Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   proper front uprights (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5886)

fabbyglass 14th February 2011 02:04 PM

proper front uprights

I have got some nifty drawings for some nifty front uprights that along with some nifty wishbones may well be available very soon to fit the Roadster and other Sierra based kits as well as the earlier Ecort based numbers.
No prices as yet as the engineering type bod is still faffing about but they will come powder coated and wearing ali hubs....very trick very NOT ugly Sierra items oh and lighter;)

Please form an ordeley queue armed with as many creme eggs as you can stuff in yer pockets.

Deanno 14th February 2011 06:34 PM

would the front lower be the same bracket fitment as the ones in the book?

any ideas on pricing?

fabbyglass 14th February 2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanno (Post 53243)
would the front lower be the same bracket fitment as the ones in the book?

any ideas on pricing?

Can do that yeah.....No idea on quids yet as engineering bod sussing the upright drawings I gave him hasn't got back to me yet hence my stupid jokes etc as I'm bored:o

Talonmotorsport 14th February 2011 09:19 PM

Sounds interesting.

Tilly819 14th February 2011 10:23 PM

whats are the effects on the suspension geometry???
KPI? distance between mounting points, obviously scrub will be determined by tyre width and wheel offset but what wheel and tyre combination results in what scrub would be nice?

material?

sorry for the difficult questions but for me at least the answers are critical

tilly

carlknight1982 15th February 2011 10:17 AM

Would these be a direct replacement for those of us who have already used sierra gear

fabbyglass 15th February 2011 11:45 AM

Not heard back from engineering bod yet and as he has the drawings and I have a crap memory for numbers I don't know dimensions :o

They will be used on the new "beasts" yes "beasts" as there are 3 on the cards. 3 totally different to each other, 2 are not really new shapes but 1 is just mad, or is that me that's mad:rolleyes:

chriseyj 15th February 2011 12:30 PM

These sound very interesting! would be good if they were direct replacements for the Sierra items though without the need to buy new wish bones.
The Sierra uprights weigh a ton, surley an easy way to save a bit of weight.

fabbyglass 15th February 2011 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sneak preview so to speak clickety click

Janne E 15th February 2011 04:58 PM

Looks good:)

Janne

jasongray5 15th February 2011 04:58 PM

They look very trick Mark!

Talonmotorsport 15th February 2011 05:52 PM

They look very simular to the one piece bent steel plate with stub axle welded on type used by 80% of NASA autograss classes 5 7 8 9 10. will they be about £40 each?

fabbyglass 15th February 2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 53301)
They look very simular to the one piece bent steel plate with stub axle welded on type used by 80% of NASA autograss classes 5 7 8 9 10. will they be about £40 each?

Nowt is ever new and these are certainly far from new as I along with Marc Norden at MNR sports cars were given the drawings to make them way back in 2005.
I think Marc uses cast uprights these days on his damn fine cars so now I have found them again I want to have them made, I can use a lathe and twirl a tig but I prefer clean hands these days...:D

ozzy1 16th February 2011 01:01 AM

Look very cortina-esque.

fabbyglass 16th February 2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy1 (Post 53328)
Look very cortina-esque.

Along the lines of yep and no silly off set mushrooms and wondering where the geometry is as it's critical it's the same both sides of the car.

minicountryman1961 16th February 2011 05:09 PM

Pinto Mustang II spindles/hubs

These are popular in USA on street rods. 1" taller than Sierra. Lots of parts available to fit, including of course, Wilwood brakes.

http://www.wilwood.com/Pdf/Flyers/fl193A.pdf

fabbyglass 16th February 2011 05:52 PM

They are a far better option than using sierra uprights, just wish the engineering bod would hurry up now as I'm writing even more tripe than usual...:D

Andy J 3rd March 2011 12:24 PM

Any news on these yet would be intrested in a set

fabbyglass 3rd March 2011 12:42 PM

Well yes and no but what we have done is.......drawn things up all proper like and there will be a set of front upper and lower wishbones to keep the same track as using Sierra parts on the Roadster.

This has all been done with poota trickery to optimise (wow big word for me) geometry and ensure the parts work together and make for a dapper of a sports car as far prettier than the fugly Sierra lumpyness that used to be the bottom of a strut....;)

Set will comprise:
Pair fabricated uprights.
Pair upper wishbones
Pair lower wishbones
Lower ball joints as they differ from standard Sierra based Roadster.

Oh and will be powder wotsitted pink for much prettyness:cool:

fabbyglass 4th March 2011 10:48 PM

Anyone else interested in this as would like some idea if worth going mad with it:o

CaptainCrash1971 4th March 2011 11:23 PM

I suppose interest will very much depend on price. If they look trick, and don't cost a fortune, then they should sell pretty well.
I suppose the stumbling block will be for people who already have front bones who don't wanna have to shell out on new ones.

fabbyglass 12th March 2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainCrash1971 (Post 54510)
I suppose interest will very much depend on price. If they look trick, and don't cost a fortune, then they should sell pretty well.
I suppose the stumbling block will be for people who already have front bones who don't wanna have to shell out on new ones.

