Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Need help on mounting battery so IVA friendly.... (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13834)

Eternal 29th February 2016 03:06 PM

Need help on mounting battery so IVA friendly....

Hi all. I have got a nice small battery now that's perfect for what I need it to do. I want to try and mount it into the passengers foot well but need to make sure its IVA friendly. I don't want to drill/rivet through the floor but can weld tabs on if needed but could really do with some ideas on the best way to mount it so its good for the IVA test and also not going to get knocked around too much my passengers.

TheArf 29th February 2016 04:56 PM

I've been looking at that as well today with the lecturer that is doing all of my electricery, and we have decided up to now that it is going in the back end of the car, but that's not a fixed idea yet.

Arfon

TalonMotorFabrication 29th February 2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheArf (Post 103082)
I've been looking at that as well today with the lecturer that is doing all of my electricery, and we have decided up to now that it is going in the back end of the car, but that's not a fixed idea yet.

Arfon

So let me get this correct in my own mind so I don't get this confused. You are considering putting the main thing that creates 300+ cranking amps of 12v power in the same compartment as the item that holds and freely vents petrol vapour....carry on son.

flyerncle 1st March 2016 09:04 AM

Four pieces of angle to hold it in place and strap over the top to secure, foot rest in front of it to stop passenger pushing over or make foot rest the battery holder,dont forget nice thick grommets over cables and mark earth cable,also cover terminals.

As for placing battery in boot,the cable would cost more than the car to buy,look at BMW bat cables about, 13 mm thick to counter volt drop over the distance of the cable

The V8 Files 1st March 2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 103091)
As for placing battery in boot,the cable would cost more than the car to buy,look at BMW bat cables about, 13 mm thick to counter volt drop over the distance of the cable

Its a good job I kept my one out of my donor then to keep that option open :D

TheArf 2nd March 2016 08:41 AM

Phil, when you are my age or older then you can call me son, have you never thought of boxing in the area above the diff and mounting it in there, and have you never looked in the rear of a 3 series BMW that just happens to have the battery in the boot.
Hay man keep grounding out that workshop of yours, in my humble opinion, that's about the best thing you will ever manage to complete successfully

kindest regards

Arfon

flyerncle 2nd March 2016 10:19 AM

Very acidic comment given the battery content of this post.....:p

TheArf 2nd March 2016 01:02 PM

That is me being reserved, anyone that knows me would tell that is pretty mild.

Arfon

RichardH 2nd March 2016 02:57 PM

if thebattery is in the footwell i think it needs to be in a battery box. i am putting mine in the back left hand corner of the chassis. same as where it fitted in a mx5

flyerncle 2nd March 2016 03:22 PM

Would be sensible to do so in my humble opinion,these days batterys dont seem to leak acid like they used to due to new things in use to produce eletrickery