Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GRP rear tub - a bit too wide...? (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13238)

jps 1st April 2014 09:16 PM

GRP rear tub - a bit too wide...?

Last night I finally got round to offering up the Equinox rear tub that I bought 14 months ago....

It was only a very rough placing of the panel over the frame - but it seems to be coming up slightly on the wide side. I measured the chassis width - and it is bang on the book spec. I didn't measure the GRP precisely - but would estimate that the GRP panel is about 8-10mm over width altogether - so overhanging the metalwork by about 4-5mm each side.

First thought is that I space out the side panels an equivalent amount (assuming I have enough material on them to do so) - to maintain a 'straight side' to the bodywork.

Or do I need to look at another solution?

Numplumb 1st April 2014 11:46 PM

I bought mine from Equinox and it fits perfect, we'll made part can't fault there products.

Regards Mick.

Ben_Copeland 2nd April 2014 08:16 AM

As with Mick,

Perfect fit, and the original panels/mould where built on a Haynes chassis.

How have you stored the panel? It's not been laying on it's back with the sides in the air has it??

jps 2nd April 2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 96480)
As with Mick,

Perfect fit, and the original panels/mould where built on a Haynes chassis.

How have you stored the panel? It's not been laying on it's back with the sides in the air has it??

It has mostly been stored in the position it would actually be fitted to the chassis - but has spent some time as you've described.

I do understand that GRP can warp - and be bent back to shape too - but given the 'lip' that the moulding has - I'm not sure how the whole thing is slightly too wide though? It's not as though it has splayed outwards at the open end - it's as though the whole panel (i.e. - the bit the numberplate will attach to) is a few mm wider than it needs to be...

Anyway - regardless of how it has got like this - what's the best approach to get it to fit?

a) mount the rear panel and side panels slightly away from the chassis (pad it out with something)
b) try and persuade the rear panel to fit to the chassis somehow
c) something else

Ben_Copeland 2nd April 2014 04:00 PM

In reality it doesn't really matter too much if its not tight to the chassis.

Mines riveted along the bottom flange to the chassis and riveted behind the rear arches.

Once the rear arches are fitted I don't think you'll notice if the ends are pulled in slightly as the panel will be pulled about to match the arch shape.

jps 2nd April 2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 96490)
In reality it doesn't really matter too much if its not tight to the chassis.

Mines riveted along the bottom flange to the chassis and riveted behind the rear arches.

Once the rear arches are fitted I don't think you'll notice if the ends are pulled in slightly as the arches will be pulled about to match the arch shape.

Fair enough - I did look at the pics of Stots car on his build thread and basically go "ah - it'll all be covered up by wheel arch anyway"!!!

Is your car going to be at Stoneleigh Ben? If so I'll come and have a good look at it!!!! (with a T-square in hand!)

Ben_Copeland 2nd April 2014 04:28 PM

I'm hoping to be, but not sure yet. Have to see who else is going from Kent.

Otherwise your welcome to visit Margate and i'll take you out in it

Stot 2nd April 2014 05:16 PM

My tub fitted ok too but I probably had to coax it a little bit. I had more or a problem with my side panels but have it looking ok now albeit with a gap at the front top rails.

Cheers
Stot

Ben_Copeland 2nd April 2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stot (Post 96495)
My tub fitted ok too but I probably had to coax it a little bit. I had more or a problem with my side panels but have it looking ok now albeit with a gap at the front top rails.

Cheers
Stot

My side panels were bloody tight by the time they went over the aluminium floor panel !

Stot 2nd April 2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 96496)
My side panels were bloody tight by the time they went over the aluminium floor panel !

They were definately tight and this was splaying them out a bit so I ended up with a gap but I packed it out in places and have it looking descent now. once the nose is on etc.

Dave very kindly sent me some yellow and green gelcoat today to touch up my nosecone and other scrapes. Top bloke.

Cheers
Stot