Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stot 5th March 2013 08:59 PM

Hmmm. Difficult to change the pivot points at this end, may be easier to change it at the throttle body.

How much would you say it is out? Is there say twice as much travel as you would expect?

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 5th March 2013 09:33 PM

I would say twice as much. It may be ok if you don't put any grip tape on the peddle as you can slide your foot forwards and let it slip under your foot. I've got grip tape on mine and it feels really awkward. (If that makes sense).

Stot 6th March 2013 09:24 AM

I cant really change the pivot distances at the pedal theres just not the space, so I guess there are 2 options

Turn a smaller pulley for the throttle body.
Put a pulley on the bottom of the pedal and loop the cable back to the backplate. This will create twice the cable pull for the same pedal travel. I would need to use a longer cable but they are cheap enough.

I think option 1 is easier.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 6th March 2013 11:27 AM

Heres how the throttle body pulley can be modified.

This would give 1/2 the pedal travel to WOT and really simple to turn one up on the lathe.

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 6th March 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 88909)
I cant really change the pivot distances at the pedal theres just not the space, so I guess there are 2 options

Turn a smaller pulley for the throttle body.
Put a pulley on the bottom of the pedal and loop the cable back to the backplate. This will create twice the cable pull for the same pedal travel. I would need to use a longer cable but they are cheap enough.

I think option 1 is easier.

Cheers
Stot

Not sure about the mathematics on that one:confused:

Stot 6th March 2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayjay (Post 88913)
Not sure about the mathematics on that one:confused:

Every 1cm of movement of the pulley the cable is wrapped around would require the cable at the top of the pulley to be 1cm longer and the cable at the bottom of the pulley to be 1cm longer, so 2cm of cable total. As the cable is attached to the back plate at the bottom the 2cm required has to come from the top by pulling on the throttle.

I think the TB linkage is a better idea though. :D

Cheers
Stot

ayjay 6th March 2013 02:42 PM

Yep --got it .Old age creeping in:rolleyes:

Talonmotorsport 6th March 2013 03:50 PM

Have you considered making a bell crank which would give you you a 2:1 or 1:2 ratio?

Stot 6th March 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 88922)
Have you considered making a bell crank which would give you you a 2:1 or 1:2 ratio?

That would work but it would need a more complicated linkage and bracketry along the way as well as extra cables or control rods.

I'll give the TB pulley/linkage a go first,its a 10 min job on the lathe and mill.

Cheers
Stot

Johno 6th March 2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 88901)
Both skov and myself noticed on he mx5 the accelerator pedal moves a long way. It might be an idea before its installed to see if it can be modified in some way.

Hi,
Didn't Skov say that Nathan supplied him with the wrong pedal and this is what caused the long travel? Not quite sure now....