Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   SSC - GRP Clearout (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7039)

spud69 4th September 2011 01:15 PM

SSC - GRP Clearout

1 Attachment(s)
Well it's finally come to the stage where we have been hoarding grp seconds for the last 2 years and decided to have a good clear-out. Not realising just how much there was up top it would have been a crime to just throw it all away. Knowing that many builders are on a tight budget and these items will certainly help to keep you on budget but will need some work, not a great deal, to tidy them up a bit. This is just for forum members for a week or so, after that i'll put them out on Locost and elsewhere.

I have attached a pdf listing all the items available and also a brief description of work required for each plus a price and postage. I have also put pics of each item on my flickr account with a link below, some bits still have white resin powder on them which will just brush off. I have tried to reflect the amount of work required to the price and are half price or less.

All payments need to be made via PayPal to andrew@saturnsportscars.co.uk with it clear in the comments box of which item ref code you want plus delivery cost (only select one delivery cost per order, 2 or 3 items - if ordering 4 to 5 add £30, for a full set add £95 as these are expensive). I will keep the pdf upto date to try and avoid duplicate orders, if there is a duplicate i'll select the next similar piece if there is one.

All the best EveryOne.........Andrew

Links below:

Flickr Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saturns...7627465453785/

Saturn Stores, compare prices:

http://www.saturnsportscars.co.uk/st...iewCat&catId=9

PDF List:

twinturbo 4th September 2011 01:27 PM

Ill Take the difuser :)

Quote:

Not realising just how much there was up top
Over egging you mental abilities are we!!!

TT

skov 4th September 2011 01:50 PM

2FW and 1B for me please!

james3004 4th September 2011 02:35 PM

I'll have 3SC Please :)

rpjg1975 4th September 2011 03:49 PM

It's no wonder Saturn continue to thrive andrew. Sure many companies wouldn't do such things as this and would wait for people to come to them and pay full prices

Pm sent. Wanting 8b, 3fr and 14rw please.

Payment sent through paypal

Cheers
Russ

maxubar 4th September 2011 05:58 PM

Hi.

How much postage to send to Portugal 2B 8RW 4N and 4SC?

Thanks
Tiago

baz-r 4th September 2011 06:36 PM

pm sent :)

pradaloup 4th September 2011 07:05 PM

hello
I am interested in
the bonnet and scuttle
t is it possible to pay by paypal
and the poster for France and what price to all
thank you didier

K4KEV 4th September 2011 07:39 PM

Tha's ganna be flush after shifting that lot Andy....nice one bud... many manufacturers destroy their seconds which I have always thought is crazy....wudev had the diffuser but that bluddy TT is way to sharp.

cornishmaid 4th September 2011 08:17 PM

That is rather a lot of seconds!

Bonzo 4th September 2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornishmaid (Post 64040)
That is rather a lot of seconds!

Not that many ??? Mark ???

I guess with the with sheer amount of stuff that Saturn produces combined with Saturns quality control policy, it's inevitable that some seconds will be produced.

One thing for sure, it will do some builders a good turn :) :cool:

bz100 4th September 2011 08:31 PM

Hi Andrew,

What would the postage be to send 3RW, 5FW, 7N and 4SC to Portugal?

Wgroove 4th September 2011 08:38 PM

Hello Andrew,
4B
1RP
1SP

Postage to Belgium please !

Regards,

Wim

Jimmyd 4th September 2011 08:42 PM

4n for me please. In the middle of the Irish sea just now pay for it tomorrow

Bonzo 4th September 2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyd (Post 64048)
5n for me please. In the middle of the Irish sea just now pay for it tomorrow

I hope you are in a boat Jimmy :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist :o :o

voodoo 4th September 2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 64045)

I have to agree with that Ronnie! :)

Matt

Jimmyd 5th September 2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 64049)
I hope you are in a boat Jimmy :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist :o :o

I was thanks!! Decided to take a day trip to Scotland on the bike. Really good day, several hundred miles later coming back into Stranraer rattle, rattle, bang, bang, cam chain tensioner broke. Was really lucky to coast to the boat and be able to push it on. I think there has been some piston/valve contact, bummer. Then along comes Andys great offer and brightens my day again!!

Andy pm you in a minute.

J

spud69 5th September 2011 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just trying to keep up,

Postage to Portugal for the items in the few inquiries there would be £100 with Interparcel due to their size.

Inbox keep filling up so if builders don't mind sending e-mails for inquiries it would make it easier please - andrew@saturnsportscars.co.uk

I have attached an updated pdf with a lot more about to go, i'll keep it up to date as best i can.

Kevin, i've got an S2000 engine and loom to pay for.......;)

I would guess about 10% of all parts made are seconds but it soon builds up over 2 years - i couldn't stand to destroy them.

Many Thanks.....Andrew

spud69 5th September 2011 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Updated List:

mark 5th September 2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 64045)
Not that many ??? Mark ???

I guess with the with sheer amount of stuff that Saturn produces combined with Saturns quality control policy, it's inevitable that some seconds will be produced.

