Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Saturn/gillham/ vmax composites bodywork (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13768)

RichardH 16th November 2015 07:23 PM

ok cheers phil. alloy rear it is then

SeanI 17th November 2015 05:33 PM

like this one here

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/westfi...creen-grp.html

wylliezx9r 17th November 2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanI (Post 102376)

That will most likely fit anyway they're really flexible.

PorkChop 17th November 2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanI (Post 102376)

I believe these are ex Julian Eisel (Aerodynamix) aeroscreens.

If so, they'll fit a SSC scuttle. Julian and I offered one up against mine to check.

vmax1974 18th November 2015 07:58 AM

New aeroscreen does look very similar

flyerncle 18th November 2015 08:11 AM

Can you link/post pic of dash panel please,and when they will be available.

vmax1974 18th November 2015 09:29 AM

As soon as I have one I will get them posted

SteveH1 18th November 2015 10:18 AM

Talon if your gonna make snotty comments at least stand by them instead of deleting them straight away people still get the email with the comment if they are subscribed.
Its petty really.

vmax1974 18th November 2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH1 (Post 102386)
Talon if your gonna make snotty comments at least stand by them instead of deleting them straight away people still get the email with the comment if they are subscribed.
Its petty really.

must have missed that one

Rosco 18th November 2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH1 (Post 102386)
Its petty really.

haha busted!!

TheArf 18th November 2015 04:15 PM

So what did it say? don't keep us in suspence:confused:

vmax1974 19th November 2015 06:57 AM

Well today is the day I nip down into the land of soft southerners and collect the moulds I have hired a van made the arrangements beat the wife (not really she would kill me) kicked the dog (she too sweet to do that) and cleared the garage and sorted out the garage heating so its not like working in a cow shed anymore just a laminating table to build and I can start producing bodywork

NeilW 19th November 2015 10:03 AM

You would think it's almost Christmas! Are you going to wrap them up for yourself :D

vmax1974 19th November 2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilW (Post 102402)
You would think it's almost Christmas! Are you going to wrap them up for yourself :D

of course some super hero paper maybe a bit of frozen mixed in for good measure

MrsVmax 19th November 2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 102400)
Well today is the day I nip down into the land of soft southerners and collect the moulds I have hired a van made the arrangements beat the wife (not really she would kill me) ......

Try and remember your kind wife has her own sign in to the forum and can see when husband posts tall stories ....... see you when you get home then :eek:

SteveH1 19th November 2015 05:05 PM

Mrs vmax careful of the moulds :)

vmax1974 20th November 2015 12:10 AM

I am now back from the short trip the moulds are with me and I will start going through what needs to be done to get them in peak condition in the morning

rpjg1975 20th November 2015 05:05 AM

That was a nice easy trip then mate? Now the hard work starts!!!

Russ

flyerncle 20th November 2015 05:50 AM

Sort it out with the wife first.......:p

vmax1974 10th December 2015 12:52 PM

Now that I have everything I need to make a few body sets I am finding space a bit of a premium I can manage for now but going to have to think about a unit sooner or later anyone throwing a shed out locally for all the brother in laws tut that I seem to be storing

vmax1974 14th December 2015 08:38 AM

After what seems like weeks of wet flatting and polishing I finally have the moulds to a point where I am happy with them so this week I will pull a fresh master from the nosecone mould as I want to make a new mould eventually but now the order book is open

dont expect much before the new year but a will be taking 50% deposits and the remainder when the parts are ready for delivery/ collection

flyerncle 14th December 2015 03:24 PM

Black dash panel,COD as just up the road from you,and soon as you like.

vmax1974 15th December 2015 08:52 PM

First parts made today funny how everything comes flooding back really quickly anyway here is the first part a dash blank

flyerncle 16th December 2015 08:04 AM

Looking good ;)

TalonMotorFabrication 17th December 2015 10:51 AM

I've been looking at how the moulds are made and I have to ask why do they all the same flaws? I went to college to do industrial model making and we where taught that if you can incorporate a clean radious edge or dead edge to the moulds then you don't have the over spill of the fibres and resin. If you use woven roven or cloth up to the edges it makes them stronger and cuts down on the chance of chipping the gel during trimming, it adds to the cost of production but it cuts down the chance of producing seconds. Also making a split mould seemed rather more desirable rather than just removing the return edges and back filling the edges with plasticine to produce the edges.

