengers.

Don't forget to take some old blankets!

David

Car, Honda Civic in fact! I may be making two trips!:rolleyes: Thanks for the blanket tip. :)

Davidbolam 6th September 2013 10:26 PM

I forgot the blankets so had to use some of Alan's bubble wrap.

Here is a photo of mine...... It's a bit orange!! With black cycle wings

TheArf 7th September 2013 08:36 AM

It's very orange, tangoed

Arfon

CTWV50 7th September 2013 02:23 PM

Just got back home with mine. Have to say I'm very very pleased with them. . Also Alan is very easy to talk to friendly and helpful. We were talking about how messy glass fibre work is and he mention that "....you get used to it after 30 years". Those 30 years certainly show in his workmanship. The panels all feel very strong yet light, all the edges are cut neatly and finished well, infact he cut out the grills top and bottom on the nose cone while I waited. There's a deep shine to them too, which is nice. Probably my best buying experience to date. Will post pics ASAP.

CTWV50 7th September 2013 04:42 PM

CTWV50 7th September 2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 93405)
I forgot the blankets so had to use some of Alan's bubble wrap.

Here is a photo of mine...... It's a bit orange!! With black cycle wings

Looks good, wish my car was at the same point as yours so I could see how they look. My chassis is currently upside down while I sort out the fuel and brake pipes. They are quality panels aren't they!:)

K4KEV 7th September 2013 05:53 PM

They look really well Chris... very nice finish indeed.