Very true on quality, i purchased a diffuser and it had a tiny mark on it, he wouldnt let me have it and made a new one which was totally faultless

I wish whoever made my fibreglass seats had as much attention to detail, the gel is cracking where the matting behind wasnt stuck to it properly :(

spud69 5th September 2011 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Updated PDF.

monsterob 5th September 2011 06:27 PM

cheers spud see you saturday :D

PorkChop 5th September 2011 09:09 PM

Bits bought, me skint now :D

gaz05 5th September 2011 10:24 PM

Whats the best way to paint these and would it be durable?

PorkChop 5th September 2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz05 (Post 64117)
Whats the best way to paint these and would it be durable?

Like any other car TBH. The only difference would be the primer.

MarkB 6th September 2011 09:06 AM

You need specific primer for grp then quality paint so to do a 7 you are perhaps looking at £200 worth of paint then the elbow grease and somewhere to paint it properly as need warmth, having it done by a paint shop would cost more than a new set of panels.

spud69 6th September 2011 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gaz,

We have a body shop in the unit opposite us and we have had a few pieces sprayed in the past where builders have wanted colors not available in the normal RAL range, pearl colours mainly. They have turned out really good by etching the gel with 800g grit then a few thin layers of colored base coat and lacquered over the top. They have come out very nice but its all in preparation and cleanliness to get a professional finish.

Updated list below:

Bonzo 6th September 2011 12:56 PM

Wide scoop bonnet for me

Hi Andy

You can put me down for a wide scoop bonnet please, not fussed which one :)

I think the wide scoop will be an ideal compliment to my Redtop engine & will resolve a few clearance issues that I have.

Email me the payment details & I'll sort it pronto.

I have painted a fair bit of GRP over the years, mainly boats & aftermarket car body kits.
Never had a problem obtaining a good, long lasting finish.

Any decent paint shop will be more than happy to advise on the correct paint system to use on GRP ;) :)

spud69 6th September 2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 64136)
Hi Andy

You can put me down for a wide scoop bonnet please, not fussed which one :)

I think the wide scoop will be an ideal compliment to my Redtop engine & will resolve a few clearance issues that I have.

Email me the payment details & I'll sort it pronto.

I have painted a fair bit of GRP over the years, mainly boats & aftermarket car body kits.
Never had a problem obtaining a good, long lasting finish.

Any decent paint shop will be more than happy to advise on the correct paint system to use on GRP ;) :)

No problem Ronnie - you can collect it on Saturday.....;)

MarkB 6th September 2011 01:23 PM

Painted a few grp bodied cars over the years and I found it easier than messing with normal cars but prep is the key to it all and working clean. Pretty much the same applies to doing grp anyway to avoid problems.

skov 6th September 2011 02:06 PM

Blimey Spud, that was quick - Just received my bonnet and front wings :D
Many thanks!

spud69 6th September 2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 64148)
Blimey Spud, that was quick - Just received my bonnet and front wings :D
Many thanks!

That's good thanks John. I have a good dogs body here that does all the jobs i dont want to do, and he doesn't do computers so he wont see this.

Still looking for suitable ball joints, somebody else has come back to me now saying that their uprights are too tight for the transit drag links which is okay as these can be reamed but it seems there are different versions for the Mk1

Cheers.....AndyH

davylock 6th September 2011 03:17 PM

GRP Clearout

Payment sent, you have email, thanks Andrew, Dave.

spud69 6th September 2011 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it thanks Dave. Missed collections today but will go out tomorrow.

Updated list:

shh120m 6th September 2011 06:57 PM

Andy,
Can you save me a set of rear arches for saturday if you have any left plz mate?
(cant open pdf on this computer)

james3004 6th September 2011 07:10 PM

Mine Scuttle arrived today too cheers Andy, Far better quality than I expected!!!:)

What is the best filler to fill the imperfections?

Wynand 7th September 2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james3004 (Post 64166)

Filler paste made from Micro balloons and general purpose resin. Very light and sands very easily. But any grp fix is only as good as its surface preparation...
Btw, seen some guys use automotive body filler for whats its worth.

MarkB 7th September 2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james3004 (Post 64166)
Mine Scuttle arrived today too cheers Andy, Far better quality than I expected!!!:)

You can either use gel coat with a wax solution(flowcoat) or resin as a filler and if you pigment it the same colour it will be all but hidden and no need to paint.

spud69 7th September 2011 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're going to paint them then for the size of the repairs to fill then just standard, "Easy One", will so the job just fine.

AndyH

Updated list:

Bonzo 7th September 2011 07:35 PM

Well done Saturn

Blooming heck Andy

The courrier turned up with my bonnet at 2.30 this afternoon, that's less than 24hrs between payment & delivery :eek:

Very pleased with the bonnet, other than a couple of small chips to the gel it's almost perfect :)

Soon have that sorted.

Best news, the wide scoop clears the Redtop engine a treat :cool:

I can position & fabricate the gearbox mounts, then organise the propshaft with D&F now that I know what length it will be.

Thanks Andy, fantastic service as usual :)