Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spark Plug Lead,s question (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5913)

HandyAndy 18th February 2011 07:12 PM

Spark Plug Lead,s question

I,m just putting the finishing touches to my car & thought about this.......

Do the Plug leads need to have the word "Surpressed" ( or words to that effect) written on them to pass the IVA ?

cheers
andy

shh120m 18th February 2011 07:34 PM

Is this something to do with anti radio interference? If so I think all modern ht leads are suppressed nowadays. I could be wrong though

flyerncle 18th February 2011 07:41 PM

There is mention in the IVA manual Andy but cant remember what/where it says but is definately to do with suppressing interference with other equipment.

Most O.E. leads have some marking on.

HandyAndy 18th February 2011 09:10 PM

Cheers Nathan, Paul...

I checked my current plug leads today, even tho they are of the "Motorcraft" brand, they don,t have any markings on them to show they are of the surpressed type,
So should I look for some that have the markings or just accept that all modern leads are manufactured to this requirement? & would Mr IVA man be happy if they don,t show any markings?

thanks
Andy

davidimurray 18th February 2011 09:24 PM

Andy - I'm in exactly the same boat - think I got the same leads as you!

The manual says -

1. The HT ignition system must be fitted with radio interference suppression equipment.
2. The trade name or mark and trade description must be present on the interference suppression equipment
3. There must be a maximum of 120mm separation between trade markings on suppression cables.

I've assumed that they will need leads with markings on them so I plan to get some new ones before IVA. Seems better than taking the risk I have read about a couple of cars failing on this

HandyAndy 19th February 2011 09:32 AM

Cheers David,
I think item 2 in your post confirms that the leads must be marked showing they comply with the interference suppression requirement .....I,ll go and get a new set, like you say, wouldn,t want such a small thing to cause a problem at the test :(

Tho, I,ve seen some leads on ebay costing around £60 :eek: ....I,ll be looking for some cheaper ones :D

cheers
andy

ozzy1 19th February 2011 10:09 AM

Take your old leads with you to the local motor factors and you can usually buy individual leads cheap as.

flyerncle 19th February 2011 11:02 AM

Used to be able to buy seperate suppressers that screwed to the middle of the cable,they had to be fitted for some competition work and were a pain and kept stopping the spark so we drilled and glued them on.;)

baz-r 20th February 2011 05:58 AM

could you lay your hands on a set just for the test andy? ;)
your using a cvh right i will see what my old lump has fitted
bit odd this because im pritty sure almost every modern ht lead id suppressed
thease days

Bonzo 20th February 2011 08:01 AM

Just my thoughts for what they are worth Andy :)

Number 2 on David's list says to me .... The word Motorcraft on the leads should be good enough for the IVA inspector.

I belive Motorcraft is an original OEM part & as such, the leads would be surpressed in accordance with the guidelines.

OEM leads have been supressed for years & the makers name should be good enough proof of, type approval.

That said .... If you are in any doubt, change them, not worth paying out for an IVA re-test over a set of leads ;)