TheArf 17th December 2015 11:36 AM

Phil, for god sake take a chill pill, the guy is making an attempt to sort out a supply of body parts, criticise others when your own house is fully in order.
you have threatened all sorts of developments etc, but we all know that empty vessels make the most noise.

Merry Christmas

Arfon

vmax1974 17th December 2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonMotorFabrication (Post 102550)
I've been looking at how the moulds are made and I have to ask why do they all the same flaws? I went to college to do industrial model making and we where taught that if you can incorporate a clean radious edge or dead edge to the moulds then you don't have the over spill of the fibres and resin. If you use woven roven or cloth up to the edges it makes them stronger and cuts down on the chance of chipping the gel during trimming, it adds to the cost of production but it cuts down the chance of producing seconds. Also making a split mould seemed rather more desirable rather than just removing the return edges and back filling the edges with plasticine to produce the edges.

I can only work with the tools I have

vmax1974 17th December 2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonMotorFabrication (Post 102550)

that makes no sense to me but I can only work with the tools I have but if I have learned anything from 20 years on and off of fibreglass experience those who can't.... teach!

K4KEV 17th December 2015 05:56 PM

Ok calm down guys...one thing is for certain Dave has had the balls to take this on and if nobody else had then we would all be at a loss as to where the next set of body panels would come from or be able to order rather than searching ebay or whatever for used or seconds. Constructive criticism has its place but not at the beginning of his venture....support is what Dave needs right now, I'm sure he will amend /modify his moulds to make it both easier for himself or improve quality as and when it is required .....the guy cannot run before he has walked first.

flyerncle 18th December 2015 08:11 AM

Its sensible for all that this should be the end of the conversation....;) And the product speaks for itself.

See you tomorrow Dave.

vmax1974 18th December 2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 102567)
Its sensible for all that this should be the end of the conversation....;) And the product speaks for itself.

See you tomorrow Dave.

agreed see you tomorrow

SteveH 18th December 2015 11:44 AM

ill be needing a 10 piece set with wide scoop bonnet
but im still undecided on what colour to go for
kawasaki green
cobalt blue
orange

if you have any pics of panels in the above colours it might help me decide

regards
steve

vmax1974 18th December 2015 01:02 PM

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head on the green and orange if you search member gus then look at his finished car pics thread thats the green one and search handyandy build thread for the orange

hope that helps and those bodys came from my moulds during the saturn days

JasonL 19th December 2015 08:36 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me what clearance there is on the wide scoop Saturn/Gilliam/Vmax wide scoop bonnet?

I'm at 240mm above the top rails on Phil's TMXR chassis, so I'm planning on getting some modified engine mounts to lower it, but I need to know how low to go.

If anyone has any better ideas, let me know.

RichardH 19th December 2015 10:05 AM

im using the wide scoop bonnet on a tmxr chassis mx5 1.8 engine, i sat the engine on the table and raised the chassis 40mm off the table to make the sump effectively hang 40mm below the chassis and made my engine mounts, clears the bonnet ok

JasonL 19th December 2015 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Phil. So, are you saying that the bonnet fits with the standard mounts? 240mm seems high.

SeriesLandy 19th December 2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 102570)
ill be needing a 10 piece set with wide scoop bonnet
but im still undecided on what colour to go for
kawasaki green
cobalt blue
orange

if you have any pics of panels in the above colours it might help me decide

regards
steve

My car is ral5005 signal blue. I thought it was going to be a bit darker from using a colour chart online. Cobalt looks like a nice colour

RichardH 5th February 2016 11:41 AM

any pics of how the bodywork is coming along vmax? might be in the market for some

vmax1974 28th April 2016 03:15 PM

Today Ayjay paid me a visit to collect his new nose scuttle and bonnet so after a coffee and a chat we loaded his new bodywork into his car and he is now on his way back to wales

have a safe trip home

garyt 28th April 2016 07:13 PM

looking good ........ THE BODYWORK..... lol