Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris's new build of an MX5 based car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6206)

CTWV50 18th March 2012 09:38 PM

So the second engine mount is done, very pleased with it too.

Got the front end on too....

went together really well, yet to add the rack and I got it off the table.

Forgot to take a picture before putting everything away but this will do for now.

Hip Hip Horay!!!!

BUT!

I did hit a bit of a problem. I'm not sure how much of a pain it will be to fix but basically I could only fit the rear pass side hub to the wishbones by putting about 10˚ of camber into it. Seems the driveshaft (halfshaft) is pushing the the hub too far out. also noticed that when lifting the hub it was stopped from travelling up by the driveshaft which then bounced the other hub up so something is not right. Seems I may need to think about moving the diff slightly. Took loads of measurements to see where I went wrong but can't real account for this issue using measurements alone!

skov 18th March 2012 09:56 PM

Have you got the driveshafts on the correct sides?
I think one might be longer than the other.

CTWV50 18th March 2012 10:16 PM

I thought that but I couldn't get the driveshaft out of the passenger side hub so it has to be the correct one! It's weird! Hmm my diff has push fit driveshafts maybe there is some sort of difference about them that may require a slightly different mounting of the diff. I've scrutinised the frame, it's a few mm out here and there but not enough to cause this surely??

Davidbolam 18th March 2012 11:10 PM

Do your driveshafts sit exactly in a straight line. My driveshafts angle forwards very slightly.

CTWV50 18th March 2012 11:10 PM

Ok just been out and measured the driveshafts and the passenger-side is 15mm longer than the driver-side the diff is mounted centrally in the vehicle so this would cause the issue I'm seeing. Can someone explain to me why one driveshaft is longer than the other. The diff also mounted centrally in the mx5 subframe as well so why the different lengths?:confused:

Davidbolam 18th March 2012 11:15 PM

I think the output flange on the dif is longer on one side than the other.

CTWV50 18th March 2012 11:19 PM

Mine are the later push fit driveshafts. they don't have a flange. I'm confused! I think I'll sleep on it maybe tomorrow I'll be more intelligent.:rolleyes:

CTWV50 19th March 2012 11:07 AM

It worked! I'm now more intelligent. Went out to the garage first thing.....

Drivers side outer CV....

Wishbone adjustment....

Passenger side outer CV....

Wishbone adjustment....

Seems the passenger side outer CV isn't fully home in the yoke for some reason making the driveshaft longer.

I will resolve tonight.

CTWV50 19th March 2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 71421)
Do your driveshafts sit exactly in a straight line. My driveshafts angle forwards very slightly.

Sorry missed this, yes they angle forwards.

Johno 19th March 2012 06:31 PM

Hi Chris,
Thats strange one side being longer than the other... :confused:
My friend at work has the same diff with push in splines but we hadn't noticed they were different. I will have a look in the morning and see if we can mount his rear suspension and diff. If you do need new rear tops just let me know as I still have pipe left over.

Johno