Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gingea1pom's Build Diary (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)

AshG 9th February 2010 10:15 PM

the clamp will fit its meant to be tight. the packer under the bigger bracket only needs to be 1.5-2mm on your front upper suspension brackets i welded a little bit of 3mm plate on to brace them as they are not central.

gingea1pom 9th February 2010 10:47 PM

Ash,

That makes perfect sense about the upper suspension bracket. I’m thinking two triangular gussets (stop sniggering at the back) would do the trick.

I have just had another bash at the steering clamp and it went on a little further. My rack is brand new and there might be an excess of paint on it!

Cheers Ginge

gingea1pom 12th February 2010 04:55 PM

11 Feb

I spent quite a bit of the day fabrication a bespoke engine stand to enable me to manoeuvre the engine and gearbox around the garage on a trolley jack without it falling over, also it will allow to fine adjust the position of the engine and gearbox in the car.

[IMG][/IMG]

I managed to get the engine and box ‘into’ the chassis, it was a little nightmare as I had already fitted the diff which made the back end really heavy, so to get the gearbox up the transmission tunnel I had to raise the front of the chassis and lower the rear. The opposite of how you would do it if you had an engine lift..

[IMG][/IMG]

It is roughly in position now and needs some measuring to get it perfect, I am going to be stuck if the 5mm steel I ordered doesn’t turn up soon because engine mounts are next.

Sierra is still on the drive!

12 Feb

Only had a couple of hours in the garage after going to ‘sharing assembly’ and before school pick up.

I concentrated on getting the output shaft of the gearbox bang in line with the input of the diff, ensuring the gear stick still goes in reverse and the reverse light switch connecters are still accessible, then I welded on the gearbox mounts (I added some ‘gussets’ to them just to beef things up a little) with the gearbox attached. As for the engine mounts, the steel hadn’t turned up so I sacked it at 1pm and watched CSI.

[IMG][/IMG]

The steel turned up at 2.30pm so tomorrow (I know Saturday and I get to go into the garage I think it is only because it is half term) I am going to mock up the complete steering system to make sure the driver’s side engine mount doesn’t encroach. I have finally admitted defeat and TR5 has got to go, I offered up the bike carbs and there is no way they will go on with it in place. Another example of Ginge thinking he knows better, rear hub nuts and now TR5, you would think I would have learnt by now.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sierra is still here.

Pictures arent working pop back later

Picture still not working properly dam it

I think I have got it now

Tatey 12th February 2010 05:58 PM

Looking really good Ginge. Although you've missed a weld on one of the uprights, look to the right of the engine in the last pic :p.

gingea1pom 12th February 2010 06:15 PM

Mate,

You must have eyes like a Hawk! I thought I had found the last missed weld the other day, thanks.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy 12th February 2010 06:40 PM

looking great Ginge, nice work

did you have the .........."looks like a car now" feeling? ;)

cos i know i did when put the engine / box in :D

Tatey........ i dropped a needle at the unit today....fancy coming over & finding it for me ????:p :D

cheers
andy

Bonzo 12th February 2010 06:52 PM

Brilliant stuff Ginge :cool:

I am pleased you posted those pictures of the gearbox position ...... It has certainly made things a lot clearer for my Zetec install :)

As I have said before ..... Those pesky Pixies sneak in the garage overnight & steal those welds :D :D

gingea1pom 12th February 2010 06:53 PM

Andy,

It defiantly feels more like I am building a car now and not just cutting and welding steel together, although I seem to have to weld something every day it is interspersed with engines and steering columns.

Ronnie,

I was really convinced I had got the last of the Chassis tube welding done, can’t believe I missed it.

Cheers Ginge

Bonzo 12th February 2010 07:14 PM

If it's any consolation ...... I missed that exact same weld .... Twice :rolleyes: :o :o

I wonder if anyone has counted how many welds there are on the Roadster chassis tubes !! :eek:

HandyAndy 12th February 2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 31322)

I wonder if anyone has counted how many welds there are on the Roadster chassis tubes !! :eek:

Hmmmmm........... now there,s a question :D NO i don,t know that answer :p as i spend more time cutting the chassis,s than welding them ;)

Ginge....

yeah , know what you mean.....its no longer a climbing frame for the kids or a "chinese puzzle"........its a CAR .

nice work mate .

cheers
andy