Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stots Build Thread (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

SeriesLandy 4th June 2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 97249)
I'm hopefully going to send mine off soon. Which forms do you need to complete and where so you get them from?

David

It's also worth applying for the v55/5 form online as it takes 2 weeks to arrive and you can't just print it off.

Stot 5th June 2014 08:50 PM

Heres a few current pics. If you spot anything suspect let me know!

Stot 5th June 2014 08:51 PM

Cheers
Stot

K4KEV 6th June 2014 12:05 AM

looks pretty much the dogs John.....does not look like there are any issues re the photo's but when mr iva gets started you will never know until the large mama sings:D

Enoch 6th June 2014 05:46 AM

Absolutely stunning:)
Only thing I can think of - does the handbrake need adjusting? It looks like it comes up quite high. When I sva'd my Robin Hood I got a failure point because the handbrake came up to near the end of it's travel or some similar wording. I had to adjust it so it only came up 3 clicks of the ratchet. the exhaust clamp may be an issue as well. Cant see from the photo but it looks like there may be a sharp edge on it. You would get away with it if it was below the level of the floor but it could be an issue where it is. If the bolt is hex headed and it can be done up by a spanner just rotate it so the adjuster bit is between the pipe and the body so they can't touch it with the test sphere. Hope that makes sense - it's early!
Best of luck with it, you have built something quite remarkable there, it's quite an inspiration.
Dave.

Stot 6th June 2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K4KEV (Post 97289)
looks pretty much the dogs John.....does not look like there are any issues re the photo's but when mr iva gets started you will never know until the large mama sings:D

Cor its been that long since I posted you forgot my name Kev! :D

Cheers
Andy

flyerncle 6th June 2014 08:39 AM

Cracking job,interesting idea with front indicators saw the same idea but with low profile lamps at Stoneleigh.

K4KEV 6th June 2014 09:21 AM

Ooooops soz Andy....I am lousy at remembering names, anyways you have used some nifty techniques in your build... now that kind of thing always sticks in my mind, looking forward to the next chapter ANDY:D :D

Stot 6th June 2014 09:23 AM

Cheers guys,

The handbrake is only about 1/3-1/2 full travel. I have tried to make a new cable for it but mild steel weld blob on a stainless cable just breaks off when you put handbrake type pressure on it. Some argon and SS wire should do it though.

With the indicators they fit the style ive gone for, and when I fit clams after IVA that is where they will be so I think it works overall.

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 6th June 2014 11:55 AM

Can you post some photos of how you have covered the castleated nuts attatched to the bottom of the uprights.

hope this makes sense - im wondering how to cover mine as there is a pin going through it and im sure its in an area to be tested.

David

Stot 6th June 2014 01:25 PM

I'm pretty sure thats in the exempt area within the wishbones. Figure 5 on page 135 of the current IVA manual.

Cheers
Stot

Davidbolam 6th June 2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriesLandy (Post 97256)
It's also worth applying for the v55/5 form online as it takes 2 weeks to arrive and you can't just print it off.

Is is definately a V55/5 form.. there is also a V55/4 form which looks more appropriate?

David

Stot 18th June 2014 04:03 PM

Got my IVA date now, 8th July first thing.

Car is pretty much there now, I'm going to make a new handbrake cable but other than that its pretty much ready for the test.

It self centres, fronts lock before the rears. fuel tank earthed, new oils all round. Doesnt over heat. I havent cut myself on it in a number of weeks... What else could there be? :eek:

Cheers
Stot

Numplumb 18th June 2014 05:08 PM

Good luck should be no problem with your build the only thing I would worry about on your build is the front side repeaters there is some rule about seeing them with the main indicator at some angle don't know what I haven't got that far.
Regards Mick.

SeriesLandy 18th June 2014 05:09 PM

Good luck with the test, i can't really see anything worrying. Have you got rear reflectors?
Other than that take some tools and trim ect. My tester made me take harness bolt off so he could check depth.
He also wanted to see docs for the braided brake lines but said the website where I bought them was good enough.

K4KEV 18th June 2014 05:15 PM

Andy ....I think you might need to check the angle of visibility on your cycle wing mounted indicators specifically when on full lock right or left as if you were say turning left at a T junction traffic approaching you from the right might not see your left front indy .....just a thought bud.

Stot 18th June 2014 05:48 PM

Got reflectors in the middle of the taillight units. Ill check the angles but I think I read that the angles of visibility are tested with the wheels straight ahead. They do nipple out so should be somewhat visible.

My harness bolts go all the way through my roll bar and you can get to the ends. The lower ones can bee seen up the tranny tunnel or by pulling my side panels back a tad so hopefully I wont be taking too much out!

Cheers
Stot

j.brownster79 18th June 2014 09:09 PM

Good luck stot fingers crossed I'm sure after following your build your have no probs can't wait till it's my day!!!!! Got my chassis number the other day whoop whoop!!!!

Stot 18th June 2014 09:24 PM

Checked the angles.

There is a set square on the floor with a piece of angle at 45 degrees. From there from the floor the indicator is clearly visible.

Even at about 20 degrees you can still see it so I think it should be good!

