Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   new haynes MX5 scratch build (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

chris_smith 10th September 2016 09:53 PM

new haynes MX5 scratch build

Hi All, having built and then quickly sold a locost from Rons book several years ago, I have now began a new build.

Haynes MX5 running gear

already purchased/acquired

Mx5 engine 1.8
MX5 gearbox
MX5 diff
MX5 steering column wheel and stalks
MX5 drive shafts
Ford steering rack
nose/scuttle/bonnet/rear panel/arches/wings

having put together a build table the other week, I have started today putting the chassis together, progress shown below -

Rosco 11th September 2016 07:42 AM

Looking good, so good when your first start, one thing to check is the board is square, just measure corner to corner

garyt 11th September 2016 08:39 AM

welcome and great to see another mx5 build good luck and keep the pictures coming :)

metal matt 11th September 2016 09:38 AM

Welcome aboard. I must say I had grate pleasure in building mine from scratch. I think it makes it that little bit more personal to your ideas.

chris_smith 11th September 2016 05:42 PM

day 2 -

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

vmax1974 11th September 2016 06:30 PM

Looking good what plans are you following talon or saturn

chris_smith 11th September 2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 104323)
Looking good what plans are you following talon or saturn

Hi Vmax,

dont have Talons plans although he has dropped me an email with some details so im looking at utilising his info and the saturn plans as a mix

twinturbo 11th September 2016 09:59 PM

Is that a MK2, looks too close to the wall to be an s-type. Looks nice :)

TT

twinturbo 11th September 2016 10:00 PM

Imp California?

TT

chris_smith 11th September 2016 10:35 PM

Fully restored jag mk2 with xjs eng/running gear (I think) dads project, been at it for over a decade, was basically a rust bucket when we picked it up

chris_smith 18th September 2016 06:24 PM

more progress this weekend few hours done today and yesterday but it looks like a chassis now !

vmax1974 18th September 2016 06:39 PM

Looking good but check the position of the uprights that make the start of the trans tunnel

garyt 18th September 2016 07:11 PM

yes as vmax said the 2 central uprights are wrong at the bulkhead location, where you have them does not leave enough room for the pedal box
but good progress though

chris_smith 18th September 2016 07:15 PM

thanks vmax and gary, ill check in the morning, is the book incorrect for the location? pretty sure i followed it correctly?

garyt 18th September 2016 07:24 PM

hi, I lent my book to a friend so cant check the book but I know a few folks have done the same, thinking it lines up with the engine bay ones, if you want I can pop out and measure mine for you

chris_smith 18th September 2016 07:35 PM

Thanks garyt a measurement would be a great help but don't put yourself out, just the next time your near the car, I'll not be back working on it till next weekend
Much appreciated
Chris

garyt 18th September 2016 07:37 PM

hi Chris just popped out and measured mine
measuring from the outside edge of the outer upright to the trans tunnel edge of the inner one is
driver side 305mm
passenger side 245mm
hope that helps and makes sense
Gary

vmax1974 18th September 2016 07:43 PM

And right there is the benifit of a build thread and lots of photos

garyt 18th September 2016 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
haha don't worry I don't need any excuse to go and fiddle with her and its no problem at all indeed if there is anything you need me to check just shout
I have added a picture that shows mine
point 1 your pass side may be correct and if you did that first and then mirrored it , that could be where the confusion came from
point 2 do NOT put the steering colum bracket on the bulkhead as per the photo that is for a sierra one and if using an mx5 one just follow the Saturn plans for that bit
hth Gary

chris_smith 18th September 2016 08:09 PM

thats great Garyt thanks very much, at least now I know what im doing first thing saturday lol :D

Vmax - you're right its great for the feedback and pointers

garyt 20th September 2016 07:33 PM

oh and while I am on a roll here delving through my build pics one thing that my iva tester said he would liked a bit better was the lower seat belt mounts I did them as per the book , he said a couple of webs across the tube on each end of the plate would have been better nut he was still happy and passed them.
take loads of pics along the way of unaccesabile areas , I have heaps of them lol they will be needed later on .

chris_smith 20th September 2016 08:14 PM

thanks garyt ill bear that in mind

flyerncle 22nd September 2016 09:46 AM

I did that,make the plate longer and fold ends and add more weld.

chris_smith 24th September 2016 06:20 PM

hi everyone, so another weekend has arrived, I started by moving the upright as per previous posts.

then added all the diagonals.

