Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Indicators (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13014)

Davidbolam 28th October 2013 10:40 AM

Indicators

I am looking at buying some indicators for the nosecone and was wondering how everyone has managed to get the indicators far enough apart to pass the iva test.

If I put side repeaters on the scuttle, one on each side of the nosecone and the 2 at the rear, will this satisfy the IVA rules. I have tried to get to grips with this but it all seems double dutch!!.

Thanks

David

jps 28th October 2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 94267)
I am looking at buying some indicators for the nosecone and was wondering how everyone has managed to get the indicators far enough apart to pass the iva test.

If I put side repeaters on the scuttle, one on each side of the nosecone and the 2 at the rear, will this satisfy the IVA rules. I have tried to get to grips with this but it all seems double dutch!!.

Thanks

David

Apparently some IVA inspectors won't accept scuttle mounted - so people have put them on the outside of the rear arches - although some people are getting through with scuttle mounted ones...

I think this is a bit of a daft problem - my understanding is that from the required angle and height you cannot view the scuttle mounted ones - but the thing that is blocking your view is the back of the rear arch - which has an indicator mounted on it!!!

There's a handy pic somewhere from Westfield that shows the relevant dimensions etc quite clearly- there's one of the shots on this blog: http://albenwood.blogspot.co.uk/

And in this thread on Locostbuilders http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...php?tid=155913

skov 28th October 2013 04:01 PM

Daft or not, if you put your side repeaters on the scuttle there's a very good chance you'll fail... :(

They really need to go on the front or rear wings to guarantee a pass.
If you go for mounting them on the rear wings you need to be careful where you position them. They need to be at least 350mm high and within 2.6m of the front of the vehicle.

Davidbolam 28th October 2013 04:09 PM

thanks for the replies...

now for the next silly question...

how many indicators will I need on my car for the relay not to click too fast. Im not planning to use and LED's and start installing resistors.

Will there be enough resistance with the 2 front, 2 rear and 2 side. Im not fully sure how many the MX5 had.

David

Stot 28th October 2013 05:07 PM

That is how many the MX5 had so assuming regular bulbs you should get a regular flashing pattern.

Cheers
Stot

skov 28th October 2013 07:12 PM

If you find they do flash too fast there's a simple mod you can do to the MX5 flasher unit to fix it.

Davidbolam 28th October 2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 94273)
If you find they do flash too fast there's a simple mod you can do to the MX5 flasher unit to fix it.

I've just been looking at how you did the front indicators as well have you used metal tube or plastic?

David

skov 28th October 2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 94274)
I've just been looking at how you did the front indicators as well have you used metal tube or plastic?

David

I used a metal tube (from an old bed frame!), and welded a nut in each end to screw the indicators into.

flyerncle 4th November 2013 02:42 PM

Seen them fixed under the headlamp on Haynes previously,dont know if pre IVA or after.

Davidbolam 4th November 2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 94351)
Seen them fixed under the headlamp on Haynes previously,dont know if pre IVA or after.

I think I may go for the same style as a caterham with the pods (available from bolt on bits). I was also going to put a small indicator on the wing. I really want to change the wings once its iva'd so I may loose them then.

David

SeriesLandy 5th November 2013 01:47 PM

The caterham style pods are what I'm planning on doing. I bought some from a company called carbon cactus. They are great quality and really light.
I've got defender clear indicator pods on them.
The pods also fit over the book size headlight stalks.

If for iva they do not meet the 45 deg (obscured by the nose cone). Someone on LB moved then forward using down pipe.

pics

MikeB 6th November 2013 01:12 PM

I've got a pair of the caterham pods knocking around somewhere.
Could be a nice cimple IVA solution.
Have you got any pics of the pods installed in a IVA friendly position?

Also where did you get your dominator lights from, are they IVA compatible and can they still mount in teh standard way (~14mm bolt hole?)

Thanks

Mike

SeriesLandy 6th November 2013 01:58 PM

Fitting the pods is my job for tonight mike. The dominators are either about 8 or 10mm but are imperial. So I've sprayed a penny washer black so it fits in with the carbon pods. The dominators came from ashg but are about £30 a side from furore on eBay.
I'll take some pics when I've fitted them.

With regard to the iva postition. It says this in the manuall on p177:

Where the front indicator lamp is positioned less than 750mm from the ground the inward angle of visibility may be reduced to 20deg when viewed between the vertical angles of visibility shown in Figure 2 ‘a’

I'm sure they sit lower than this so I don't really see them being a problem at iva. I'm sure the tester won't agree but still.

SeriesLandy 6th November 2013 09:53 PM

I managed to mount the carbon pods tonight as you can see here
I'm not too sure about the angles but to see them at 45deg they need to be moved 100mm forwards, to be seen at 20deg they stay where they are. I also too some pics of that.
HTH

ayjay 6th November 2013 10:23 PM

Looks good.:)
Make sure they are less than 400mm from the extreme outer edges .

baz-r 10th November 2013 07:51 PM

thay are hot on viewable angles of all lights on a iva so make sure you can comply

repeaters will need to be on the widest part of your car so its the edge of front or rear arch mounting realy or your arches will be in the way

only problem i can see with under headlight mounts for your front indicators would be if the beem is obscured by the nose or wheel at the outer angles of view.

SeriesLandy 10th November 2013 09:21 PM

The front under headlamp indicators are fine for the inward angle but not for the outward (80deg) they need moving forward (mine 100mm)