I have been tad busy with daft t shirts buuuuuuuuuuuuuut should be in a position next week to sort prices etc out and hopefully some photties

maxubar 12th April 2012 03:01 PM

Any news on this one?

Thanks

Ricky 12th April 2012 06:51 PM

proper front uprights

Nice to see I'm not the only Portuguese person building a locost but yes good question is there any news on that uprights ?

mark 12th April 2012 08:28 PM

I saw a flying pig from my window the other day and it had a perfect fabricated roadster front upright dangling from its tail :D

Bonzo 12th April 2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 72323)
I saw a flying pig from my window the other day and it had a perfect fabricated roadster front upright dangling from its tail

:D :D

Did it have a Triangles hanging from each ear & knackers .... If not, it'll wallow like a pig when cornering.
Not to mention, look a bit on the lardy side !!

Sorry, I'll get my coat :o :D

wylliezx9r 12th April 2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 72323)
I saw a flying pig from my window the other day and it had a perfect fabricated roadster front upright dangling from its tail :D

Was the pig eating toblerone? :D

robo 12th April 2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wylliezx9r (Post 72328)
Was the pig eating toblerone? :D

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...eWheel%27d.jpg

I think I have re invented the wheel:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob

ayjay 12th April 2012 09:47 PM

Steady on lads -the flames dont need feeding.You cant keep the moral high ground by diving in the swamp

Come back Eric Cantona theres a job for you on here:D

ayjay 12th April 2012 09:52 PM

Have a laugh instead Never keep the paint in the boot
:D https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...bwBgS8E &sads
https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...ye1TkxigOLHtCs
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...1257d_0.3&z w
https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...0y1rnK6YHmyKQwhttps://mail-attachment.googleuserco...tQAfL9e0uNOEkA

robo 12th April 2012 10:57 PM

On a serious note an upright according to the clever people should have zero kingpin inc. and produce zero scrub:confused: . that leaves just caster for self centering. Well the first two cant be done easily so the whole thing becomes a compromise. From the notes I have been reading if you require 5 deg. of caster you should have double that figure for kpi. So even if someone makes a special upright it will still be a compromise. To achieve any more adjustable parameters other than camber all that is needed is a fully adjustable top wishbone. There are loads of uprights out there that are suitable that tick enough boxes if you do a bit of research.

Bob

================... KPI ......... caster

Lotus Elise........................ 12° ......... 3.8° caster
Corvette C5, C6................. 8.8° ...... 6.5° caster
Pinto/MustangII/Wilwood... 11°
Ferrari 512BB............... 9 or 13°
ATS AFX Tall..................... 8°
Triumph Spitfire................ 7° ..........4.7° caster
Lotus Seven..................... 9° .......... 5° caster
Mazda Miata................... 11.3° ........ 5° caster
Ferrari F355................... 13.16°
McLaren F1...................... 9° ........... 6° caster ...... 16.25mm scrub

Dont know how much more toblerone I can eat:)

MarkB 13th April 2012 09:01 AM

Strange, If I say anything remotely hinting that there are issues with how the suspension works I get slapped down and accused of having an attitude.

Read what you write, you are no more than pre school kids bitching over who is going to sit near teacher!!!

And Ronnie, I thought you were a moderator so meant to be unbiased or is that a case of pot calling the kettle black yet again?
As for that registered 7 you bought, I hope it's not the one that was for sale in Helston as that is a ringer and not legally registered as it uses a Dutton log book..

Heyo I can hear the Stukas firing up:D :D :D

Bonzo 13th April 2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB (Post 72360)
Strange, If I say anything remotely hinting that there are issues with how the suspension works I get slapped down and accused of having an attitude.

Read what you write, you are no more than pre school kids bitching over who is going to sit near teacher!!!

And Ronnie, I thought you were a moderator so meant to be unbiased or is that a case of pot calling the kettle black yet again?
As for that registered 7 you bought, I hope it's not the one that was for sale in Helston as that is a ringer and not legally registered as it uses a Dutton log book..

Heyo I can hear the Stukas firing up

Mark

Sorry if my post offended you mate :(

Long story short, I was bored & was just having a little fun :D

True I am a moderator but there was nothing in the job decription about not being allowed to have a sense of humour or irony !!

As for my new project mate " Wouldn't you just love to know " :D

Sorry, you'll just have to wait till you spot it on the road.

Will be real easy to spot, bright Red 7 & I will be the one driving with my head held high :p

Edited to add

Anyhow, this thread is getting a little off topic so back to the original question.

How are you getting on with the fabricated uprights & is there any news on when they will be hitting the market ?

ayjay 13th April 2012 12:53 PM

I will be the one driving with my head held high

Make sure its below the roll bar:D

ozzy1 13th April 2012 01:46 PM

On the line of uprights found an excellent site with lots of cad pics and a lot of stuff with the haynes roadster in mind.Dont know if its been posted before but its very good.

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/