I then had the tedious task of removing the diff bolts that hold the PFF on, my word that took for ever with a lot of help from "Harry Hot Spanner":eek:

then set about the rear diff cage

garyt 24th September 2016 06:37 PM

that's good progress your making there, keep up the good work and yes there are a few stubborn bolts to get through :)

chris_smith 2nd October 2016 06:46 PM

more progress over last couple of days -

didnt have any 3mm plate for rear shock top assembly, so I put together my own using what I had lying around, will be a little bit more substantial :p

tunnel literally finished too

chris_smith 2nd October 2016 06:47 PM

garyt 2nd October 2016 08:34 PM

Great to see you getting on , good work

chris_smith 15th October 2016 07:28 PM

spent a few hours today fully welding the chassis, still have the rear panel supports to sort but need my rear panel to do that effectively, so set about sorting the steering column -

garyt 16th October 2016 07:14 PM

Great to see some more done something to think about now as well is what are you doing re the roll bar? More specifically the rear braces I copied a previous idea and put 2 wishbone brackets on the back edge of the diff mount plates pictures in my build or I can post them if you want to look. Others have taken them down to the rear corners at the bottom of the rear panel
Anyway great work keep going

chris_smith 16th October 2016 08:12 PM

thanks Gary, ill be working on that once I pick up the rear panel and can configure the back proper. in the mean time as I was sorting out the steering rack and column route, I had to drop the engine in so have been sorting mountings today

garyt 17th October 2016 11:32 AM

once that lot is lined up you will find the steering extension is really close to the alternator and I had to relieve the plenum support to clear it.
I see you went hi tech in your engine support a steel bar ... I used a length of oak from work lol. it works and saves a lot of faffing with a jack
It definitely feels good to see the engine in even if only temporarily oh make sure your engine is far enough forward to get full operation on the clutch release arm (sorry Steve)

chris_smith 4th December 2016 07:26 PM

been a few weeks since i posted anything however I have been in the garage working away,

I already had a diff, engine and box, when i started my build as id found/picked them up cheap, but as the chassis was progressing I started searching for other parts required and found that to buy uprights, discs, calipers etc would be as much if not more than finding an actual full car!

so thats what I did for a measly £200 -

I then progressed in stripping everything -

unwanted parts are listed or being prepared for listing on the Bay :)

chris_smith 4th December 2016 07:28 PM

I then started to clean up and sort out the uprights, electrolysis was fantastic, and built a small blast cabinet and here are the uprights after painting in POR15 drying with the heat lamps -

and then moved to the diff before -

and after, will be fully painted once finished -

I have also finished making and painting the wishbones but forgot to take pics :mad:

rolsty 4th December 2016 10:05 PM

Looking really good :)
Can I ask if you've got a part number for the steering column bearing ?
I've ordered the part number that seems commonly listed but it doesn't tilt ?
Hope you don't mind me asking but I've come to a stop with that bit !

chris_smith 4th December 2016 10:21 PM

rolsty the bearing is UCFL205

link here to the one i bought from ebay, I did have to pump some grease into it, and it was pretty stiff to get it to move to the right tilt, but it will if you have the right one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322216948550?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

rolsty 4th December 2016 10:45 PM

Thanks - ordered it and will grease it first !
Thanks again for the help

chris_smith 21st December 2016 07:29 PM

more work completed - she now has grown legs and arms :p

also ordered some bodywork from Vmax today

twinturbo 21st December 2016 11:44 PM

seems like a lifetime since I was at that stage... Roll on 2017 and perhaps some progress.

garyt 22nd December 2016 06:23 PM

Great progress wish i had tried the electrolysis that's really come up well keep up the good work