Cheers
Stot

K4KEV 19th June 2014 12:34 AM

Yep I agree and reckon you are ok

TheArf 19th June 2014 08:25 AM

Good luck mate, it will be like a walk in the park, you will breeze it as your attention to detail is fantastic and you would have to get the inspector from hell, that's on his time of the month to fail you.

Arfon

Stot 19th June 2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheArf (Post 97460)
Good luck mate, it will be like a walk in the park, you will breeze it as your attention to detail is fantastic and you would have to get the inspector from hell, that's on his time of the month to fail you.

Arfon

Soooo you're saying it will be something big and obvious I fail on? :o :D

Tonight I am ready to set my final ride height and corner weights the easy way.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 19th June 2014 08:56 PM

Quick vid my wife took as I was taking the car back to the garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwmbKJJYUfI

Cheers
Stot

robj 21st June 2014 09:41 AM

The car is looking good and sounds nice. I'm going to have to get mine moving

Stot 26th June 2014 08:41 PM

My snagging list is down to...
  • Fit Manufacturers plate.
  • Rubber around brake pipe hole at back of tunnel
So I made myself a new manufacturers plate with the new VIN.

Etch sprayed some aluminum sheet black and laser engraved away my design. Its like reverse screen printing! :cool:

Cheers
Stot

NeilW 27th June 2014 01:22 AM

Great idea, looks very nice

TheArf 27th June 2014 09:27 AM

once again absolutely stunning work

PorkChop 27th June 2014 06:33 PM

The car looks absolutely superb Andy.

You should be very pleased with yourself.

Stot 28th June 2014 08:41 PM

Thanks again guys.

So today I thought I would give the trailer a once over and I got to thinking about the weight of it. I kinda weighed it before and thought it was about 260kg, Roadster is ~620kg and the trailer is plated to 950 so I thought I was ok.

Turns out that the trailer weighed in at a porky 410kg! :eek:

The runners were made of 2, 10 ft x 500mm pieces of 6mm steel tread plate so I have replaced that with some 18mm WBP ply and its down to 290kg.

So nearly 140kg of steel there. Seemed a bit overkill. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Stot

CTWV50 28th June 2014 09:08 PM

Is that an old caravan chassis? Been thinking of putting a trailer together lately.

Stot 28th June 2014 10:30 PM

It is but it was made into a trailer a yonk ago. New trailers are supposed to be IVAed now. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Stot

Stot 29th June 2014 08:24 PM

Some of you may remember me promoting wearing eye protection when grinding when I posted a pic my eye ball with a metal shard in it. Well I was wearing eye protection this time when the 0.8mm blade shattered,

like a hammer to the face. :eek:

I converted an old welding mask after that.

Cheers
Stot

thailoz 29th June 2014 10:33 PM

ouch !!!! glad you are ok .we do tend to take H&S a bit lightly when working on our projects but that shows you how easly it can bite you back.

full face sheild looks to be on the cards for me:o

CTWV50 30th June 2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 97717)
It is but it was made into a trailer a yonk ago. New trailers are supposed to be IVAed now. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Stot

Typical, I'll forget that idea then.:rolleyes:

StruveD 30th June 2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 97727)
Some of you may remember me promoting wearing eye protection when grinding when I posted a pic my eye ball with a metal shard in it. Well I was wearing eye protection this time when the 0.8mm blade shattered,

like a hammer to the face. :eek:

I converted an old welding mask after that.

Cheers
Stot

I would like to further add to the safety list, that if you are using a hole saw to cut through sheet steel, and said sheet steel is a crotch level... be sure to properly secure the steel from spinning. Sliced through shorts, underpants, thigh skin, and received a firm knock to the plums. After seeing my leg I wasn't sure what I was going to find in the gentleman's region.

flyerncle 30th June 2014 09:09 PM

Ahmen to that,had an 8in disc blow up on me once, luckily had full face mask hat and gloves on but still made me nearly incontinent.

Be carefull out there.

Stot 30th June 2014 09:21 PM

Well at least it wasnt in vain.

Cheers
Stot

robo 1st July 2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruveD (Post 97750)
I would like to further add to the safety list, that if you are using a hole saw to cut through sheet steel, and said sheet steel is a crotch level... be sure to properly secure the steel from spinning. Sliced through shorts, underpants, thigh skin, and received a firm knock to the plums. After seeing my leg I wasn't sure what I was going to find in the gentleman's region.

We all get a bit complacent with grinders. A friend of mine was wearing goggles and overalls while grinding when a blade gave up and it tore the top off his knuckle. Leather gloves are also a must.

Bob

Stot 1st July 2014 07:44 PM

We never listen though, even to ourselves. :rolleyes:

On the trailer, I just weighed trailer with car all strapped down and it comes in at 902kg including the ramps and has 82kg on the nose as loaded. :D Well happy.

Cheers
Stot

Stot 8th July 2014 12:30 PM

Well I'm just back from the IVA and...... I have a small list of things to do. :rolleyes:

There were a few nuts that I had forgotten to re-tighten by the end like the adjusters on the caliper end of the handbrakes but the main fail points were

Radius on the front and side repeaters.
Radius on the top of the front shocks
headrest height in its lowest position is too low.
Air filter needs securing.

Everything else they liked. Retest on 23rd. Not a bad one really, a weekend of work.

Cheers
Stot