Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Starting another build thread! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12934)

Johno 8th September 2013 12:57 PM

Welcome aboard..:)
Another one to add to the MX5 club.
Sounds like you're off to a good start.

TheArf 8th September 2013 07:18 PM

Welcome to the house of fun, good to see vmaxs hard work being progressed, thats some garage you have there to have your donor and build chassis side by side

Arfon

Cropper 27th September 2013 08:56 PM

Refurb work started

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Been stripping the donor recently, soon be ready to lift the body off, when time allows. I set myself an electrolysis tank up in my garden shed(out of the way) & started feeding through my brake calipers, anyway a week later & I had all parts cleaned & ready for paint, with very little work from me, apart from putting things in & out of the bath & a quick wire brush. All parts are now painted, see pictures. That's about all for now, time is limited due to impending wedding & trying to move future in laws from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed apartment! so far 1 skip & 4 car & trailer trips with full car & 8x4 trailer full. We are on first name terms at charity shop & tip!

Cropper 21st October 2013 09:28 PM

Engine Position

Hi All

Just managed to place the engine & gearbox in the chassis, to see what it looks like. I have got a good position for height 40mm below chassis rail & how far back to sit it, but was wondering what the consensus was over positioning around the centre line, there seems to be a few different ideas out there.
I have a Saturn based chassis with a 1.8 MX5 motor. I want to avoid power bulges on the bonnet!

Thanks
Neil

Davidbolam 21st October 2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cropper (Post 94149)
Hi All

Just managed to place the engine & gearbox in the chassis, to see what it looks like. I have got a good position for height 40mm below chassis rail & how far back to sit it, but was wondering what the consensus was over positioning around the centre line, there seems to be a few different ideas out there.
I have a Saturn based chassis with a 1.8 MX5 motor. I want to avoid power bulges on the bonnet!

Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil,

If you are using the 1.8 engine this will fit with it place directly down the centreline. i'm using a 1.6 engine and have it slightly towards the nearside which means there is a little bit more room for the clutch slave cylinder to work.

David

Cropper 11th October 2015 07:48 PM

Sorry it's been a long time since I posted but thanks to the info already on here I have just been bee earring away for the last 2 years. Thought it was about time I posted some photo's since it's nearly finished. Have a look at the pictures. Thanks Neil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/136904711@N05/55YHa0

Badger 11th October 2015 10:47 PM

Looking bloody good there :)

Ianr 12th October 2015 10:05 AM

Looks brilliant, like your seats, they look the same as mine which came from a Renault Scenic :)

Cropper 12th October 2015 12:21 PM

Yes, they are the centre rear seat from a mk 1 Scenic, 1 cost £10, the other was extorniate at £30!

voucht 12th October 2015 03:22 PM

Hi,

Your car looks awesome !

Are you sure the 90° elbow between your filler neck and the fuel tank is fuel resistant? It looks like a cooling (water) silicone elbow to me, but I might be mistaken as I can't see the internal layer. Fuel resistant silicone hoses/elbows have a fluoro-silicone layer inside (usually brick orange-red colour).
However, with the fumes in the fuel tank compartment, the outside layer of silicone will certainly not last forever, and I would rather go directly for a 100% Nitrile elbow like this one, which are specifically designed for filling circuits.

But it is just my humble opinion :p

Anyway, congratulations for the car!